HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Selling my '06 HCH II for safety reasons

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 07:31 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Selling my '06 HCH II for safety reasons

I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice that.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

This has been a mostly good discussion, but I don't think there's a lot more to say. I think that's pretty much what Delta meant, it's not a control thing. Let's not start taking jabs at each other, particularly when we agree.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kenny
I think it is natural and healthy for people to get their thoughts out.
So many posters are struggling to figure out how the OP could have such a change of heart about a car we all love.
The initial post was a challenge to what we all feel passionate about.
Discussing what we feel strongly about is what this HCH forum is for.

I have not seen harsh and offensive posts in this thread that would warrant moderation.
Delta Flyer, why is it so important to you to control this thread?
Last I checked, I'm not a moderator - just a member pointing out it's silly the HCH II's safety and performance warrant so much concern. I'm still look for this alleged power I supposed to have.

I know - some want to post a lot about the May 15 Gas Out or Dust to Dust and allow the noise to signal ratio obscure facts.

My heartfelt apologies to those that feel It's wrong to get in the way of myths such as the HCH II unsafely slow in LA traffic.

Agreed, leahbeatle.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:25 PM

Old 05-17-2007, 04:44 PM
G.H. Contributor
Post Re: Selling my '06 HCH II for safety reasons

Originally Posted by kenny
I think it is natural and healthy for people to get their thoughts out.
So many posters are struggling to figure out how the OP could have such a change of heart about a car we all love.
The initial post was a challenge to what we all feel passionate about.
Discussing what we feel strongly about is what this HCH forum is for.

I have not seen harsh and offensive posts in this thread that would warrant moderation.
Delta Flyer, why is it so important to you to control this thread?
Kenny,

Interesting Post you just did. Post 70:

Old 05-17-2007, 10:18 PM
Happy Camper Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
Last I checked, I'm not a moderator - just a member pointing out it's silly the HCH II's safety and performance warrant so much concern. I'm still look for this alleged power I supposed to have.
Such a sweet car warrants a defense, yes, and I rolled my eyes at the original post too.

*But*, we can be realistic about the car, too.
1. Motor Trend made the *whole Civic line*, NOT specifically the hybrid, the COTY. And it was in part because, unlike Toyota w/the Prius (but like Toyota with the Camry, this year's winner, which also has a hybrid version), Honda figured out how to make a single platform do a lot of different things, from hyper-efficient hyrbid to zippy Si. MT did not get confused and think the HCH II is quick or sporty. These are the guys who ***** that the BMW 535 has 20-too-few horsepower.

2. Hard numbers on the HCH-II are 0-60 in around 10 seconds. That's normal-ish by 1990 standards, and it's perfectly acceptable and safe acceleration. It's even faster than half the under-engined SUVs out there. But it ain't quick, and at this point it's slower than the vast majority of new cars on the road and many older ones. A Civic Si will beat it by nearly 4 seconds. (!!)

3. When I'm running 30-35 mph and nail the gas in the HCH II I get this effect: for the first 2 seconds, the engine revs from 1500-ish to 4000-4500. Speed doesn't change. For the next couple seconds, the speed gradually creeps up mph by mph, bop bop bop bop bop bop. Then it gains speed in a rush and you wind up running 5-10 mph faster than you needed/meant to. That's the CVT/small-engine "rubberband" effect at work, where the engine revs *and then* the car accelerates. For someone unfamiliar with the feel, or needing to accelerate RIGHT NOW, three seconds is too long to wait for speed and the car's going to disappoint them. (That sounds stupid in print, but go out and drive your car and time how long 3 seconds actually is and how much can happen in that amount of time.)

The car my HCH replaced was a run-of-the-mill Pontiac Grand Am SE with the vanilla 170-hp 3.4 V6. Not by any means a screamer, but it did 0-60 in an easy 8 seconds and had a weirdly strong 2nd gear that would take you from 40-70 in the same time the HCH manages to get from 40-50. Ask me which I was happier with merging, or slotting around in traffic. No contest.

I love the HCH II -- my favorite car ever. *Love* it. But that doesn't mean I can't be realistic about the areas it's below average, and for a car its size, acceleration is one of them. That's fine -- I didn't buy it for sportiness, and it doesn't make me feel unsafe at all, it just makes me drive differently.

And when I drive it as it wants/needs to be driven, it's *more* than safe, because it puts me in a totally different mood and I do less slicing-and-dicing in traffic, make fewer risky moves, drive more mellow and zen, *much* more content to pull in behind the a*****e Hummer instead of trying to get ahead of it. (Where it can rear-end me with its front bumper higher than my room and its tires as tall as my trunk. Happy to be behind that threat, thanks.)

--d

Old 05-18-2007, 10:21 AM
Energy Independence

Excellent post, Doug
Agreed with every word, although I thought the 0-60 time was even slower (like 11 or 12seconds). It is certainly no speedster! 10 seconds might be more like the time for the regular (automatic) Civic.
I guess it depends on the source. I know familycar clocked it at 12.4. Pretty slow. http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/HondaCivicHybrid/

And Car & Driver showed 2 different test results:
C/D TEST RESULTS
ACCELERATION: Seconds (full charge, part charge)
Zero to 30 mph: 4.0, 4.4
40 mph: 5.9, 6.5
50 mph: 8.1, 9.1
60 mph: 10.8, 12.3
70 mph: 14.4, 16.4
80 mph: 19.2, 21.7
90 mph: 26.2, 29.2
100 mph: 37.6, 41.4
Street start, 5–60 mph: 12.5, —
Top-gear acceleration,
30–50 mph: 6.0, —
50–70 mph: 8.4, —
Standing 1/4-mile: 18.3 sec @ 78 mph, 19.1 sec @ 75 mph

http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtest...rid-page4.html

Last edited by gumby; 05-18-2007 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Add C&D results
Old 05-18-2007, 05:42 PM
HypoFueler

Originally Posted by gumby
Excellent post, Doug

And Car & Driver showed 2 different test results:
C/D TEST RESULTS
ACCELERATION: Seconds (full charge, part charge)
Zero to 30 mph: 4.0, 4.4

90 mph: 26.2, 29.2
100 mph: 37.6, 41.4

http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtest...rid-page4.html
OK - my new strategy is to pulse it up to 100mph in 38-41 seconds then glide the last 38 miles to work

Old 09-07-2007, 06:45 AM
Enthusiast

I finally found my replacement car; it's the opposite of the hybrid but it meets many requirements that I was looking for in a vehicle. The dealer made me one heck of deal once I told him I wouldn't need any financing:

2004 Mercedes CLK55 AMG cabriolet: handbuilt 5.4 litre 362hp/375lb ft engine. 0-60 in around 4.9 seconds or so; 174MPH top end wo/ limiter. No more worrying about merging or other people cutting me off. Other interesting options included in the car: keyless go, ventilated and heat seats, bi-xeon lights. I picked the car up from Dallas last Friday and averaged 24.1MPG on the freeway and it looks like I will be getting around 18MPG around the city if I baby the car. I tried to be socially conscience with the hybrid but the performance was a real concern. Again, thanks to all who helped me on this board.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:30 AM

Well, by the time you're done with your midlife crisis there should be many more FE cars to choose from.

Glad you like your new car.

Quick Reply: Selling my '06 HCH II for safety reasons

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands