HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

My Hybrid finally had a problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 04:30 PM
No Spin Enthusiast
Default Re: My Hybrid finally had a problem

Originally Posted by msantos
The P15A5 and P0A3F codes releate to a problem that is a little different from what some people with "motor position sensor" issues have experienced.

Let me explain:
The Motor stator assembly has 6 position sensors. These sensors feed their signals into the MCM module (Motor Control Module). These signals arrive in a form of clocked pulses and inform the MCM of the progress of power delivery to the power train.

Now, typically the MCM must be calibrated to the readings of these sensors so that the system may operate as expected. If one of the sensors is bad then the stator assembly must be changed. That is the problem that some of the 07 HCH's had.

The P15A5 and P0A3F codes that your car registered, indicate a failure not just on one or more of the sensors but also a malfunction on the MCM's input circuitry itself. So that means that updating the MCM software or even calibrating the sensors to the MCM will not work. Also, you cannot update the MCM software unless the version of the updating software is different from the one already installed. Since they may not have an updated/newer version of the software then they must extract the whole module and replace it with a known good one. That is the standard approach.

That is why your problem appears to be a little different from most of the other cases I've reviewed.

Cheers;

MSantos

I'm a little confused. I got these two codes with my malfunction and they replaced the sensor and I'm assuming that they recalibrated everything because it's working fine. Nowhere do I see that they replaced the MCM or couldn't get it working without replacing the MCM. My dealer has been upfront on the work they did and there was no mention of an MCM replacement.

Old 05-12-2007, 05:16 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Chris;

It might have been because your MCM actual tested OK and Gary's did not. The HDS station is the authoritative tool that helps the technicians determine the fitness of the MCM, we can surmize that they assessed your as fit enough to stay.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 05-12-2007, 07:10 PM
No Spin Enthusiast

Originally Posted by msantos
Chris;

It might have been because your MCM actual tested OK and Gary's did not. The HDS station is the authoritative tool that helps the technicians determine the fitness of the MCM, we can surmize that they assessed your as fit enough to stay.

Cheers;

MSantos
MSantos,

Thanks for the info......it's nice to know how all this stuff works....
So far, so good..... I've got 6400 miles on it now and the only other problem has been the driver window slipped out of track, so they replaced the regulator. My oil life is at 30% and can't wait for the first oil change. I will be putting Mobil 1 in it. Been using it for 25 years and it does help mileage.
So are you getting a third hybrid or trading in one of yours ?

Last edited by ChrisG; 05-12-2007 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:38 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default And the Results

I went by Capitol Honda this afternoon to check in on the HCH, and found that the parts had come in, and that the technician was in the final stages of replacing the defective ones. As it turned out, the battery and IMS modules did not get replaced, only components within them.

Unfortunately, I got there too late to see the CVT out of the car, but did get to see the failed MPS. I wanted to get some good pictures, but at the time all I had was my V3 phone, so the pictures are less than perfect. Here is what the Motor Position Sensor looks like:

The MPS is essentially a pulse encoder ring that tells the controller things about the electric motor.

To get the MPS out, the CVT and the IMS stator had to come out . The IMS stator is a huge magnet, and difficult to work without guide tools. To pull it out without damage, there is a special puller (looks like a pulley puller) that helps slide it out of the case.

Last thing that gets changed out is the MCM. That is the silver and black box laying on the floor of the car. That gets bolted into the battery module in the seatback bulkhead.

Something that impressed me with the electronics was how well everything was shielded. In a former life, I was involved with ballistic missile-based nuclear weapons testing. The shielding and packaging for the electronics in the Civic reminded me of the control units on a nuke.

So now that the car is back, now will come the shake-down cruise. I hope that it is as uneventful as other folks experiences with this sort of issue. Stay tuned for further developments.

Old 05-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Good post. Good to see behind the seat ! , and the parts. Was there a rub mark or Burn mark on the MPS? H

Old 05-14-2007, 06:24 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default Mps

I did not see any physical damage to the MPS.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orient Express
Mine is 3444. It was made within a week of yours.
my vin is 0804 and my IMA system has all but stopped working when its warm out and or I have passengers in the vehicle. Honda will not even try to fix it. they say its normal for the IMA system to shut down all the time and gas milage to be below 35mpg.

i took delivery in october 2006

Old 05-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

Curious...just had this happen today to my 07 Civic Hybrid...just over 40,000 miles on it. Dealership says its not covered under the 7 year portion of the warrenty, only the battery is. They want $1,400 to fix it due to having to drop the tranny to get to it.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:08 PM
No Spin Enthusiast

If it's the same problem the rest of us had, then it's a known problem. I would talk to a Honda representative about this if the dealer is not any help. There is so much difference between dealers that it is ridiculous sometimes. I'll bet Honda Corporate would be more helpful and it's good to let them know what the dealer is doing.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I'm getting a extended warranty on HCHII very soon. We will have the bumper to bumper gone in less than two years.

This will be the only car I've ever bought extended warranty for.

Quick Reply: My Hybrid finally had a problem

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands