HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Tsb 09-058

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 10:48 PM
Enthusiast
Default Tsb 09-058

Anyone heard anything about this TSB: http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A09-058.pdf

I've noticed this just recently with the hot weather and running the AC while I drive around town. I've been sitting at 2-3 bars on my IMA battery most of the time (avg. mpg is 33 now, down from 42). At one point taking off up a hill with the AC on I thought I might have to put my foot out to help get it going

The thing that concerns me is the TSB says it will disable the auto stop when the battery is low and it will increase the rate of charge, I'm wondering if this will hurt mpg in the long run. Any thoughts on that?

Old 07-31-2009, 08:54 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tsb 09-058

I just noticed this yesterday, AC on and on a hill I had to floor it to get it going. So this could apply to 2009 models as well. AC eats the battery up!

Old 07-31-2009, 05:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

Sounds to me like a "forced recharging" or a "Re-Calibration" of the IMA pack. I always thought this was a normal procedure for the car. If the system is doing either of the two there won't be any assist for acceleration until it's finished.

Perhaps the TSB allows the system to recharge or re-calibrate more aggressively reaching the max state of charge quicker.

Jess

Old 08-04-2009, 07:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

This was installed yesterday on my car. My first impressions are that both the assist and regen affinity has increased--the car is pretty much doing one or the other whenever I have the gas pedal down and am not in glide. I'm fine with the regen affinity increase, but I don't trust the amount of assist that it likes. That being said, in 50 miles of driving, I have not had a battery crash, so at first blush, I think this has been an improvement.

They also upgraded the CVT software which seems to allow the car to hold a higher gear for general cruising. I can also go into glide with four bars of SoC now (previously, 5 was the minimum).

I will post up with longer term impressions of these upgrades on this thread once I have a few more miles under my belt with them.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

Got this done today. Turns out, at least in California, SW updates are covered under the extended emissions warranty, so it was done for free.

First impressions are that the CVT is much smoother, and the glide capability is easier to do.

We will see what the long term results are in the coming weeks.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:30 PM

It appears NOT to apply to '09 Civic Hybrids.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:39 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
It appears NOT to apply to '09 Civic Hybrids.
That means that the 2009 cars have the latest and greatest SW releases, and the rest of us get to be as good as the 09 cars! Now if they just had a SW release that magically enabled rear disc brakes and VSA!

Old 08-05-2009, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Orient Express
Now if they just had a SW release that magically enabled rear disc brakes and VSA!
LOL!

Anyone else have difficulty with steep hills on the new tranny software?

I have a pretty gnarly driveway and used to use "L" to get up before the update. On day one after the update, I wasn't getting much assist in L and almost didn't make it up. Yesterday, I tried it in "D" and had the same issue. I'll keep playing with it but it doesn't seem as assist happy at low speed.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:47 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kristian
LOL!

Anyone else have difficulty with steep hills on the new tranny software?

I have a pretty gnarly driveway and used to use "L" to get up before the update. On day one after the update, I wasn't getting much assist in L and almost didn't make it up. Yesterday, I tried it in "D" and had the same issue. I'll keep playing with it but it doesn't seem as assist happy at low speed.
I am having it done today.
I was happy with the way the low speed assist was, but I thought the amount of assist at higher speeds during slow acceleration was to much.

Hopefully they didn't get rid of to much low speed assist, the tsb is about not enough power during starts, so it seems odd they would remove assist at that point.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

Just had my car done on Monday

I had noticed after the 014 tsb that I lost most of the assit below 5 bars, and I had only a little regen at higway speeds. If I went 15 miles without any assit I would get back to fully charged battery. The around town driving was scary without assit. In the past I would only get the no assit if I was down to 1 or 2 bars.

With the 09-058 I get more assit a speed, and greater regen then before the 014 reflash. I have not so far gotten down to less then 3 bar soc. If I am careful on takeoff I can keep the assit at zero. Maybe it is done to be like the "Eco" button on the Insight II. If you push through it you get the assit you need. I like it once I relearned how to drive My 06 HCHII again.

Brian

Quick Reply: Tsb 09-058

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands