HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Why did you buy HCH II over Prius?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 10:57 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Why did you buy HCH II over Prius?

Nope.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

So Xavier6261, why did you by one then?

Old 03-30-2007, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mikeyt758
I think the point I was trying to make is why are you going 90mph? wasn't the reason to get a hybrid(any brand) is to conserve fuel and be more environmentally friendly?
I bought a hybrid to conserve less fuel than I would with the equivalent non-hybrid. Also I liked the technology.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

Some interesting points here. I think if you were concerned about least fuel consumption and pure economy, a more affordable sub-compact fits the bill. If you were concerned about emissions, then perhaps an electric vehicle, or why not public transportation? I think the HCH and the Prius fit in a nexus for many kinds of reasons to buy one.

Last edited by HyMinded; 04-02-2007 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

My original mindset was for a Prius...I had driven a Pontiac Vibe for over 3 years and liked the unusual body style...my dad could spot me on the highway, he loved it! I was in purchase mode a few weeks ago and had already visited the Toyota lots. Problem 1 was the price with Navigation and 2 was the very low trade in they offered. Later that day I saw a guy with a Prius at a gas station and started up a conversation about his car and he spoke of how he owned an HCH as well as the Prius and their milage was virtually equal with the HCH actually getting slightly better overall. I went home that night and started my research and yes the HCH was for me for these reasons:

1. Lower price with the navigation package.
2. My dealer gave a much better trade-in on my Vibe.
3. The ride is much better than the Prius.
4. Since I do a considerable amount of highway driving the HCH is more suited for me.
5. Hoping for fewer mechanical problems since is does not switch between electric engine and gas engine.

Drawbacks:
1. The only one is kind of silly, but this car is more generic looking than my Vibe or the Prius and my friends and family don't recognize me. Especially since my HCH is the invisible silver color, so I have since added an antenna ball (my version of a vanity plate).

Old 05-21-2007, 08:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

To each his own. I was ready to buy the HCH over the Prius until the test drive. I personally think the ride quality of the HCH is horrific. Especially from the back seats.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Xavier6162
I personally think the ride quality of the HCH is horrific. Especially from the back seats.
Oh, well, I quess I didn't test drive it from the back seats...I generally drive sitting in the driver's seat.

I test drove both the Prius and the HCH on the same road for my comparison test and I felt the ride was more solid in the HCH.

But this is just relative...if the Prius road better for you then that is YOUR answer.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:59 PM
Happy Camper Enthusiast

I was a Prius fan until I really looked into and tested the HCH. Turned out the only thing the Prius had really better was about 2 mpg (real-world) and a slightly smoother ride. On the downside, it was
- notably harsher/louder/less refined. I couldn't believe I was in a Toyota.
- nearly $10,000 more optioned as we wanted it.
- needlessly unconventional and unhelpful with respect to instrumentation and some aspects of operation (like turning it on and off).
- much overhyped in terms of efficiency.

In short, the Honda was using much less weirdness to do virtually the same level of goodness. And, in this segment, I think the Honda's handling and steering are just about unbeatable, and its look and feel are just way-cool.

--doug

Old 07-18-2007, 11:18 PM
Enthusiast

I thoroughly researched and test drove both the Prius and HCHII. Each has its pros and cons and both are fine hybrids of distinctly different flavors. However, in the end, my desire to maintain a connection with the driving experience (steering feel, handling, ergonomics, design) made the HCHII the obvious choice. The experience from the driver's seat made me want to drive it again and again. I admire its sleek exterior shape. In contrast, I felt disconnected from the Prius due to its overall isolation from the driving experience (which is highly subjective but likely factors into the success of that model). Overall, the Prius is the finest laptop on wheels. The HCHII, however, preserves those subtle automotive elements that make driving fun.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

It’s the market that determines the better mouse trap.

Quick Reply: Why did you buy HCH II over Prius?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands