HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Rant of the Month

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 09:00 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Rant of the Month

The ML to me was a horrible experience. It's funny that you mention that I didn't have a "Rant of the Month" on that forum. It actually never occurred to me to put one up, but it would have been a much more active rant session and a promised new rant every month with that vehicle.

I guess you have to be pretty secure in knowing that there really isn't "that" much issues with the Hybrid Civic.

The fact that I don't have to bring it in to a dealership every month or other week for some "new" unexplainable problem is a true relief.

I do have two issues that are bothering me with the Hybrid as of late but will hold off before going into more detail. Need to monitor the car for a few weeks.

You say performance anxiety, but I don't think I understand what you mean about this?

If you mean, do I miss the power of the ML, well sure. When the ML was working well, it drove nice and was good on gas* (* relative to other sport SUVs)

If you mean, jumping from a V6 300+HP to a 4 Cylinder 113HP and half the cargo space that too took time to adjust to. Actually, It took more time to adjust to the cargo space than the HP.

Overall, It doesn't matter to me what I am driving these days. In my younger years image was everything. Nowadays, I just look around at all the young adults trying to look "cool" or "hip" or etc. It's funny....

Old 05-28-2008, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by arbittan
You say performance anxiety, but I don't think I understand what you mean about this?
It is about this topic, your topic, and the expectations of delivering every month. Performance anxiety. I'm thinking that you feel obligated.

I used to be a chatty Kathy when I was getting servicing at MB. Now, I'm not sure if there is anything apart from boredom keeping me online.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:54 AM

Believe me, if I kept the ML I would definitely have new material every month!!

There really isn't much issues the Civic suffers from... It is a reliable little car that keeps on going and going and going.. uh sorry Energizer moment

I guess if I wanted to talk more about the little things like noise, etc it could make for lively discussion but some of the little issues like that seem too miniscue just becuase the Civic isn't a Lexus or Acura....

Even harping on MPG isn't that much of a big deal anymore, I am getting 38-40mpg now which is still better than the 18-25 I was getting with the MB

Old 06-05-2008, 05:08 AM

I find it ironic that the average majority are far less visible and vocal on forums. It warps the overall impression that extreme mileage performance is the normal and universally applicable to everyone. It's not that I wish to deride the high performers, but I think the forum could benefit from a kind of badging system in a user's profile to underline their dedication to high-mileage or their forum participation. A user could post a few bits of their radical advice and then disappear, providing no follow-up to prove their commitment to their advice over the longer term.

Joke: What is the environmental impact of extra cleaning cycles to wash sweat-soaked garments and upholstery?

Old 06-05-2008, 05:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

If Ford, GM or Dodge made a hybrid (or plug in electric) that met what I wanted, I would have bought it. But they don't, so I didn't.

That doesn't mean that I'll buy domestic. It just means that they did not make what I was looking for. Who knows what'll be out in 2011 when I'm ready to trade in my HCHCII.

Simple.

Edit : Oopps, I didn't realize that this was an old thread when I posted! But my answers the same for the original post! hehe. Looks like I'm off topic now though!

Last edited by Ontario07Civic; 06-05-2008 at 05:31 AM.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:14 PM

You know guys, one thing lately that has been getting my goat is the battery discharge issue.

It seems every time I look down at my gage (usually after I feel no power) it is down to 1 or 2 bars which then forces the thing into regen mode. Every single day this has been happening to me and it is no wonder I haven't seen high mileage so far in the warm weather.

It's funny, but today while I was parking getting ready to run into Staples, another driver of a Honda Hybrid decide to say hello. We got to talking a bit and she was telling me how she hasn't gotten use to the auto stop feature at the traffic light, but her next line was like a slap in the face, she told me she was getting around 47mpg.... I was like that nice, I have been getting about 38mpg. Believe me I can't go any slower, I actually could be the first person in history to get a ticket for drive too slow!!

Speaking to Honda (dealer) about this in the past they informed me that they do not look at Hybrids until it gets over a certain mileage milestone. I am getting close to 10,000 miles, do you all think that is enough for a milestone? hehe

As to the comment about GM and Ford, they are starting to turn around, but like I tell people all the time, a small speed boat can turn on dimes compared to an ocean liner that needs room and time.

GM announced that they are closing four plants down that make trucks and will ramp up on the small car production. It is a step in the right direction and hopefully by 2010 we will actually see aChevy Volt on the street.

The good thing is, this place (rant of the month) has turned into a Starbuck meeting place for good friends. I hope you all enjoy the conversation!

Old 06-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have never had that discharge issue in the year that I've had my car it has NEVER done that. I wonder if something is wrong. I think 10,000mi is plenty of break-in time.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:58 PM

Colby,
Since you're in warm weather most of the time, how many times in the week does your car do the battery test?

Thanks

Old 06-09-2008, 08:55 AM

Going to the dealer on Wednesday to have the car checked out. Will report back what they find or don't find!

Old 06-12-2008, 07:22 AM

Dropped the car off this morning. My service adviser kindly informed me that the 35-39mpg I have been getting is average and falls under normal conditions...

The key word in the legalize answer is "average". Which really bites for the person who is getting even less MPGs!! It also indicates that their answer will turn people away from the product in the future since there are soo many reports of higher mileage comparisons out there.

But none the less, the car has been placed into service for the following complaints:

1. Battery is draining rapidly
2. Battery not holding onto charge
3. Loss of power steering*
4. Loss of power brakes*
5. Loss of AC*
6. Car lurks forward when starting the vehicle.

* Loss of 3, 4, 5 are directly caused when the battery dies out and the gas engine kicks in.

I informed the service adviser that this could be environmental since it started in the HOT 100+ degree weather we have been getting here.

We will see what happens!

As a loaner, I got a Hyundai Sonata 2009. I must admit, interior and ride are great.
While driving it to work, I missed not having the engine "auto-stop" and not having my fuel meter usage....

That's all for now, but if anything in the past is an indicator for the future, I can tell you these dealers are going to hook it up to the computer and the computer might come back with no error codes and I will get a call saying "everything is fine, here is a referral to see a "Shrink"'

Quick Reply: Rant of the Month

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands