HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Tsb 09-058

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tsb 09-058

hello all

Since my tsb was done, I had not had a recall till today. I would be stuck in the 4 bar "zone" with the a/c on, and not get the assit around town. Today was a hot day for the car and I went to lunch and came back 20 mins later. The car had 7 bars when I went to lunch, and only 1 bar after. OK so I had no assit. fine....put the shifter into "s" and got the regen bars at 2-3 while driving. At the first light I stopped at I got full regen while stopped great!!!. With in 2 miles I was back upto 7 bars and getting assit, put shifter into "D". As soon as I did that my soc went to full max.

I am wondering if over the last 4k miles if I had been able to get the regen at idle I would not have been stuck in the 4 bar "zone" for so long.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hchluv
hello all

Since my tsb was done, I had not had a recall till today. I would be stuck in the 4 bar "zone" with the a/c on, and not get the assit around town. Today was a hot day for the car and I went to lunch and came back 20 mins later. The car had 7 bars when I went to lunch, and only 1 bar after. OK so I had no assit. fine....put the shifter into "s" and got the regen bars at 2-3 while driving. At the first light I stopped at I got full regen while stopped great!!!. With in 2 miles I was back upto 7 bars and getting assit, put shifter into "D". As soon as I did that my soc went to full max.

I am wondering if over the last 4k miles if I had been able to get the regen at idle I would not have been stuck in the 4 bar "zone" for so long.
This is just more proof that the Recal problem is widespread. The SOC indicator is just about useless now as the hchluv illustrates above. I'm seeing the same kind of weirdness with my '06 as well. Honda has this so **** screwed up - I really wonder if they have a clue. I've really enjoyed my car the last couple of years, but the constant recals and lying SOC over the last year kill the enjoyment for me.

To be honest, and maybe I'm the only one that feels this way, if I'm not able to make a game out of trying to get the best FE possible with the car, then the car is just too blah. The SOC and recal issue really make it little fun to play the "game". It's like trying to play Monopoly when you've got hotels and houses all of the place and somebody comes by every so often and kicks the board.

-dan

Old 10-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Enthusiast

I honestly don't think the Honda software engineers are very good. I agree with you about having fun driving the car by making it a game and trying to get the best FE possible, I think maybe that is what makes it so frustrating for me because I'm trying to get the best FE and I am constantly fighting the weird behavior of the software.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:10 PM
Enthusiast

So, just to recap, are most people thinking if you already have gotten TSB 08-014 for harsh transmission engagement, which for me worked great, that you shouldn't pursue TSB 09-058? I get the feeling that this (09-058) isn't really helping anything?

If it's not worth it, I'd rather not argue with the dealer and eventually force them to update it if it's really not all that great. I do notice the symptoms that 09-058 is describing, but sounds like the fix isn't much better.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

The only thing I like about the update is that you get to squeeze an extra bar of state of charge out of the IMA pack. I can now drive around on 4 bars versus 5.

I don't like that it doesn't auto stop when below 4 bars SoC when it's re-calibrating. And I don't like that the RPMs seem to jump a little higher during acceleration.
It has a little more pep than before, but, for me, that's something I could have done without.

Honda wasn't willing to give me the update for free, but they did finally allow a one time "good will" and covered it under the Powertrain Warranty.

Hope this helps.

Jess

Old 10-17-2009, 07:58 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

So, are we saying this is a worthwhile update for a 2007 or not?

Old 10-18-2009, 05:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

Depends on the person, I guess. It resolves the slow acceleration while the battery is rel-calibrating and it allows the SoC to go down to 4 bars instead of 5.

If these are a priority to you then, yes, get it. If not, don't worry about it.

Jess

Old 10-18-2009, 07:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hi all,

I posted a week or so back on another thread: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...tml#post212275

I didn't realize there was a discussion relevant to what I am experiencing on this thread as well.

----

Do you have any updates on this?
I requested my local dealer to apply TSB-08-014 last week. When they tried to flash the PCM, something went wrong, and the PCM module got screwed (according to the service personnel). They asked me to come back a few days later to get the PCM replaced. Yesterday, they replaced the PCM ... and every since:
0) The car is assist-happy even at 3 bars (IMA battery)
1) My IMA battery has tended to stay at around 4 bars
2) I do not get any charging (green bars) when I coast or brake lightly to slow down. From time to time, the charging works but it is very occasional.
-- The only way I have gotten the battery charge above 4 bars is by driving harshly with lots of assist. The IMA goes down to 3 bars, and forced regen to about 6 bars of IMA battery.
3) Auto-stop does not work either. Irrespective of whether the engine has already warmed up / AC and defogger are off / battery charge is ~6 bars
4) MPG is down from 50 (city)/55 (HW) to 40 (city)

I took the car back in, and the technician did not know what was going on. He speculated that the new PCM might need "learning". He said he will contact Honda to check, and has asked me to drive a couple of hundred miles, and then call them again.

Any one else have any of these problems? Any suggestions? Please let me know - thanks!!
-----

I have some updates on that post from last week:

a) It's not clear to me what updates my service center applied to the new PCM, and what version of firmware the new PCM comes with. The service center has refused to give me those details

b) My city mpg has been around 35-37, down from 46-52mpg.

c) Still no freakin' auto-stop. Have driven 250+ miles since the service. I guessed right that the service center's idea of "PCM needing to learn" is BS.

I am guessing they forgot to enable auto-stop OR they did not do the idle-learning correctly because when I come to 7 mph, the RPM goes down to 400 rpm for a split-second before going up to 1200, and then settling at the usual idling speed.

Has anyone else experienced any of this?

It might be time for me to take the care to another service center (50+ miles away is the closest ) ... and perhaps call Honda as well.

Cheers,
-ag

Old 10-18-2009, 07:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

PS: I think i have figured out the regen problem. Honda appears to have changed their setting so regen kicks in only after the RPM goes above 1400 or so ... and when I coast, the car gently increases the RPM to around 1400 before regen kicks in. And if I don't give it enough time for it get to 1400 then it gives me no regen, and the car behaves like a normal car with ABS brakes Not a good scenario, gven I try to stay close to 1100 rpm most of the time when I drive.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

Something is truly not right with it. It seems to be behaving completely opposite of how it should.

Sounds like either Corp Honda needs to be involved or take it to another dealer that knows what they're doing.

Jess

Quick Reply: Tsb 09-058

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands