HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Why did you buy HCH II over Prius?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 07:44 PM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: Why did you buy HCH II over Prius?

Originally Posted by ShellyD
Yep, you sure did...BTW,the TCH gets terrible MPG compared to the Prius or the HCHII...I know many think 30+ mpg is great, but I have never owned, and never will own a car that gets less than 40mpg highway...so, we all make choices about what we want in a car. I happen to think my HCHII is pretty sweet -- it is roomy, has lots of toys, and on its worst days still gets 40 IN TOWN.

enjoy your Camry
Sorry ShellyD;

I've been PM'd earlier today with the warning that Xavier6162 is likely a forum troll. I don't know for sure but his intervention in the forum coincides with a few other "first time" posts - which almost fits the usual trolling pattern.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 02-22-2007, 10:07 PM
Enthusiast

I chose the HCH because the Prius is the UGLIEST car on the road right now. Thank god that GM stopped making the **** Aztek, I guess the Prius took over that title.
I ususally go for Hondas over Toyotas anyways. I never drove a Prius but I like how the HCH just looks like a regular CIVIC.
Also my neighbor is the sales manager at the local Honda dealer=GREAT DEAL.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by msantos
Sorry ShellyD;

I've been PM'd earlier today with the warning that Xavier6162 is likely a forum troll. I don't know for sure but his intervention in the forum coincides with a few other "first time" posts - which almost fits the usual trolling pattern.

Cheers;

MSantos
Nope...not a troll. But I must express my confusion by the manner in which you see fit to address me on this subject. I mean no personal bearing by this, but if I hurt your feelings by giving my personal experiences and opinion, then you have issues that should be addressed elsewhere.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:08 AM
Enthusiast
Talking Re: Why did you buy HCH II over Prius?

Originally Posted by msantos
-Somewhat arrogant and elitist Toyota dealers- they still drive me nuts ...
Off-topic, forgive me, but I laughed my head off . . . drawing the comparison b/t Macs & PCs. (I have both and love my PCs)

Now, back to the important discussion. . .

Old 02-23-2007, 10:14 AM
Getting better FE!

Ok, in defense of Xavier6162....

I own the HCHII. I ride in a carpool with guy who has the TCH. We basically have the same commute and driving styles. His average MPG is about 38. Mine's about 43. We've both had our cars about 7 or so months. I have not driven his car.

If I had to do it over again, I'd get the TCH, no question. Super comfortable, great amenities, I like Toyota service better (I used to own a Camry), more power, just a heck of lot more car.

Unfortunately, the TCH does not qualify for the HOV sticker in California.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:59 PM
Enthusiast
Post Re: Why did you buy HCH II over Prius?

This is somewhat of a "Shaggy Dog Tale".

I just knew that when we decided to buy a hybrid that it would be a Prius!

My wife got an '84 Camry hatchback in late '83, which we sold 23 years later after the
purchase of our new hybrid. We purchased a six cylinder '92Camry in July of '92. We
still have this vehicle with 99K miles on it. In between we owned an '86 Camry sedan,
which was sold in '92. We have a wonderful service manager at Toyota whom we make sure
gets a jar of my wife's homemade crabapple/grape jelly at least once a year.

I just knew that when we decided to buy a hybrid that it would be a Prius!

In the spring of 2006 my nephew requested my thoughts on buying a hybrid. I told him
my opinions and sent him some comparisons from CR. He has always driven "muscle"
cars and is 5'-10" and a corrections officer.

I just knew that when he decided to buy a hybrid that it would be a Prius!

He and his wife visited us last August and got 47 mpg on their 300 mile drive here in their
new Honda Civic Hybrid! Next day he drove us to dinner. I asked if it had enough power?
He replied "Oh sure".

After many hours on-line comparing statistics, I finally clicked on a link to find a local
dealer. This was on a Friday. By 1:00 PM Saturday our order was in for an Opal Silver
Blue Metallic Honda Civic Hybrid with a build date on our grand daughter's upcoming
birthday. It arrived in about six weeks. Never drove a hybrid until the day we picked it up.

Plusses and Work-arounds:

Safety.

Adequate Power.

Smooth Transmission.

Good visibility through the rear window compared to a Prius which requires an optional
camera in my opinion.

Our Camry wagon provides a work-around for the lack of folding rear seats in the
Honda Civic Hybrid. The HCH2's trunk can hold a normal trip for groceries for 2 people
and 2 1/2 cats. The neighbor cat sometimes visits!

I just knew we'd love our Honda Civic Hybrid.....and 4 months later we still do!!!

This is a great group and I'm proud to be a member.

I've learned a lot and hope to continue learning.

From what I've written you can see I'm a Toyota fan, but Honda wins this time for us.
They are both the most reliable car companies on the planet for the price.

Ken

Driving a hybrid car: "Priceless"

Old 02-23-2007, 02:43 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by Galileo

From what I've written you can see I'm a Toyota fan, but Honda wins this time for us.
They are both the most reliable car companies on the planet for the price.

Ken;

Thank you for a great post and welcome !!!

It is refreshing and encouraging to see one more person with an open mind. I bet your experience with your vehicle will be at least as enjoyable as it is for many of us.

I totally agree. These two companies deserve our respect and admiration not only for the great products they produce but also for bringing us together as a community.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 02-23-2007, 02:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

The best situation available for hybrid shoppers is at least two strong choices. The competition between the two is the driving force (so to speak) that will continue to bring out new improved models and yet have differences that appeal to different shoppers. Just look what is coming down the line in the next few years. I have a Civic Hybrid II but feel more kinship with Prius owners than with Civic non-hybrid owners; not because my car is better than anyone else's but because we are committed to promoting the industry and helping create the demand that will warrant the technological developments of the future. So even a Hummer hybrid would make me smile because a few mpg difference in todays cars will be multiplied several times over some day. What would advance the technology alot faster would be governmental requirement of car companies to increase average mpg. Perhaps after the 2008 elections (pay attention to candidates' policies on this and similar issues)!

Last edited by jaykay; 02-23-2007 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:15 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Looks. Plain and simple. I couldn't stand the look of the latest Prius (I prefer their first version).

Old 03-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Hybrid-Hugger

Telescoping Steering Wheel
Better for taller and bigger folks
centre console is not as obtrusive to my legs like the Prius (although the e-brake is annoying on my knees).

Quick Reply: Why did you buy HCH II over Prius?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands