06 auto temp control

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 10:59 AM
My Wife's car but my toy!
Default 06 auto temp control

Does the 06 HCH auto temp control turn the a/c on and off as needed? Or does it leave the a/c on and just run the air passed the heater core when it is cold. Here in Houston we have a lot of winter days when it starts out cool 40-50 F (I know that is warm for some of you ) and then warms up to the high 70's F. My wife turns on the a/c when she gets in the my current car in the warmer afternoons and never turns it off that evening or the next morning. I was wondering if the auto temp feature will out smart her. If she just sets a temp of 72 will it turn the a/c compressor off when the heater comes on and leave it off until it is needed to cool things down in the afternoon and then go back to off for the next morning?

Thanks!

Old 12-01-2005, 11:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 06 auto temp control

Yes it cycles the AC or heat as needed (at least in the HAH), along with fan speed. Above 85 outside it automatically goes into recirc, too. Forcing the AC off disengages auto mode.

I assume the HCH is the same; the owner manual should explain for certain.

Old 12-01-2005, 03:05 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gonavy
Yes it cycles the AC or heat as needed (at least in the HAH), along with fan speed. Above 85 outside it automatically goes into recirc, too. Forcing the AC off disengages auto mode.

In my 06, forcing off the A/C doesn't seem to turn off auto mode, it just prevents auto mode from using the A/C. It will still auto control the fan and recirc/fresh to try to meet the temp set point.

Old 12-01-2005, 05:04 PM
4 Kids-Can't afford gas!

Originally Posted by gonavy

Unless I am misunderstanding you, this isn't correct. I've had three Hondas with Auto Climate and they all work the same. When in AUTO mode, the AC is always "ON" unless the temperature falls below around 32 degrees. Now, that doesn't mean that the compressor is always running (which may be what you were saying)...it still cycles off and on. It is the same as when you turn the AC to the ON position manually...the compressor cycles off and on. Even when you are heating the car, the compressor is cycling off and on. That's why I turn the AUTO off during the fall and winter...and gas mileage goes up about 10%-15%.

Turning the AC off will not allow the compressor to ever engage. This means that the coldest the air through the vents will get is approximately the outside air temp.