Hybrids: 06 HCH "Bloo"/ 06 HAH "Electra"

Hello David from around Nashville, TN.

Terry from around Franklin, TN.

tigerhonaker

Old 02-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HAH upgrades?

Looks good, David! Thanks for the pics.

As you've already pointed out, the 2" drop decreased your useful load, or GVWR. Someone in another thread has already mentioned that they think cars are normally oversprung. Well, not really. They're sprung to give a good mix of performance both with only one person in the car AND with 5 adults and 2.5 suitcases in the trunk (or whatever luggage those little charts at rental companies show). However, since most of the time, only one maybe two people are usually in the car, it'll look as if it's sitting too high and feel oversprung.

*True* racers will usually lower their car due to suspension tuning by calculating how much sag and rebound they need at their given weight. The lowered stance of the car is just a byproduct. Since the car/motorcycle/truck/riding lawnmower looks a lot more aggressive with the lowered stance, people seek that look out by lowering their own cars. Mostly always for the aesthetic appeal. But their unintentional byproduct is usually better handling (up to a point; miss the perfect balance and your car will handle worse!), and as David pointed out, better highway MPGs.

David, I wonder if you upgraded the struts, maybe even ones that are designed for the coil-overs you have, if that'll help with the expansion joints and such? When I did the suspension on my old truck, I was able to drop it 4" front and 6" rear and with the correct shocks installed with the right amount of dampening and rebound set it felt like it rode much better than stock.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:43 PM
hypermiler wannabe

Originally Posted by bar10dah
Looks good, David! Thanks for the pics.

David, I wonder if you upgraded the struts, maybe even ones that are designed for the coil-overs you have, if that'll help with the expansion joints and such? When I did the suspension on my old truck, I was able to drop it 4" front and 6" rear and with the correct shocks installed with the right amount of dampening and rebound set it felt like it rode much better than stock.
Thanks! I just did my "school bus run" and covered 110 miles. Still liking the set for now at least. No, I did not change the struts; the shop that did the install said they had no leaks and seemed like they hadn't been used (previous owner babied the car) So for the time being, I'm keeping it as-is. I'll need new tires by summer and will consider further 'tweaking' then.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

How does the ride change? Are they sodter/stiffer than stock? And I noticed that there are TL sets and Accord V6 sets with different lowering heights/rates. Did you use the TL set?

Hell, I should make an offer on the car I'm looking at before ordering sprigs for it I guess. Don't think he'd like me swapping springs before the titles changes hands...

Old 02-26-2009, 06:10 PM
hypermiler wannabe

Originally Posted by houseofcharm
How does the ride change? Are they sodter/stiffer than stock? And I noticed that there are TL sets and Accord V6 sets with different lowering heights/rates. Did you use the TL set?

Hell, I should make an offer on the car I'm looking at before ordering sprigs for it I guess. Don't think he'd like me swapping springs before the titles changes hands...
I've got about 350miles on them now and I admit the ride is a bit firmer than stock, but mostly unnoticeable, except for expansion joints and pavement transitions. They seem progressive as small dips are smooth, but abrupt impacts are harsher.

Yes, I did order the TL, but the online store didn't have stock for the Accord. A few google searches later suggested the same part # for the Accord V6 and the TL. I really can't say; the local Honda garage did the labor and didn't say a thing about fit.