HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Need Tire Replacement Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Need Tire Replacement Recommendation

I'm going to be needing new tires probably later this year and I've been waiting for Bridgestone to hurry up and bring the Ecopia EP100 tire here and they so conveniently have finally!

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tires...ProductID=2032

and

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....l=Ecopia+EP100

Old 03-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Need Tire Replacement Recommendation

Originally Posted by Rick
I'm going to be needing new tires probably later this year and I've been waiting for Bridgestone to hurry up and bring the Ecopia EP100 tire here and they so conveniently have finally!
Thanks for this info. Now if we had similar info for the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tire for comparison. Why is it so hard to get tire weight and LRR performance from these tire manufacturers??? With the potential for FE gains across the board, you'd think they would rush to put out better publicity.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:40 PM
F**k ExxonMobil

nice! please let us know how the ecopias perform on your honda.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:51 PM
Aspiring Hypermiler
Thumbs up Re: Need Tire Replacement Recommendation

I replaced the OEM Bridgestone Insignias at 19930 miles, with just 2 mm of tread depth remaining on the original tires. The OEM tires were very evenly worn, but obviously became worn out prematurely. I had the original rear control arms replaced by Honda at ~ 17,500 miles.

My FE averaged 46 MPG on the OEM tires, with seasonal variations ranging from a low of 42 MPG in the winter to a maximum of about 50 MPG in the spring and early fall (avg temps in 70s). My FE drops a bit during the peak summer months when the average day temps reach into the mid 90s (in Albuquerque, NM). The hybrid power train does not prefer those temp extremes during winter or summer months. The sweet spot under which maximum FE can be achieved seems to be temps in the 60s-70s.

I am now running on a set of Michelin Hydroedge tires. So far I have averaged 45.7 MPG, on the first tank since replacing the tires, and 46.9 MPG on the second tank. I estimate that my FE is slightly down from my former averages by about 2%. I am very pleased with the Hydroedge tires. My traction is noticeably improved and my ride quality is better (firm but less harsh). The car corners more crisply with less tire flex. I am very pleased with the low noise level. Some have complained about the noise level of the Hydroedge tires, but I have not experienced that problem. With a 90,000 mile tread warranty from Michelin, I expect far more treadlife on these tires compared to the OEM Bridgestones.

BOTTOM LINE IS I CAN RECOMMEND THE HYDROEDGE TIRES WITHOUT RESERVATION. These tires deliver improved ride, traction, handling and safety with a virtually no impact of fuel consumption.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:59 PM
Energy Independence

Excellent, Stu!

Old 04-25-2009, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by 06hch2
nice! please let us know how the ecopias perform on your honda.
Yes... let us know! The Bridgestone Ecopia EP100 sounds very promising. I'd like to see a comparison test between the Ecopia and the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max. So far, these seem like the frontrunners in the current wave of LRR tire introductions.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:05 AM

Stu, FYI our Bridgestone Insignia's have (so far) gone about 55,000 km (34,000 mi), and have 5/32" tread depth left. I think they'll get another 10,000 km before they're nearing the wear bars, making it around 40,000 miles. Maybe your's were part of a bad batch? That's really fast wear.

Our '06 has never had any suspension components changed, and the wear is uniform. We keep the pressure around 40psi.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:28 PM
Enthusiast

Long time lurker, first time caller. Just discovered my bad upper control arms at 25,150 miles. Fixed at dealer quick and easy, but now I need tires.

Just ordered Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max - I worked over the guy at discounttiredirect.com to get a set for $302 shipped. I'll probably go to Walmart to get them mounted and balanced for $10 each.

I live in Minnesota, never liked the Dunlop OEM's for traction, etc.

I'll let you know how they work out for me!

Old 04-27-2009, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by thilmony
Long time lurker, first time caller.
Hey, welcome to the forum and thanks for speaking up. Keep us posted on your new tires.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Enthusiast

The arrived yesterday ($302 shipped!) and although the intelligence at my local WalMart auto center is not so great, the price is! $40 for mount/balance/disposal! I stopped at Kwik Trip with my digital air pressure gauge and have them at 45 psi now!

The ride was noticeably different right away, doesn't feel like the same car.

Quick Reply: Need Tire Replacement Recommendation

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands