HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Selling my '06 HCH II for safety reasons

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 04:56 PM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: Selling my '06 HCH II for safety reasons

Originally Posted by leahbeatle
I've been following this thread for a while now and had always been a bit skeptical about the assertion by some that there was something severely wrong with the acceleration of an HCH. This weekend, though, I had a conversation with a friend from out of town. She reported that a while back, she had taken an HCH for a test drive with a friend. She described to me how, on a downhill freeway entrance ramp, with, apparently, the pedal to the floor, the car had only gotten up to 40 miles per hour by the time they entered the highway, freaking out her friend and causing the friend to go with a Prius instead.

Now, my first reaction was that her friend may be a lousy driver, or not have known how hard to accelerate, being unfamiliar with the car. My second thought, though, was that the test drive was in a dealers' model, when hybrids were still in fairly short supply. Surely that particular car had been treated terribly by every lead-footed would-be purchaser and probably all the staff, not to mention the fact that the assist won't come on if the battery is depleted, and it probably was. It could even have been in forced charge mode. I don't know, it's mostly all been said, but hearing her story makes me think again of how easy it is for an entire type of car (hybrids) to get a bad rap because of one lemon or one bad experience for which a given salesman probably has no explanation, even if there isn't anything really wrong with the car. If these cars are the test drive models, they're even more likely to have problems AND to be the cause of spreading around mistaken reputations. Just my thoughts.
Hi Leah,

The more than likely situation for that person that was entering the Interstate off the Long-On-Ramp and only got to like 40 MPH was because the IMA Battery Pac was "Completely-Discharged" and therefore it could not "Assist" in "Acceleration". I owned 2-HCH's in the past and without the IMA "Charged" you have [NO-POWER].

It's unfortunate that this person was not more familiar with the HCH II and how all the things work as far as the IMA etc. But things like this do happen and as we all know these very "Isolated" incidents are the ones we hear as well as others. But things like that do take place and if there is know one around that can explain the "Complete-Operation" of a Hybrid then as that person thought the hybrid was way to SLOW in their opinion.

Just a quick comment here about HCH II's and speed/acceleration. The HCH II is not a Death Trap because it does not have enough Power to Merge into Traffic. That is not correct IMO. However the HCH II compared to like the HAH (Honda Accord Hybrid) it is SLOW by comparison. Common sense should tell anyone that you cannot compare a 255HP Sports Sedan Hybrid to the HCH II. And by the same token you cannot expect the HAH to get anything like the FE (Fuel-Economy) of the HCH II. I use the HAH here for a quick comparison only. You can pick any vehicle that has a big powerful engine and the HCH II is going to seem SLOW. It should seem slow when you compare vehicles that were not intended to get FE.

I think you get the idea from my comments here.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:33 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Selling my '06 HCH II for safety reasons

I don't really care about the acceleration but I do care about the MPG. I have not gotton the 41/51 estimated MPG on the sticker. This is the first Honda product I ever purchased that did not meet or exceed the sticker mpg.

I believe these car do suck. It should be electric first up to 25 mph and gas after that. The current configuration is always gas and electric to assist... There is a 90HP engine inside the freakin car. They should have at least match the power of the standard 4 cly version. Give it a total of 140hp.....