Have you experience this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Enthusiast
Default Have you experience this?

When driving on a highway for more than 30mins on ICE, and entering back on city roads, the EV mode kicks in like normal when I hit my first stop light. Then I continue on the road to the next stop light and EV mode kicks in, but a few seconds later the ICE turns on while stopped. I feel the shudder and have a feeling like "what's going on?" Then it works like normal on the rest of the way to my destination.

I was wondering if any of you experience that? Is it charging the battery? I thought driving on the highway for awhile should to the trick. It's not that big of an concern, but I can pretty much duplicate it every time, just at different times on the road. Just wondering if this is normal?

Thanks.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:55 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Have you experience this?

Sounds normal to me. Just the ICE coming on. It is more noticeable when the car is stopped and the care changes from EV to ICE. This has been very well reported.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:34 PM
Insipid Enthusiast

Frost, i experience that also. After highway I pull into parking space, Ev mode on, when I make a complete stop the ice turns on for no reason and stays on until i back up or move a little and then the ice goes off. I cannot find a reason why that should happen, cat should be hot and battery is charged. Just strange

Old 01-13-2008, 07:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

This is normal,

The computer tries to anticipate need. Remember the primary reason for the electric part of our car is not EV mode, but to provide regenerated power for when we accelerate or need both motors running at the same time. The system tries to balance itself so that there is always a charge when needed which sometimes leads to the ICE running even when stopped.

I admit sometimes it seems like the computer gets it wrong.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

Depending on where you live, the the outside temperature and what you set the temp gage at, the ICE will come on to just keep you warm. To prove my point, when the car is stopped with the ICE running. turn down the temperature and the ICE will shut off. Turn it up and it will come on.

The manual should do a better job of explaining this but it doesn't.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:17 PM
Insipid Enthusiast

Hmmm, interesting... I will have to give that a try tomorrow.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:20 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FrostNAH
I was wondering if any of you experience that?
You were in S3a idling check mode.
http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/five-stages.txt

Ken@Japan

Old 01-15-2008, 10:38 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Jack, Victor and Ian33 for your feedback. And Ken, great documentation of the Hybrid process.