2006 HCH Foglights Require Main Headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 07:38 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2006 HCH Foglights Require Main Headlights?

I had the foglights installed but have a question. I observed that the Fog lights do not turn on unless the headlights are on. Even when the parking lights are on, the fog lights don't light. They only work when the main headlights are on. Is this normal or did Honda screw this one during installation? Thanks.

Old 03-07-2006, 08:11 PM
YA RLY.
Default Re: 2006 HCH Foglights Require Main Headlights?

Mine is the same.

Old 03-07-2006, 08:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Ten bucks says foggers also turn off when you switch to high beams. As usual, the car is doing too much thinking for you.

Old 03-07-2006, 08:54 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zimbop
Ten bucks says foggers also turn off when you switch to high beams. As usual, the car is doing too much thinking for you.
I need to check that out but I bet you won ten bucks.

Old 03-07-2006, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by zimbop
That is exactly how they are supposed to work. You might be confusing this behavior with driving lights. Every pair I've ever had only turn on with the low beams (If you have your high beams on, you won't see anything anyway in fog).

Old 03-08-2006, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by AZMerf
That is exactly how they are supposed to work. You might be confusing this behavior with driving lights. Every pair I've ever had only turn on with the low beams (If you have your high beams on, you won't see anything anyway in fog).
Yeah, so god forbid i ever want to use them for anything ELSE. I'm not confused about anything. If the car has lights I should be able to turn them on or off whenever I want. There are situations when it'd nice to keep the fog lights on with the brights, but every car with foglights I've had did me the same "favor", shutting them off when i turn on the hibeams. Just because everybody does it doesn't mean it isn't stupid.

Old 03-08-2006, 06:58 AM

That defeats the purpose of fog lights but OK. Do a Yahoo! search using the following key words "fog lights high beams" and you'll find a number of forums with hacks.

Old 03-08-2006, 08:05 AM

Yes, in actual fog that is not generally best, but there are many situations where low foreground lighting is useful, with or without high beams, and fog is only one of them. Thanks for the link to the hacks, I'll check that out. I'd love to hack out some of the other automatic features too, I'll see what I can find.