HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

How do you deal with tailgaters?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 06:40 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default How do you deal with tailgaters?

I feel like I need a bumber sticker that says, "CAUTION! This vehicle only travels at the speed limit!"

In my younger days, I would do something stupid like slam on the brakes. Now, although it kills me and it feels totally unsafe, I think the best I can do is ignore them. (I'd really like a smoke-screen or something)

Also, in my risky driving at the speed limit, I had to cut off a bimmer in the fast lane this morning. I sat patiently in the right-hand lane with my blinker on waiting for my window. Then I saw a guy flying up from behind with obviously no intension of letting me over. I just went over and gave him a thank-you wave for letting me in!

I feel like I need to change jobs and become a state trooper, so I can pull all these a-holes over. Ugh, rant over.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:54 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How do you deal with tailgaters?

I too drive quite close to the speed limit on the side roads and often under the limit on the Interstate (especially when I'm slowing up the last bit of an uphill of a 65 mph zone and am at 55 mph until over the crest of the hill when I slowly accelerate again). I usually do not have tailgaters since I drive so slow sometimes or do the speed up down the hills and slow down up the hills and people with cruise control on do not like this and pass me. If I do get someone following (following safely is fine but when I can't see their grille or hood emblem in the rearview mirror then that is a tad too close at highway speeds) then I usually just slow down to 10 mph below, 15 mph below, 25 below, etc. until they decide to pass.

One thing I still laugh about is when I am in the right lane (aka slow lane) and am doing 60 mph in a 65 mph zone. I see a large SUV pull up and draft behind me (not sure why) and typically they are on their cell phone and not paying attention to their speed but just "that they are keeping up with traffic." I slow down a little to 55 mph and they are still there and slow to 50 mph and they are STILL there. There is also no traffic in the left lane (aka fast lane). They drive behind me for a good mile or two or three. Then, I move over to the fast lane and they mash the accelerator and blow by me. I pull back into the slow lane and just laugh. They weren't capable of passing? They had to wait until I moved out of their way before passing me? I just laugh then look over when they pass by and, sure enough, almost always they are on a cell phone or in a conversation with a passenger. I see this more often than tailgaters.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:33 AM

So, I need a cannister of laughing gas...

Old 01-30-2007, 08:12 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by noflash
"CAUTION! This vehicle only travels at the speed limit!"
Did you see the video of a group of people who went 55 on all lanes of the beltway around Atlanta? Huge backup behind them.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...+speed&pl=true

Old 01-30-2007, 08:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

My feeling is if you're going to poke along then stay over to the right and let others pass.(that is if you're holding up traffic at all) I find I'm usually the guy flashing my lights

Old 01-30-2007, 08:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by adamek
Did you see the video of a group of people who went 55 on all lanes of the beltway around Atlanta? Huge backup behind them.

If you read very many posts here, it's obvious nobody here is advocating bottlnecking traffic. Many here are going no faster than the posted limit, while allowing drivers from behind every opportunity to pass.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:52 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by adamek

wow that was great. very well produced. Thanks for sharing. Tip of my hat to those guys and gals

That was one of the best internet video clips that I have ever seen. Boy this type of experiment can really identify the a'holes. The cops ought to do this as a sting and nab the jerks that pass on the shoulder.

Thanks again. 2 thumbs way up!!

Old 01-30-2007, 11:04 AM

My only issue has been using the HOV lanes here in So. Cal. Yesterday I had an illegal driver on my tail in the HOV lane. I was doing 69 at the time. He zoomed past me at an area where it widens to two lanes (another HOV lane merging in from a different freeway). Jerk. I saw him pull the passenger sun visor down (cloudy day) when he moved into the HOV lane. Guess he though that would fool everyone into thinking he had a passenger. Where are the cops when you need them!

Old 01-30-2007, 11:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Anahymbrid
I saw him pull the passenger sun visor down (cloudy day) when he moved into the HOV lane.
Nice trick. He'll get nailed one of these days. This type of a violation is a nice little round up for the CHP.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:25 PM

These violators usually have deep tinted windows so it's hard to see if there's a passenger or not. Usually, the tinting is illegal, too! I've also seen SUV's with DVD players and no one sitting in back to watch them.

Of course, I've heard the stories of violators using blow-up dolls, mannequins, etc., as well as the pregnant ladies who claim the fetus as the passenger!

To be fair, I have also seen vehicles I was sure were illegal, but when they passed I saw a kid in the back. It does happen!

Quick Reply: How do you deal with tailgaters?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands