FYI for HCHII owners who have XM, and even those who don't... yet

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 12:19 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: FYI for HCHII owners who have XM, and even those who don't... yet

Originally Posted by noirluispher
Can you post pictures of your install, as well as where you placed the antenna?
Will post pics when I get time to take a couple.

I routed the antenna so that it's right on top of the driver's side of the roof, at the corner of the window by the door. It was a bear getting the lines under the weather stripping around the small triangular window, but by using one piece of thin plastic (actually cut from the SkyFi packaging) to slip between the weather strip and the car and hold the weather stipping out from the car, and then another stiffer piece of plastic to shove the wire behind the weather strip, it all came out 99% hidden.

One could install the skyfi and dash-mount the antenna and have the whole system up and running in about 15 mintues or less. It took my 3 hours solely because of my OCD need to completley hide every single wire possible.

It looks like what it is, an additonal unit not a factory installed item, but it's very low profile and looks nice.

Old 03-27-2006, 01:04 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the information Molex!

They are having a rebate program on these units that expires on Saturday 4/1. I would really love to see a pic before I order it. But if you don't get a chance to post any i will probably go ahead and get it anyhow.

Bowdirdk

Old 03-27-2006, 01:07 PM
Enthusiast

Will post pics this evening. What's the rebate program? I bought my SkyFi 2 for $97 at target, they didn't say anything about a rebate program...

Old 03-27-2006, 01:18 PM
Enthusiast

Here is a link to a $30 mail in rebate if you order from this web-site:

http://www.xmradio.com/skyfi2/

Here is a link to the car installation kit/ Skyfi2 unit package with the $30 rebate:

http://shop.xmradio.com/detail.aspx?pid=120&cat=8

Is this the same unit you got?

Bowdirk

Old 03-27-2006, 02:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Got my Roady XT from Amazon.com for $19 after the rebate with free shipping. Don't know if that offer is still good though as I cannot find the link.

Rebate ends on April Fool's day.

Some XM radio deals on this page. Seems like Amazon offers are still good.

http://satelliteguys.gottadeal.com/D...satelliteradio

Last edited by sundevil; 03-27-2006 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:58 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by molex
Will post pics when I get time to take a couple.

I routed the antenna ....

Thanks for the info.

Old 03-27-2006, 08:16 PM
Enthusiast

OK, here's a pic of the SkyFi 2 as installed in my HCHII. Sorry for the poor-quality night pic, I got home late. It's pouring rain, so I couldn't get any shots of the antenna and wire routing for it, but if anyone is interested I can get those tomorrow.

Under the cigarette lighter power adapter, on the left you can see a bit of white? I got a 3.5mm headphone splitter that plugs into the single 3.5mm aux jack and turns it into two jacks, so now I can hook up my Ipod without having to unplug the SkyFi.

The annoying bit there is, when both are hooked up it makes the speakers buzz like crazy, so I have to unhook the ipod if I'm listening to the XM. That sorta bugs, but otherwise this setup is pretty decent.

The SkyFi 2 is wedged solidly in the cubby hole in the picture, it doesn't move around at all. It looks like it's just sitting there, but the top is wedged against the lighter colored dash, and the bottom of the cradle (the black part the SkyFi is sitting on "top" of) is wedged tight against the inner front side of the cubby. Wires are conveniently hidden behind the unit, with the antenna wire going from the back of the unit under the dash right behind it.

And I can't say enough about how nice the skyfi 2 is, I've been using an Alpine head-unit with built in XM for two years, and this is a quantuum leap forward in useability. Having this unit makes me not regret passing on the $800 factory unit one bit, this thing does great stuff!

Old 03-28-2006, 01:15 AM
Enthusiast

Molex ------ Thanks for posting the picture. I am interested in a picture of the antenna too, when you get a chance. Thanks again.

Old 03-28-2006, 11:41 AM
Enthusiast
Default The whole schlameel...

Originally Posted by noirluispher
Molex ------ Thanks for posting the picture. I am interested in a picture of the antenna too, when you get a chance. Thanks again.
Here's the entire antenna routing. Starts directly above the driver's side door, runs under the weather stripping down the window to the bottum, U-turns under the windshield wiper guard, comes back up the weather stipping a few inches, over the corner rail of the cabin, back under the weather stripping of the small corner window (this part's a hassle!), through the door weather stripping (it just pulls off), then down the door and into the drivers footwell at the fuse box, around under the carpet, behind the console plastic, and then into the unit. WHEW! Took me 3 hours to do, but I could do it in about 30 mins now.

Green arrows indicate the (mostly hidden) wire route. Red circles show where wire is exposed.

Except for the one red circle in the second picture, the entire wiring route is hidden when the door is closed. Hell, even when it's open you don't notice the 4 inches of wire in the door frame! Hope that helps.

Old 03-28-2006, 12:28 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the pics!

I just ordered the skyfi2 w/car kit from amazon.

I am thinking I may just pass the antenna wire through the firewall and mount the antenna on the center/top edge of the hood.

Thanks,
Bowdirk

Quick Reply: FYI for HCHII owners who have XM, and even those who don't... yet

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands