HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Help needed with grid charging/discharging.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2024, 06:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Help needed with grid charging/discharging.

Originally Posted by 06hybrid
Thanks again for your works of wisdom. Very much appreciated.

Just finished the 25 hour balance charge. Final voltage was 193.

I have two things to share with those who might be reading this thread. First, it might be a good idea to leave the fan running for a period of time after ending the charge to allow for the battery to cool. Second, if you're using an inexpensive $6.99 7-function digital multimeter from Harbor Freight (also available from other sources) and getting strange readings you might want to replace the 9 volt battery. In my case the grid charger voltage seemed to be fluctuating in a strange way that I hadn't experienced before. After replacing the 9 volt battery in the meter (old battery was only at about 8 volts) everything was normal. Just to be certain, I switched to my Fluke multimeter for confirmation.
Running the fan after cooling isn't a bad idea if you feel a little bit of warmth at the exit.

Yep. Meter weirdness is usually the battery or a bad connection. When at peak voltage, it's not uncommon to see a little fluctuation.

Good luck!!!!!

Old 01-10-2024, 03:28 PM
Enthusiast

Installed the battery in the car today and got a negative recal after driving the car for an hour. Also got the "marching" bars up to full. The previous owner of the car claimed he never had an IMA light during his five years of ownership. The car doesn't have any IMA or any other type of CEL.

Just out of curiosity, what is it about the HCH2 battery that makes it a poor candidate for discharging?

Thanks again.

Old 01-10-2024, 04:47 PM

Installed the battery in the car today and got a negative recal after driving the car for an hour. Also got the "marching" bars up to full. The previous owner of the car claimed he never had an IMA light during his five years of ownership. The car doesn't have any IMA or any other type of CEL.

Just out of curiosity, what is it about the HCH2 battery that makes it a poor candidate for discharging?

Thanks again.
The "march" up is a positive recal, so you received a negative recal, and a forced charge terminated by a positive recal. Pretty much worst case, but they can occur as the car adjusts SoC. If it doesn't happen again, it's good. If it does, bad.

A common complaint with the HCH2 is the updated software that will recalibrate a failing battery over and over and over before actually triggering P0A7F/IMA.

ALL Honda batteries present a discharge risk. The HCH2 is just the worst of them.

If you receive another recalibration, I would increase charge time to 32-36 hours and then discharge to 99V. Repeat 32-36h charge, install, pray, and try again.

Old 01-10-2024, 05:18 PM
Enthusiast

Okay. I understand. Not to be pessimistic, but I have a feeling that I haven't seen the last of the recalibrations. If or when I end up discharging the battery, should I use two 60W bulbs in series down to 145V and then switch to 25W bulbs from that point down to 99V?

Thank you once again. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Old 01-10-2024, 05:28 PM
Enthusiast

'Now that I think about it, I don't believe that the positive recal immediately followed the negative recal. It may have been later in the drive. Not sure if that's relevant.

Old 01-10-2024, 06:13 PM

'Now that I think about it, I don't believe that the positive recal immediately followed the negative recal. It may have been later in the drive. Not sure if that's relevant.
It would have happened a few minutes after the drop to 2 bars and forced charge.

Old 01-10-2024, 06:19 PM

Okay. I understand. Not to be pessimistic, but I have a feeling that I haven't seen the last of the recalibrations. If or when I end up discharging the battery, should I use two 60W bulbs in series down to 145V and then switch to 25W bulbs from that point down to 99V?

Thank you once again. Your help is greatly appreciated.
I'd just do the 25W. It will take forever, but low and slow is better for a risky battery as it keeps the current low in the event of a cell polarity reversal.

Old 01-11-2024, 06:53 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you. Any guess on how long the discharge with the two 25W bulbs will take?

Old 01-11-2024, 07:07 AM

Thank you. Any guess on how long the discharge with the two 25W bulbs will take?
25W/158.4V = .157A

5.5A/.157A = 35 hours

Old 01-13-2024, 10:36 AM
Enthusiast

Not surprisingly the car did another negative/positive recal early into the drive after sitting overnight. I think that was the only time during my 170 mile trip. I'm guessing that it's possibly a self discharge issue. I will perform the charge/discharge/charge per your instructions and report back with the results. It might be a few days.

Thank you for your help and have a good weekend.

Quick Reply: Help needed with grid charging/discharging.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands