HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Need Tire Replacement Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 11:49 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Need Tire Replacement Recommendation

3 days in, these tires seem fine for MPG. However, I feel like I am all over the road now. I literally checked my wheels to make sure the lug nuts were tightened as I find myself cross the center line or running toward the shoulder. Just gotta get used to it I guess.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:44 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Need Tire Replacement Recommendation

Originally Posted by thilmony
I feel like I am all over the road now. I literally checked my wheels to make sure the lug nuts were tightened as I find myself cross the center line or running toward the shoulder.
An unexpected bit of feedback. What tire pressures are you using?

Old 05-06-2009, 07:46 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
An unexpected bit of feedback. What tire pressures are you using?
45 psi. i have to confess i have not had an alignment yet since upper control arms were replaced. but i can't imagine that's it.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:54 AM

I run 42/40 PSI, and have never run higher pressures in my HCH tires. You likely were running 45 PSI on your former tires, as well. My Insight I was very 'squirrely' at higher pressures (45+) and would give the symptoms you described.

Alignments are cheap insurance – surprised that wasn't done when control arms were replaced.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:56 AM
Enthusiast

they offered it but said if i was replacing my tires (which i was in a week) that it would be a waste. i probably should have let them do it anyway.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:04 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Rolling Resistence Question

I am going to need new tires soon. I want something quiet and stable, and having low rolling resistence would be nice, too.

How do I tell if the tire's going to give me good mileage???

Thanks,
Lansing

Old 05-22-2009, 07:43 PM

There are some good up-to-date recommendations on this site, cleanmpg.com, and other hybrid sites.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

Ok, I have been doing a little research. My HCHII tires (Bridgestones) are aging and starting to make a lot of noise (I actually hope it's the tires--the hybrids aren't quiet to begin with).

Tirerack says that LRR tires were typically poor performers but things are getting better. Here is what I see as choices:

- Bridgestone Ecopia EP20 $85 each
- Bridgestone Insignia SE200-02 $71 each (stock tire)
- Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max $79 each
- Kumho Solus KR21 $59 each
- Yokohama AVID TOURING-S $61 (maybe a little heavier?)

I would like a tire that is quiet, comfortable and safe. Good gas mileage would be nice, too. It's hard to justify buying a hybrid only to do things that compromise MPG.

What's your choice and why??

Thanks,
Lansing

Old 05-29-2009, 03:01 PM

I've been wondering if there's a mileage hit going from SE200_02 (the stock tire, somewhat limitted availability), to the SE200, which I believe is more readily available. Some of the spec's. are different: the tread depth is more on the SE200, the weight is more, and there's a profile dimension that's different. None of the variations are big, and the pictures at TireRack look quite similar, but not identical.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:27 PM

I think the Ecopia EP200 and Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max sound like the most promising LRR tires now available. The latter has been reviewed by a couple of people on here... still waiting for our Guinea Pig to test thte Ecopia EP200. I only have 1000 miles on my car, so there's little incentive unless y'all want to chip in.

Quick Reply: Need Tire Replacement Recommendation

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands