Domestic's I want? Well what I LIKE sounds better:

- Fusion - Simply the best entry level full size sedan
- Malibu - Much better than Accord and the bland Camry
- CTS - Gorgeous!
I'll add to the list the new GM fullsize crossovers and the Pontiac G8

Old 02-26-2008, 07:12 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Rant of the Month

I like the new Malibu, I saw it up close at the Washington DC auto show a month ago. I want to test drive it, but I don't have the time or desire to purchase anything new right now.

Like I stated in my previous post, I would like to own a Solstice/Sky and a Vue. Saturn has come a long way from their plastic cars of yester-year. The Solstice/Sky both use a 4 cylinder engine non-turbo. So it should do the trick for open air fun and environmental friendly at the same time

The Vue would be used for weekend project or hauling items that cannot fit in either car.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SJCivic
carsd, while I respect your message about supporting domestic manufacturers and your neighbors, you may be overlooking one fact that GM and the others hope we overlook and that is that MANY of their vehicles are not made in the USA. Mexico and Canada account for a significant percentage of the content of the vehicle. If this is true, how is supporting the Japanese companies who also do manufacturing in the US worse than supporting GM while it wraps itself in the American flag but quietly outsources much of the work to other countries?
Not only that, but the problem with big listed corporations is that anyone can own them. Thats why their publicly traded. They typically don't disclose what percentage of their investor's are foreign, but they do know these things and any dividends paid go out of our borders to these people.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:24 AM

Who owns the companies doesn't actually matter. As long as production takes place on this soil, then they're earning their keep to do business here. Honda Civic is designed elsewhere, but it's manufactured in Ontario and Ohio. Some of their parts supplies are located nearby, too, adding to the number of jobs and economic growth of the region.

It's funny that the Malibu came up, because I was thinking of that earlier. GM is really promoting this car. I think its exterior is nice, and so is the interior, but I know of two things that will keep me away from it: It's an oinker on gas; And, the controls and displays are just too primitive for me. I've already been in a Pontiac G6 last year, and the Malibu's interior, while nicer, is just another G6 with a makeover. Functionally, it's disappointing to me.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:01 PM

The US Hybrid Civics** are all made in Japan.
Only the non-hybrids are made in Ohio or Canada.

** Accurate to 2006-2007 Civic Hybrid models made for the US market. I don't know if the 2008 is manufactured in Japan or if the Canadian model 2006-present are made in Japan either.

Last edited by arbittan; 02-26-2008 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sungod18

- CTS - Gorgeous!

I guess so, it is all a matter of taste but non of those cars IMO, have the I WANT factor in it.

I mean the new accord and camry look great. They are cars I wouldn't mind owning, I can't say the same for a Malibu.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by arbittan
I like the new Malibu, I saw it up close at the Washington DC auto show a month ago. I want to test drive it, but I don't have the time or desire to purchase anything new right now.

Like I stated in my previous post, I would like to own a Solstice/Sky and a Vue. Saturn has come a long way from their plastic cars of yester-year. The Solstice/Sky both use a 4 cylinder engine non-turbo. So it should do the trick for open air fun and environmental friendly at the same time

The Vue would be used for weekend project or hauling items that cannot fit in either car.
Ok. I do agree that Solstice/Sky are cool cars. The problem is that when I had the choice I bought an S2000.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by arbittan
The US Hybrid Civics** are all made in Japan.
Only the non-hybrids are made in Ohio or Canada.

** Accurate to 2006-2007 Civic Hybrid models made for the US market. I don't know if the 2008 is manufactured in Japan or if the Canadian model 2006-present are made in Japan either.

I don't really care where they are physically made, most foreign companies policies transfer to the new location so a Civic made in Canada or an Accord made in Ohio is going to be the same car as one made in Japan.

So quality standards run across plants. This has been done for a while. I can't say the same thing about domestically owned brands. While their record has improved, it's the lineup that lacks attention.

Would you really buy a CTS over any Audi/BMW/Merc? Just check out the A5, it has a WOW factor that most domestic cars severely lack.

How about fun factor? When I first layed eyes on the new Mini, I knew right then and there, I was going to own one. Same goes with the S2000, same goes when I saw the 94 Acura GS-R.

As for hybrids, when the HCH I came out, same deal. I had to have. Not so with the prius (didn't like the odd look, I don't mind the new one though). The insight was neat but a 2 seater.

Last edited by livvie; 02-26-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:23 PM

So is the s2000 a two seater livvie and you like it! Why not the Insight. H

Old 02-26-2008, 04:38 PM
USAF Retired

Originally Posted by Sungod18

- CTS - Gorgeous!
Let's see:

The Fusion I believe is built in Mexico
The Malibu is a German Opel rebadged as a Chevy, like the Chevy Aveo line buiilt in Korea.

CTS has nice interior--wife wants one. Reliability is a big question--We have not had good service out of Caddies!

Quick Reply: Rant of the Month

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands