HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Low mileage

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 10:35 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Low mileage

Thanks or all the feedback. I'm going to check my tire pressure and do the test you recommend. I have a feeling that in Austin, with the hills, and the heat (I drive with AC a lot), and possibly low tire pressure, that even if I'm careful about driving smartly I might be lower than the average driver. I really appreciate everyone's advice, and I'm going to read the hybrid article that was offered.

Regards,
fdrew

Old 07-07-2007, 10:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fdrew
Thanks or all the feedback. I'm going to check my tire pressure and do the test you recommend. I have a feeling that in Austin, with the hills, and the heat (I drive with AC a lot), and possibly low tire pressure, that even if I'm careful about driving smartly I might be lower than the average driver. I really appreciate everyone's advice, and I'm going to read the hybrid article that was offered.

Regards,
fdrew
Given your conditions yes your MPG will be lower than average, because your conditions are more MPG-killing than average.
But this would apply to ANY vehicle you drive.

You can still refine your driving skills to gradually improve your MPG .

You are still saving a lot of gas driving a hybrid in ANY conditions, so pat yourself on the back.

Last edited by kenny; 07-15-2007 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fdrew

Regards,
fdrew

I understand & am benefiting from your question. My commute takes me past Dell and that crush of stop & go (or sprint, depending who you are) is pretty hard on the fuel. Once I get past the area I can regain some miles per gallon....

Old 07-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Enthusiast

Great article, give me some things to go on. Really new to this as I am still on my second tank of fuel. Not doing to badly am averaging 43.2 for an all around and current aMpg is 46.8 about 2/3 of which are in the city. I think I can get it over 50 in the city, I will spend more time watching the game gauge and practice my gliding and EV-assist. When I picked up the car aMpg was at 32 for the first 34 mile, since that is 5% of my total mileage it may take a while to bring the overall up above 45. Can't believe I am even thinking this way, as I am a major motorhead and have spent years making it go faster (offroad) But it is just plain fun to try and make the thing get incredible mileage. Great site!

Old 07-12-2007, 01:42 PM
Enthusiast

OK so today at lunch I tried a couple of the tips in the article on my way back. 7.2 Miles lots of hills / grade changes got 50.8aMpg I like it, bet I will be able to do a lot better in a couple of weeks after I get the methods down better.

Thanks for the tips and great site.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Energy Independence

Originally Posted by Big E AK
OK so today at lunch I tried a couple of the tips in the article on my way back. 7.2 Miles lots of hills / grade changes got 50.8 Mpg I like it, bet I will be able to do a lot better in a couple of weeks after I get the methods down better.

Thanks for the tips and great site.
Oh no. You're addicted already
Some people just have no resistance to this affliction.
I only hope it becomes an epidemic

Old 07-15-2007, 06:07 PM
Drives Too Much

fdrew,
I'm new around here and only have been driving an HCHII for a week, so there is a lot I don't know. But I do know I'm getting much better mileage than you are I think something must be wrong if you're only getting 32. Do you have any hills where you live? When you're coasting in neutral, does it accelerate down a hill? I'm wondering if something like the adjustment of your parking brake might affect rolling resistance and be a cause of poor gas mileage. Good luck. I think you can expect much better mileage than what you're getting. --tom

PS: Did you see this post? https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ad.php?t=14268
Maybe your mileage problem is brake related.

Last edited by Tom in nh; 07-15-2007 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Found pertinent new info.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:31 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big E AK
Can't believe I am even thinking this way, as I am a major motorhead and have spent years making it go faster (offroad) But it is just plain fun to try and make the thing get incredible mileage. Great site!
Hi Big E AK,

Why don't you invite some of your "motorhead and (offroad)" friends to
come along with you and see your FE results. They just might like it!

Nothing sweeter than rolling along on the level or even up a slight grade
and seeing the bar graph holding 100mpg.

I'm sure that with youir attitude you will steadily improve your FE.

Best wishes,

Old 07-16-2007, 09:30 AM
Enthusiast

Galileo,
Actually most of them drive Diesels which do pretty well for a truck (towing most of the time or hauling. I have a buddy with a 3/4 Dodge ram cummins 5.9 that gets 25 on the highway. Not bad for a 7200lb truck. Gets 16 towing light loads 5-6000 lbs. respectable considering what it is. My gas ram only gets 15-16 unloaded on the hwy and 10-11 with a load on it. So the diesel is the way to go. He does have a 6 speed behind his cummins.

They (my buddies have this same type of thing going between their trucks. They can't hope to get 50+ but 25 isn't bad considering what they use the vehicle for. This is different than our snowmobiles where you just make as much power as humanly possible gear it low so you can climb straight up in 4' of powder. My snowmobile only wieghs 520 lbs and is making 200HP 0-100 in7.5sec on snow. But thats a different topic sorry

I think that the economics of the vehicles will have people coming around to the idea, that and once you own one its just as nice a car and it you do terrible I'm still getting over 40.

Sorry for the long post