HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Why did you buy HCH II over Prius?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 07:00 AM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: Why did you buy HCH II over Prius?

Please, give it a rest Xavier6162.

Everybody knows what and how you think. I am happy for you.

On the other hand, did you ever think for a minute that a Prius has more negatives for some folks than positives... or are you unilaterally suggesting you know better than those who actually "live" with both cars?

Please enjoy your choice and let others do the same.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 07-19-2007, 07:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

I’m happy with my choice. But I must express my confusion at the hostile manner at which you see fit to address me on this subject. I’m not the one searching for excuses and affirmation while working out a few foolish variations on a worthless theme. I stated a fact you didn’t want to hear? You are a little too defensive…for what purpose? Never mind. I don't what to know and I don't want to see you highjack this tread because of unresolved personal issues.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:46 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Xavier6162

I am sorry, but no hostility was intended. To be truly hostile I would have explicitly questioned your motives to post in a thread clearly named "Why did you buy HCH II over Prius?". In kind, I did not do that.

In the other hand, posting in this thread is not unnatural especially for those who actually bought and own HCH II's.

Take care.

MSantos

Old 07-19-2007, 08:06 AM
Happy Hybrid Owner

I bought 2 HCH-II at about the same time. I wanted to buy one HCH and one Prius, or at least consider the Prius but the Toyota dealers made it impossible for me.
  • They didn't have a current model Prius
  • They didn't have a brochure for the car.
  • I couldn't test drive the Prius (none available).
  • Only one dealer had a previous year Prius but would only let me sit inside, no test drive unless I'd put an offer for a new one. Sitting in the Prius was like sitting on a church or park bench.
Every time I buy a new car I look at Toyotas but I never buy one. Normally the look of the cars and the dealers unfriendliness sends me back to a Honda or Acura vehicle.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:56 AM
Part Time Hybrids

Adding my 2 cents:
  • I don't feel as old driving the HCH over the Prius
  • Since most of the driving is highway there is little mpg difference
  • HCH looks better to my taste
  • And yes, being 5'4 the rear window view in the Prius was an issue too
  • Dealer friendlyness too, Toyota sales people remind me of verizon cell phone guys, slick, surly young men oozing ego all over the floor

I think down the road too, 5 years or more from now the civic will still be stylish I think, while the prius won't age as well, I compare it to the looks of the former generation prius.

Could be honda bias too. The family garage and driveway currently hold a Pilot, my hybrid, and 2 accord sedans

Last edited by Sungod18; 07-19-2007 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

For me it was pretty simple-

Prius is pretty ugly, it has a solid rear axle, and I'd rather support Honda's technology.

edit: and I love the overall design of the HCH.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Katz6768
I bought 2 HCH-II at about the same time. I wanted to buy one HCH and one Prius, or at least consider the Prius but the Toyota dealers made it impossible for me.
  • They didn't have a current model Prius
  • They didn't have a brochure for the car.
  • I couldn't test drive the Prius (none available).
  • Only one dealer had a previous year Prius but would only let me sit inside, no test drive unless I'd put an offer for a new one. Sitting in the Prius was like sitting on a church or park bench.
Every time I buy a new car I look at Toyotas but I never buy one. Normally the look of the cars and the dealers unfriendliness sends me back to a Honda or Acura vehicle.
It seems that many of the illogical branch of environmentalists (as opposed to logical ones), like those who ignorantly have force 10's of thousands of TONS of radioactive uranium and thorium upon the environment by arm-twisting politicians into pushing coal power plants instead of drastically cleaner nuclear plants, and pushing ethanol, and paper rather than plastic bags, they all seem to "identify" with the Prius.

These folks are horribly ignorant of the facts.

"No Prius for me"

Old 07-19-2007, 08:41 PM
Enthusiast

Since I already stated why I chose the HCHII over the Prius earlier in this thread, I'd like to share my observations of HCHII owners (of which I know two) vs Prius owners (of which I know six). This is a small sample of people, but I feel that my observations may apply to a broader range of the hybrid-driving population. Now, I don't personally know anyone who owns both the HCH and Prius together but clearly those individuals are in an entirely different league and are the "exceptions" within the hybrid community since they know first-hand the true benefits that both vehicles bring to the market. That said, here are my observations:

First, the Prius has achieved a peculiar status among those who desire to "see and be seen" as environmentally responsible. It's a car that many people want to be seen with in much the same way they want to be seen with an iPhone or a Prada handbag. The Prius is technology fashion that, for the most part, has been happily snapped up by the same people who once purchased Escalades for the same vain reason: see and be seen. Now, I have great respect for anyone who makes the hybrid choice regardless of their motives. But I believe it to be a rare Prius owner who actually knows anything about their car, how it does what it does, or who is even aware that there are any other hybrids in existence except the Prius. None of my Prius acquaintances even considered the HCHII and three of them didn't even know what the HCH was.

So clearly, the HCH has attracted a different consumer. I doubt there is an HCH owner in existence who isn't fully aware of the other hybrid offerings on the market and what sets those vehicles apart. I believe most HCH owners researched, test drove, and compared HCH and Prius before making their decisions. In short, the HCH crowd overall may be more technically savvy and more appreciative of the technology that makes the HCH the fine machine it is. Their decisions were based on sound comparisons instead of impulse.

Of course, this is just my opinion, and there are always exceptions. But it is interesting to note that even in the Discussion threads of this very website, HCH posts outnumber Prius posts by a factor of over 4-to-1. This is made even more interesting by the fact that the Prius outsells the HCH by a similar margin and that the Prius alone represents nearly 50% of hybrid sales. Very telling, indeed.

Last edited by clindguini; 07-19-2007 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 07-20-2007, 08:02 AM
Part Time Hybrids

just a reply to clind:

I agree on the part where many Prius drivers didn't even know about other hybrid options. But you can't assume all Prius drivers fall into the assumption that they purchased their car for looks or fashion. (personally I think if you choose fashion the prius is ugly but to each his own)

The prius does far outsell any other hybrid but looking at just the drivers I see day to day, most prius drivers are middle aged or older. I've spoke to owners before, telling them about this website, most don't even own a computer! I think the prius has an older generation of buyers at least here in the northeast. They bought it because its the only hybrid they know of, perhaps If honda wants to meet toyota head on it has to market its hybrids more. A good example could be cooking magazines, where you can find adds for Mercedes S class, Land Rovers, Lexus, and gasp* Toyota prius!

Target the upper middle to upper class wife! Get them to buy hybrid and perhaps their kids will learn the same!

Old 07-20-2007, 10:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kenny
Prius is so popular that it was impossible to find one without $6000 of options. That pissed me off.
Hallelujah brother!

I was Hell bent on buying a Prius. The last Toyota dealer was wondering what it would take to get a deal done and acted like I was an unreasonable crazy person.

My final conversation with them was: Let me get this straight... You don't have the options or package I want, you are not going to receive any vehicles in the near future with the options or package I want. You have added $3,000+ to the price by tacking on crap that I don't want. (After market towing insurance, you have got to be kidding!) And you are only willing to give me a $100 discount off the $3000+ over MSRP that you are asking.

I could not sprint to the Honda dealership fast enough!

Quick Reply: Why did you buy HCH II over Prius?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands