HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

First oil change today

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 02:27 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: First oil change today

Originally Posted by ryanw
My civic didn't come with an owner's manual. How many quarts do these cars take? Has anyone ever tried Royal Purple oil? This oil got me a DYNO PROVEN 8hp gain after using it and I got 4mpg better in my old car.
https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/sh...php?i=2559&c=6

3.4 quarts

Old 07-09-2007, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by ryanw
Has anyone ever tried Royal Purple oil? This oil got me a DYNO PROVEN 8hp gain after using it and I got 4mpg better in my old car.
They don't list a 0w-20 on their website... Amsoil does though so I will use it next time provided I am unable to find Mobil 1.

Originally Posted by Mr. Kite
3.4 quarts
Mine lists 4.0 (including filter). I have a late production 2006 for whatever that's worth.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by kristian
Mine lists 4.0 (including filter). I have a late production 2006 for whatever that's worth.
That's interesting. They have all kinds of discrepancies in the manual. When I had my first oil change, they dumped in 4 quarts and it was at the full mark. I had asked them to only put in 3.4, but they didn't listen. The second time, I made sure they didn't put in a full 4 quarts.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:57 PM
teh nuberz

They don't list a 0w-20 on their website... Amsoil does though so I will use it next time provided I am unable to find Mobil 1.

I noticed that too. They only have 5w20. Shouldn't make too much difference though.
So the jury is out on whether or not it's 4 or 3.4?

Old 07-09-2007, 05:35 PM
Happy Camper Enthusiast

No jury, Kristian, the manuals consistently say 3.4. A dealer putting in 4 is just selling you more oil.

I buy my Mobil 1 0w-20 at Autobarn (http://www.autobarn.com/) and just have it sent. I missed the great Walmart clearance earlier this year where they sold out all their stocks of the stuff. And no autoparts store in range (Autozone, Checker) had 0-20.

Cheers --
Doug

Old 07-09-2007, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by DougD
No jury, Kristian, the manuals consistently say 3.4. A dealer putting in 4 is just selling you more oil.
It depends on what page you read. If you read page 242:

Change
Including Filter 3.4 US qt
Without Filter 3.2 US qt
Total 4.0 US qt

(I don't quite understand that math, but that is where I read the 4.0 qt)

OR, if you read the last page in my manual, it says 3.4 US qt.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:01 PM

It depends on what page you read. If you read page 242:

Change
Without Filter 3.2 US qt
Total 4.0 US qt

(I don't quite understand that math, but that is where I read the 4.0 qt)

OR, if you read the last page in my manual, it says 3.4 US qt.
Just to give a little more detail, this is what is in the manual:

Change (*2)
Without Filter 3.2 US qt
Total 4.0 US qt

*2: Excluding the oil remaining in the engine

The 4.0 US qt includes the oil remaining in the engine when you change the oil (the total capacity). Just as the total capacity of the AT fluid is 5.4 US qt, but you can only change 3.0 US qt.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Happy Camper Enthusiast

Hmmm, didn't see that part. Thanks for the clarifier.

I'm stumped on something: oil collects in the pan when you turn the engine off. Where else in the engine would better than a pint of oil hang out when it's shut off? (Note that it can't be the filter -- the filter is explicitly included in the 3.4 figure, and given the 3.2 sans filter figure, apparently holds .2 qt.) The drain plug's at pretty much the bottom of the pan -- would there really be a pint left hanging out in there when it's finished draining? (I have a hand pump -- could find out the next time I change mine. . . .)

btw, on the trans, you can only get at two thirds of the fluid because that's all that's in the pan to begin with -- the rest is in the clutch area (on an auto trans, it's in the torque converter). I'm not aware of any analogous structure on an ICE that would contain much oil after shutdown.

--doug

Last edited by DougD; 07-09-2007 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:19 AM

That reminds me of a Car Talk I listened to a few years ago where the caller would run his engine for 30 seconds or so with the oil plug out to make sure that he got ALL of the oil out of the engine. Click and Clack's reaction was pretty funny, but I wouldn't be able to do it justice. Needless to say, they did not think that was a good idea.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:38 PM

I'd think that a pint could easily be held in the oil pump and oil galleries within the block, crankshaft, etc... and pooled in areas of the cylinder head.

Quick Reply: First oil change today

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands