A question for owners of white HAH's - I need tips on stain removal!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 02:23 PM
Enthusiast
Default A question for owners of white HAH's - I need tips on stain removal!

Okay, I know it's a superficial topic, but I need some tips from any fellow white HAH owners. This is only my 2nd white car ever. My first choice was the Desert Mist but I couldn't find one back in April around my area. So my second choice was the white because I wanted a tan interior. Since I've owned it, the white has really grown on me and I love how it looks now.

I was worried that it would easily get dusty and dirty, but I've been pretty pleased with how it looks even between washes (usually once a week or every 2 weeks). I used to have black and that was the worst - it would look dusty right after I washed it.

But the problem I'm having is with scuffs, I think generally from rubber shoe soles. I always notice a few black scuffs right at the base of the car, right underneath the doors. I guess it usually happens when the driver or a passenger gets out and their shoes hit the side of the car before getting out. When I go to wash the car, I'm able to get these stains out, but it takes quite a bit of effort rubbing out those marks with the cheesecloth side of my car wash mitt. Question is...does anybody have a better, quicker way to remove these kinds of stains? Maybe some type of solution? I don't to mess up the finish on the paint, but was hoping there is a shortcut.

Also, what does everyone use to clean the Navi screen? I've been using dry cotton cloths to wipe it, but thought maybe there is a cleaner I should use. And what about the wood trim?

Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks!!

Old 09-28-2005, 03:24 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: A question for owners of white HAH's - I need tips on stain removal!

I've been using a dry or slightly damp microfiber cloth made for windows on the navi screen. In fact I keep one in the glove box so when I see smudges I can pull it out and remove them.

Rich

Old 09-28-2005, 04:15 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: A question for owners of white HAH's - I need tips on stain removal!

Sorry savvy, but I haven't had to remove any stains yet, so I don't have any proven solution for you. Once you get them off, a coat of good carnuba wax or better yet a synthetic acrylic wax such as Klasse All-in-One may make them easier to remove if they reappear. Btw, the Klasse AIO is an excellent cleaner. I believe it uses a mild solvent to clean so it is non abrasive (or at least so micro-fine that it doesn't leave scratches or swirl marks). It also has an acrylic wax component that outlasts any carnuba based product. Good stuff and I highly reccommend. Sold mostly on-line, so just google it.

For the NAVI screen, I picked up a container of pre-moistened computer screen wipes from Walmart. They come in a container like "baby wipes" (if you know what those are), except smaller container. The wipes pull out one at a time and work great. Plus the solution is supposedly "anti-static" to repel dust.

Old 09-28-2005, 07:45 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Daddywags and Kaymack for those tips. I do have regular baby wipes in the car coincidentally, just to wipe my hands after I fill up at the gas station. I am kind of a neat freak when it comes to my car. I haven't put a coat of wax on the car yet, so maybe that will help.

Just curious, how much do you guys like the white color? Have you owned white cars before? I think white is very classy and elegant and actually make the car look bigger. I really have fallen in love with the color.

Old 09-29-2005, 03:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

I owned a white Toyota pickup for about 10 years and I noticed a huge difference in the temperature inside the vehicle compared to my dark blue Acura Legend when both were parked in the sun. And of course the white doesn't show the dirt as much as darker colors do. In California I think white is a very smart choice. However I feel in love with the Graphite Pearl. I probably wouldn't be putting the AC on when the temps hit the upper 70's if I had gotten white.

Rich

Old 09-30-2005, 11:40 AM
Enthusiast

I also have a white HAH. I initially found that every bug and drip stuck or stained the car, but since I got a good coat of carnauba wax on, it has been much better. If you use a solvent to remove the really tough ones, (like tar) you will have to re-wax. Solvents remove the wax also.

Old 09-30-2005, 02:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Savvy, I would be careful with the regular baby wipes. Some of them contain lanolin or other products to promote a rash free baby bottom and I don't think you want that on your NAV screen. The computer screen wipes have an alcohol base that evaporates quickly and leaves no residue that I can see.

Also, you mentioned the wood trim. I don't think it's wood and is most likely some type of composite resin (I tried not to say "plastic" here so I wouldn't hurt my own feelings)...anyway, I would guess a damp microfiber cloth would work or any other mild solution that can be used to safely clean "the p word".

BTW, I love the Taffeta white. I wanted the tan leather and woodgrain rather than grey with brushed metal, so it was between white and desert mist. I especially like the way the all red taillights look with the white. It does make the car look larger. I can tell a distinct difference in the temp inside the car after being closed up on a hot afternoon compared to other non-white cars that I have owned...much much cooler. The car stays cleaner too except here in the city there is some type of black fallout that accumulates like dust every day. IUsually it's not visible, but if we go for a few days without rain and then get a small shower, the black dust streaks and is very visible. Usually I counter this with a quick jet spray from a garden hose (2 minute job) and I'm good to go.

Old 09-30-2005, 05:35 PM
Enthusiast

Kaymack, thanks for the tips. I just use the baby wipes for my hands, not for the car. I do love how the white looks against the red taillights and also my limo-tint rear windows.

I am going to try a good coat of wax and I'm sure that will help. I used to do that with my previous car and it did make a difference. I do know what you mean about the dust or dirt showing up after a light shower--that is a little annoying. It really shows up mainly on the bumper.

But I am very happy with my taffeta white color too. But I have some bad news to report, someone recently dinged my bumper. I was parked on the street at the post office and I think someone tapped it while parallel parking. So there's a hairline crack and speck of chipped paint on my previously perfect bumper. Oh well, I guess that's what touch up paint is for.