HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

How do you deal with tailgaters?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 11:19 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: How do you deal with tailgaters?

Originally Posted by SteveHansen
Some people would interpret that as just a good reason to get the optional heated seats. ;-)
yeah, but you should be able to tell the difference from the heat pattern of a set vs a body!

Old 12-19-2007, 04:12 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I beg to differ with the reasoning that two people control or cause tailgating. How does someone that is on a one lane road going 10 over the limit avoid a mindless fool trying to intimidate you into going 20+ over the limit?? The only option is to ignore them and pray you don't have to stop or slow down abruptly and then it becomes YOUR problem or let them know that you will not let them put you in jeapardy of an accident. One person causes tailgating.......the tailgater!!

Old 12-19-2007, 04:59 AM

@ CJO2007CamryHyb,

I should clarify, It takes two people to cause the after result of road rage. Unfortunately, tailgating is a human instinct which refers to competitive nature. Always wanting to be in the slot you are in.. Some people control this instinct better than others. But nonetheless, we have these kind of people on the road.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:07 AM
my other car is a FJORD

Originally Posted by arbittan
T

If you are driving 55 in a 55 zone go to the slow lane. If you are going 35 in a 55 zone, leave the highway and do not return.

sorry, i have to respectfully disagree with this, as it's not always true. there are occasions when i drive I-94 between where i live and minneapolis. the speed limit is 70. however, the is also a posted MINIMUM, which is 40. i don't drive the 40, but i interpret that sign to imply that i am legal if i am driving 60.

i live in a rural area, and will often drive 45 on a back country road. most drivers who come up on me pass, and would pass me even if i was going 60. i figure if i happen to be going 45, they can get around me a lot more quickly than if i was doing 60. i will not allow someone who wants to speed to push me into his chosen speed.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I think you are misunderstanding arbittan... the suggestion is to not impede if possible. If you are in a single lane with no passing zone and are going below the limit that is what I would call impeding. If on the other hand you help the person behind you get by, then that's a different story.

The problem is that some people going below the limit or at the limit on highways or single lane roads want to ENFORCE the limit on everybody, as if it is their duty. This is were I would say that person is causing a problem and not helping. The best is when you do pass somebody on a rural road and the person decides to speed up and tail gate afterwards, classic. As if passing is an insult.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:47 AM

I agree with you arbittan.......to an extent. Human nature is to be competitive.......where as our intelligence should tell us that we are not the only ones on the road and thus must share it with everyone. Some people forget that fact...........all you have to do is watch how they drive and you can see it. Agressive driving, i.e doing the weave-in weave out thing or tailgating is mostly done by people who think they can drive anyway they please.......regardless what the impact of driving that way will be. As far as driving in the left lane of a 2 or more lane highway......the courteous thing to do is to move over and allow others to pass........as long as it is safe to do so..

Old 12-19-2007, 08:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

I only read a couple posts, but accept the ideas everyone is giving. My solution to tailgaters is to just let go of the gas and NOT step on the brake. I will begin to coast until I reach SLOW speeds, by that time they will figure out how to get arround you.

I have to admit that I felt "brave" when I used to drive my "sporty" car. Now with a vehicle that has NO POWER on the freeway, I feel like I am more of a spectator in the life of SPEED. With that in mind, I notice a lot more people doing things that I used to do.... and it SUCKS!!! ( maybe I am just getting old and the young are starting to drive ? its a horrible cycle)

Old 12-19-2007, 08:09 AM
my other car is a FJORD

Originally Posted by CJO2007CamryHyb
I agree with you arbittan.......to an extent. Human nature is to be competitive.......where as our intelligence should tell us that we are not the only ones on the road and thus must share it with everyone. Some people forget that fact...........all you have to do is watch how they drive and you can see it. Agressive driving, i.e doing the weave-in weave out thing or tailgating is mostly done by people who think they can drive anyway they please.......regardless what the impact of driving that way will be. As far as driving in the left lane of a 2 or more lane highway......the courteous thing to do is to move over and allow others to pass........as long as it is safe to do so..
i agree with you on the aggression you see on the roads. it's like manners, courtesy and safety have totally gone the way of $1 gas.

and as for the 4 lane lineup, i see it coming behind me all the time. there are people who never pull back into the right lane after they pass, which creates a problem for others behind them. it's like nascar, they come up behind you 2 abreast, both doing the same speed, and one feels like he has to speed up to get in front other the other one to pass. no brains in use at all........

Old 12-19-2007, 08:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by laurie
i agree with you on the aggression you see on the roads. it's like manners, courtesy and safety have totally gone the way of $1 gas.

and as for the 4 lane lineup, i see it coming behind me all the time. there are people who never pull back into the right lane after they pass, which creates a problem for others behind them. it's like nascar, they come up behind you 2 abreast, both doing the same speed, and one feels like he has to speed up to get in front other the other one to pass. no brains in use at all........

Ok I will admit that even though at times I can ****-off some people by just letting go of the gas, I did not mention that I only do that if someone is EXTREEMLY aggressive when tailgating. If someone is creeping up slowly, I do have the courtesy to move over a lane to let them pass. The reason for this is because I dont want to ruin my MPG hahahaha