Power Dock Lock Motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 05:33 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Power Dock Lock Motor

My 05 HAH is having problems with the driver door power lock, it won't operate with the remote or the control in the car. Anyone have a service manual and can help? Does it have a motor or is it controlled another way? The problem just started and may be intermittent because I got it to work once yesterday but won't today. Thanks

Old 12-30-2008, 10:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Power Dock Lock Motor

Mine did the same thing. Towards the end of it's life, it would work slower than the rest of the locks. When standing outside of the car and hitting unlock on the remote, I would hear all the other locks pop up, then the driver lock would slowly move to the unlock position. And same with locking, it would be the last to move and would be slow to do so. I think I took my car in around 37K and the dealer replaced it under warranty. How many miles do you have on your HAH? It might be worth your time to see if they'll repair it under warranty even if your warranty has expired.

Now that I have 55K, my passenger side lock is starting to act the same way. Of course, with my current mileage, I'm sure the dealer won't replace it under warranty. So, I just might buy the lock from the parts counter and tackle the job myself. If I do so, I'll try to remember to take pics and post a step by step to help others DIY.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:33 AM

Oh, and when my lock was going out, sometimes I'd have to hit unlock/lock a second time in order to get the lock to operate. You could try that to see if it'll get you by until you can have it replaced.

The most important thing to remember during this time is to make sure the door is locked when you leave the car. I've forgotten to check to see if the lock did indeed lock a few times and had left the car parked in a shopping center, with several pilferable items sitting in the center console and passenger seat. Talk about an easy target...

Old 12-30-2008, 04:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hey I'd really appreciate the pics. You have a service manual? I remember working on my Hyundais power window motor and I nearly tore the panel to get into the door, those things aren't easy to take off especially in the dark. My HAH has over 100k on it so honda probably won't do me no favors on giving me the motor on the house. Im the 2nd owner of this car.
I was hoping the problem was the cold at first but then it warmed up. What does honda want for the new motor? Thanks

Old 12-30-2008, 07:13 PM

I've never priced the motor, but since it's a Honda part, I'm sure it's not cheap.

Yep, I've got a service manual. I'll do my best to do a step by step with pics. However, it might be a few months before I tackle this job. Even sooner if the motor completely fails on me.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:40 PM

My lock is getting slower. And, I cycled through several locks/unlocks and it just stops after a few cycles. Then after a few minutes, it works again. Strange. Like it's overheating or something. Which I know is not the case, but intriguing nonetheless.

The next time I'm in the dealer I'll ask about the cost for a new lock.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:17 PM
Enthusiast

Ours just went out too at 38K miles and was replaced under the extended warranty. My wife wondered how this could be a problem so soon, and I explained to her how the engineers at Honda designed the part to just make it past the original 36K warranty.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:50 PM

Bought the lock actuator today. $27.04 list price, from the dealer. I've never seen an actuator like this before. I'm old school, and was expecting a cylinder type actuator. If anyone knows anything about solenoids, that's what I was expecting. A coil wrapped around a plunger. Boy was I surprised. I thought the parts guy brought up the wrong part at first.

I haven't decided when I'll get around to pulling that door apart yet. But, since I was at the dealer today, I thought I'd pick it up. That way, when I do feel like doing it, I'll already have the part.

Last edited by bar10dah; 02-26-2009 at 07:51 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 02-27-2009, 08:29 PM

Okay, I did the job today. Write up is here.