HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

HCH-II Defrost autostop hack

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 09:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HCH-II Defrost autostop hack

Did you ever figure this out? I kinda want to try the hack, since I don't use AC in the winter.

Come to think of it, here in SoCal, I don't use the defroster much either

Old 11-25-2007, 06:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have not yet figured this out. I did learn you can use the climate control as an OBD-II code reader though. that was in the helms manual I purchased.

if anyone knows how I did this please let me know I still want to reverse it.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:51 AM

I did learn you can use the climate control as an OBD-II code reader though.
It's not necessarily an OBD-II code reader. You can use it to show certain error codes, along with operating information about your stereo system.

I checked the service manual and I found nothing about an autostop defrost hack.

However, there may be something wrong with your HVAC (if it's not that hack causing the problem).
----------------
To test your HVAC:
1. turn ignition OFF
2. press and hold AUTO and RECIRCULATION, turn the igition switch ON (II), then release the buttons.
3. All LCD segments will come on for 2 sec and diagnostics will begin.
(NOTE: the blower will run at various speeds, regardless of what is displayed)
4. If there is any problem in the system, it flashes AUTO 88, or alternatley flashes "AUTO 88" and one or more of the 14 segments.
Now, I'm not going to list ALL of the possible error codes, but if you (or anyone else reading this thread) get any, let me know which section(s) (of the '88') are being displayed and if the auto or recirculate lights are on. I can look it up and tell you what your problem is.

Last edited by giantquesadilla; 12-01-2007 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:30 PM
Enthusiast

http://www.hybridcars.com/gas-saving...ic-hybrid.html

Using the defroster, especially the electric rear defroster, places high loads on the engine and uses additional fuel. To keep auto-stop working while using the windshield defroster, keep the vent set to defrost but keep the fan set to off. This will allow a steady flow of air over the windshield. As needed, switch the fan on half way, let it run for a minute, then switch it off.

Alternatively, you can try this "hack:"
  1. Turn the vent control (top ****) to "face" (one to the right of auto).
  2. Turn the temp **** all the way to cold (left).
  3. Turn the fan control to "auto."
  4. Hold the three buttons down: AC, recirculate and econ button.
  5. Insert key into ignition and start.
  6. Hold the buttons down for seven seconds. The ECON light will blink 7 times.
  7. Release button.
  8. Now you can enter auto-stop while using defrost.
  9. To switch back to default, repeat the process above.
Yeah I know a lot of the stuff on that page is wrong but I think that's what you were asking for.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

that process is for the first gen honda civic.

thanks though

Old 12-03-2007, 08:23 PM
Part Time Hybrids

Now I'm confused. Does the rear defroster waste fuel? I thought it was full electric and just a battery charge drain.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sungod18
Now I'm confused. Does the rear defroster waste fuel? I thought it was full electric and just a battery charge drain.
True... it is just a charge drain... but instead of using that electric power for defrosting, it could be helping to move the car forward. More electic assist means less power needed from the ICE and higher MPG.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Part Time Hybrids

Originally Posted by Anahymbrid
True... it is just a charge drain... but instead of using that electric power for defrosting, it could be helping to move the car forward. More electic assist means less power needed from the ICE and higher MPG.
Does the rear defroster draw power directly from the battery? Or does it take power from the assist motor?

When your using a few bars of assist your using say 25% of the full assist power. Now you hit the defroster and it begins to draw power. But it draws from the battery directly, not going through the motor. So the motor is still using 25% power.

The only reason I could see rear defrost lowering mpg is if it lowers the charge enough to force a regen. Otherwise if I'm not mistaken there is no effect on mpg.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:51 PM

The defroster (along with all other accessories) draws power from the 12V battery. However, unlike most cars the HCH doesn't have an alternator. The 12V is charged by the 158V IMA battery. So energy taken from the 12V has to be made up by taking charge from the IMA battery and converting it to 12V. The energy taken from the IMA battery could have been used to propel the car, instead of using the gas to do it (whether it's via forced regen or just less assist when accelerating due to lower battery).