FYI for HCHII owners who have XM, and even those who don't... yet

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 02:19 PM
Enthusiast
Default FYI for HCHII owners who have XM, and even those who don't... yet

The SkyFi 2 XM unit, when put in it's cradle, snuggles up PERFECTLY in the cubby hole right behind the shift handle on the HCHII. I wasn't using that cubby much anyways because of being behind the shifter, but the skyfi fits in there at a perfect angle for viewing and both the power outlet and the 3.5mm Aux input jack are right there for convenient plug in as well as; you can hide all the wiring behind the unit so it looks pretty clean, too.

IMO, skipping the $800 factory XM unit and installing a $100 SkyFi is a home run choice, the skyfi has several features the factory unit can't even touch. The sole drawback to the skyfi is that it's not integrated, but like I said, it fits perfectly in that little cubby. When driving, the shifter is moved out of the way and you can easily see the unit.

And for anyone who spends any significant time in their HCH... you want XM, believe me. It sounds dubious at first, paying for radio, but believe me once you do it you won't go back. And the SkyFi 2 is a great unit with tons of features. My favorite is actually the remote control, which allows you to change stations etc. without looking at the unit constantly.

Old 03-26-2006, 04:56 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FYI for HCHII owners who have XM, and even those who don't... yet

I dont like XM. I had it, canceled...

- Traffic reports are outdated (30 minutes or so) I was stuck in traffic and the **** thing was telling me that I'm in "normal driving conditions"

- Sound is low quality, and had static fom time to time

- They advertise "comercialfree music" but foget to add "ON CERTAIN EXTRA PAID CHANNELS". Thats plain and simple LYING.

Overall a very bad experience. Customer support is weak, I waited for almost an hour and the rep told me to read the manual, that everything is there..... anything else? I said yes, I would like to cancel my subscription and she said that's in a different dept. would I want to be transffered there, I said Yes, she said, Hold on, then the call somehow "dropped". that was no accident I asume... bleah, deceiving ppl.

Old 03-26-2006, 05:25 PM
YA RLY.

I'd go for Sirius myself.

/Howard! Howard! Howard!

Old 03-26-2006, 06:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

I put my Roady XT in the same spot. I ran the power and antenna wires in the crevice right above the bin. Not very noticeable at all. The aux cable is the only wire not hidden, but it is not as bad as I thought it would be since I got a short black cable which kind of blends in.
This will work for now until the newness wears off and I feel like ripping off the dash to replace the stereo.

Old 03-26-2006, 07:43 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Anybody find a good place to get an Aux cable. I got one from a local Radio Shack but I would like one with an elbow so it doesn't just jut out from the port. Gold tips would be nice too (I get some static when I connect my device).

Old 03-26-2006, 08:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AZMerf
Anybody find a good place to get an Aux cable. I got one from a local Radio Shack but I would like one with an elbow so it doesn't just jut out from the port. Gold tips would be nice too (I get some static when I connect my device).
If you can't find a cable that has the type of connection you want, RS does sell a little adapter that goes on the end to turn it into an elbow (I got it from the RS on Val Vista and Guadalupe) You might want to go to the Radio Shack website. It has more stuff and it tells you which stores near you carry the product you want.

Other places I have ordered stuff from which might be helpful if you don't mind mail order: Zack Electronics and Parts Express. Maybe Fry's Electronics if you don't mind a little drive.

Last edited by sundevil; 03-26-2006 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:04 AM
Enthusiast

BUMP

Last edited by noirluispher; 03-27-2006 at 03:30 AM.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:10 AM
Enthusiast

After making the big purchase we came back and spent even more to have XM installed on the stock sound system. For "FM Ready" not so sure what's so ready about it. On the other hand, we are having a great time controlling the unit from the steering wheel and checking out all the read-outs on the stock display. I'm a radio producer for NPR and it is hard for me to listen to XM talk. The voice is so compressed that it sounds like what it is, coming from outer space. Most music, though, sounds pretty good to my ear.

By the way, we have about 2500 miles on our new 2006 and we are getting from 50 mpg going carefully on the highway to around 40 mpg on a 650 mile drive we made this past weekend with 4 people and a full load going between 75-78. My wife is in love with her car and I must admit I'm pretty fond of it too. -- H Cannon

Old 03-27-2006, 03:29 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hal Cannon
After making the big purchase we came back and spent even more to have XM installed on the stock sound system.
If you don't mind, how much did it cost to have XM installed?

Old 03-27-2006, 03:30 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by molex
The SkyFi 2 XM unit, when put in it's cradle, snuggles up PERFECTLY ....
Can you post pictures of your install, as well as where you placed the antenna?

Quick Reply: FYI for HCHII owners who have XM, and even those who don't... yet

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands