HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

I now have a HCHII... My experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 08:30 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: I now have a HCHII... My experience

Good write ups. I'd like to do a poll some day for the CA peeps. How many would own one if it wasn't for the carpool lane advantage?

Hopefully you get your stickers. Is it still possible to get your plate numbers electronically?

BTW, I think the NAV is great.

Old 07-26-2006, 02:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: I now have a HCHII... My experience

A few comments...

1) Electric only - Quite possible! I did it once for almost two straight miles! Go 20 - 40 mph on level ground with no traffic. Take your foot off the throttle for two seconds, then quickly but GENTLY get back on the gas. If you see one to four white assist bars and MPG pegged at full on the instant meter, you're in full electric mode. If you miss it, just keep retrying (foot off, then reapply gas). You'll get it eventually!

2) NAVI. Mine worked great for a few months, then started having trouble understanding me. I think it happened when I bumped the tires up to 40 psi and the road noise increased a little. Keep the fan speed low, and talk straight to the microphone (next to the inside rear view mirror). That helps a little.

3) Carpool stickers. Don't worry, you'll get it. Send your application in with a copy of your temp registration sticker. Sometimes they accept it, other times they reject it (saying you have to have a real plate number). At one time, I had three applications submitted. Not a big deal at $8 each! We don't have to mess with the fastrak transponder down here in So. Cal., so that was easier for us.

4) Warranty... Save yourself a grand... don't bother with the service contract at all. In California (and most New England states), Honda provides an enhanced warranty. It covers TONS of stuff for 15 years / 150,000 mi. Basically, anything with the emissions or the electrical portion of the hybrid operation is covered. Battery is covered for 10 yrs. If you do regular maintenance, and trust Honda quality, you have nothing to worry about. Save your money.

5) Front seats... we just finished a week-long road trip, including two 14 hour drives. I found the seats quite comfy for the long rides.

Enjoy your new car!!!