Also low mileage on 2006

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 10:45 PM
Active Enthusiast
Angry Also low mileage on 2006

I have almost 4000 miles on my 2006 (purchased at the end of december) and my mileage seems to have gone down with each tank. I checked my tire presure several times and it's at 40. I traded in a 2003, so I think I have enought experience driving hybrids...

The first tanks where doing 47, with segments over 50, but then it has begun to go down. I also noticed that my mileage at the pump has alwais been 1.5 to 2+ MPG *better* than indicated at the meter. My commute is 22 miles, mostly freeway, with moderate congestion (moderate for LA traffic). It seems to do much better when traffic is stuck or going around 30 to 35. Trips where with the other car I would have goten close to 50MPG are giving me high 30 to very low 40's. My current tank is now at 40.8, at 370miles and I cannot get it to go up no matter how careful I drive.

I noticed some differences on the behaviour of the car, compared to the old one, but I have no other 2006 around to compare:

-On the 2003-05, when you turn the car off the radiator fan will remain on to cool the engine off. On my 2006, it does not. As a matter of fact, the engine seems much colder than on the old one. It takes a long time for the fan to come on when idling, and even then only for a few seconds.

-On my car, at idling, if you begin accelerating the engine it will start to force-charge the battery at 2000rpm. I'm not sure, but I think on the old model it was at a higher rmp (like 3500, but I'm not sure)

-I also think alignement may not be 100% correct, since car seems to try to move to the left some times, more when it's cold (extrange)...

BTW, I'm on LA and usually drive to work around 6:30AM, temps have been around 45-50 by the time I get to the car in the morning, and I have the feeling that the car cools down faster than the old one.

Any one noticed the same, or it's just my car?

Old 03-08-2006, 06:59 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Also low mileage on 2006

Juan,

I too drive the LA freeways each morning. My commute is 40 miles each way. I drive the 10 fwy. Westbound in the AM, Eastbound in the evenings. Mornings are at 5:30am and outbound is at 3:30pm.

My inbound trips in the mornings average 55mpg most mornings as it is slightly downhill for the overall trip. I usually make it home at the 48 to 49mpg mark.

Since our driving environment is so similiar, I am guessing something is not right with your car. Only a side-by-side test would confirm. This is my first hybrid so you should have an advantage over me in most cases.

Best of luck with your new HCH.

Ron in SoCal