HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

HCHII failure to start

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 11:55 AM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: HCHII failure to start

Originally Posted by riksmg1
I believe the cars computer components run of the 12v system making the IMA unusable when thers no 12v. I wonder how much 12v power is needed to get the IMA up and running to recharge the 12v battery. Possably using a small 12v battery you could plug in through the 12v accessory plug in the car and get the IMA back up.

Reverse powering through the accessory plugs will not work because they are each controlled by a relay. You need the 12V subsystem power & logic for the relays to close the circuit.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 12-16-2009, 08:23 AM
Enthusiast

I know this thread is old and no one may be reading it any more, but I thought I would share my very recent experience with my 2006 HCH. Hubby drove it the night before to go Christmas shopping. He left the "map" lights on overnight. The next day, I went to go to the store, and the car wouldn't unlock from my remote. Mine is older and well used, so I thought maybe his key would work. No luck. I manually unlocked the door with the key and got in to notice the map lights on but very dim. I figured I had a dead battery. I called AAA and they came out with a jump box, but the car would not start (panic setting in). The car had full electrical power, navi working, lights did not dim when trying to start the car while hooked up to the jump pack. Still just a few clicking sounds and it would not start. To make a long story short, we eventually had to have it towed to a Honda dealer where they said the 12 volt battery was totally dead and wouldn't even take a charge. They replaced the battery and the car STILL would not start. Eventually they figured out that the theft-deterrent system was not recognizing any of the keys (luckily we had brought all three with us to the dealer just in case). So basically, we had to pay $125.00 for the battery and install as well as $129 for them to reprogram the system to recognize the keys. So I guess if the 12v battery dies completely, there is a chance the system will lose the ability to recognize the keys. I just bought the car 35 days ago as a certified used vehicle, so I'm going to ask the dealer to cover the costs....I'll let you know how that goes.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by msantos
Reverse powering through the accessory plugs will not work because they are each controlled by a relay. You need the 12V subsystem power & logic for the relays to close the circuit.

Cheers;

MSantos
Whats the easy then to charge the 12V with the solar panels. I know about your mod but that takes some electrical skill to install any other way?

Old 03-14-2010, 03:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

Danelle did you manage to get any money back ?