HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

MY DIY HID headlight install

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 01:12 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: MY DIY HID headlight install

Did you double check your connections? My first HID attempt in my Maxima yielded the same results, they didn't work. I triple checked each connection, and ended up returning the kit. I bought a different one and they worked fine. You could also turn the lights on, prior to hooking the bulbs in and checking with a meter to make sure you are getting power through each step of the way. It could also be that you've got bad ballasts of sorts. I'm not familiar with the THH to know if there is some weird design that is causing you issues either.

On another note, anyone know where the deal is to adjust the headlight alignment? They seem to actually angle down more than the stock halogen bulbs did. I've got a V shape at the top of each lights output. This was an easy adjustment in the 03 civic I had because you could easily access the adjustment pieces.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:26 AM
.!.

I've been running this klight setup since march of 07 without any problems. They were definitely worth the money.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

anyone know how to adjust the headlight alignment up & down? i tried searching the forum, but didn't yield results...and usually manuals just tell you about the piece to do it, but dont tell you which way to turn them....also, where are the pieces located? I could only see 1 that looked to be an alignment control...

Old 11-03-2008, 05:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

AFAIK the headlights aren't adjustable unless you do some hacking.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:06 AM
Enthusiast

Yes you can vertically adjust the headlights. Pop your hood and look for these...

and

Use a normal phillips head screw driver to turn the gear shown in the second picture it should turn fairly easily.The first picture shows how you get to the gear on the drivers side without having to remove the overflow reservoir. The second picture shows the gear on the passenger side and its possible to adjust it without having to go through that small opening to get to it. If the drivers side is a pain to adjust through the hole just take out the overflow reservoir and its a little easier to see what your doing. These can also be adjusted with a 10mm(I think) socket if you can get enough clearance behind the headlight to do so. It says near the opening which way to turn to adjust; turn you screwdriver clockwise to raise beam and counter clockwise to lower.

Yes my car is extremely dirty

Last edited by flatl1n3r; 11-03-2008 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:17 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

While the headlight housing assembly is not adjustable, the reflectors inside the housing are.

If you open the hood and look at the corner of the black plastic cover plate above each light you will see a hole with a "U" and a "D" with arrows point up and down. To adjust the headlight you will need a long #2 Phillips screwdriver.

Stick the screwdriver in the hole, and look in the engine compartment to get the head of the screwdriver engaged in a little sliver toothed wheel that is attached to the back of the headlight housing. This will adjust the headlight reflectors up or down depending on which way you turn them.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:58 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Watch out for older design HID lamps

Originally Posted by Orient Express
The older OSRAM electomagnetic ballasts that are out there, have a very high start-up current draw. This is why your fuse blew. These types of ballasts can draw 35-40 amps at start-up.

Make sure that if you purchase a HID retrofit kit for you HCH II that you get one that uses a microprocessor based ballast. These types of ballasts have a 6-7 amp start-up current and will not compromise your cars electrical system.
I'm looking at these slim ballast HIDs for my HCH II.

http://www.stealthauto.com/Products/...Kit__HID-.aspx

The max draw is 15 amps for 100ms (milliseconds?). I checked the fuses under the dash and the high and low beams have 10 amp fuses, with other "main" fuses for high and low beams rated at 20 amps? Will digital HIDs with a 15 amp inital draw on ignition blow fuses?

Thanks!

Old 11-25-2008, 04:46 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Watch out for older design HID lamps

Originally Posted by medicmike
I'm looking at these slim ballast HIDs for my HCH II.

http://www.stealthauto.com/Products/...Kit__HID-.aspx

The max draw is 15 amps for 100ms (milliseconds?). I checked the fuses under the dash and the high and low beams have 10 amp fuses, with other "main" fuses for high and low beams rated at 20 amps? Will digital HIDs with a 15 amp inital draw on ignition blow fuses?

Thanks!
Normal headlights draw more than that at the instant you turn them on. A 10A fuse, unless it is a fast-blow type, will take 15A for a few seconds before blowing. I am almost certain that it would not be a fast-blow fuse in a car.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:27 PM
Resident ICE Wizard

Originally Posted by 06hch2
thanks for the great write-up! other posts have warned about an incompatibility w/ our ecu. let us know if any problems arise later.
not only have I not heard that, I have never had a single problem with my HIDs. I've had them in for 9 months now without issue, and MUCH better night vision... especially in the rain

Old 11-29-2008, 07:34 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I know projector beams are a better option for HIDs and I've noticed several aftermarket assemblies for the latest generation Civic. Most have LEDs ******* the projectors that look too boy racer-ish but I've found a few that look good. Has anyone tried those projector retrofits, and are they worth it?

Quick Reply: MY DIY HID headlight install

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands