HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Battery refurbish in process - IMAX B6

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 08:58 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery refurbish in process - IMAX B6

Torx Screw removal in progress...2 out 5 to go. Took me 2 hours to get the first one out and 5 minutes to get the second. Need to recharge my handheld drill battery now... :/

I am sooo not mechanically inclined. The screw extractor I bought came in 3 sizes. I started with the smallest size since that was the recommended one to use for the size screw I'm trying to get out and the head exploded on me. The middle size one worked at least :/

Old 11-19-2011, 07:10 PM

Day 2, another failure. I spent all day getting those cursed torx screws out that I stripped. I managed to get 6 out but 1 remains. Each one got harder than the last so I fear the bits became dull.

Those stupid screws are stronger than the panel.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

after about 3-4 weeks of sitting, my old battery got down to 157 volts. I put it on the charger all night and its at 185V now. I will install next week

Old 11-20-2011, 09:54 AM
Tight Wad

Ok, that's the information we are all looking forward to seeing. Also looking forward to seeing Ross do the same thing.

Originally Posted by hunter44102
after about 3-4 weeks of sitting, my old battery got down to 157 volts. I put it on the charger all night and its at 185V now. I will install next week

Old 11-20-2011, 12:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I really believe once the cel is weak it is toast? Therefore it will have to be replaced! I hope that is not the case however. H

Old 11-20-2011, 01:22 PM
Tight Wad

Originally Posted by Harold
I really believe once the cel is weak it is toast? Therefore it will have to be replaced! I hope that is not the case however. H
H, I think you are right, but it's worth a chance to try charging. I do believe that my battery has improved after charging, but nowhere close to like it was when new. I charged mine for the second time and the first day that I drove it, it was like new. Today, the second day since charging, it had one recal. If it's anything like the first time, it will still have recals, but they seemed to take less time to recal and the battery seems to last a little longer between recals. I hope that now that I've charged it a second time (much longer) that it's improved more. Time will tell. When Ross and Hunter have the time to install their original batteries we will have more data to analyze.

I’ve never seen other NMhi batteries come back anywhere like new after they start to show signs of deterioration. Laptop batteries, flashlight batteries, camera strobe batteries, never charged back up like new no matter what I tried. I think that Ross’ battery will be the most interesting to watch since he has taken his battery completely apart and conditioned each 12 cell stick individually and put it back together. He will probably charge the whole pack like the rest of us before he puts it back in his car. I am hoping that “IF” they are not successful with the spare packs that they are in possession of that some of the “good” sticks will be up for sale to replace the bad sticks in some of our packs. I don’t want my car to be down for a long time so if I take my pack apart I will need to know how to determine the good from the bad or marginal sticks so I can quickly reassemble the pack and get the car up and running.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:09 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Maybe by trickle charging once a mth. your HCH2 will good enough and not have many re-calibrations. One RC now and then is no big deal, but when you get a dozen a day I suppose can be a bit testy, I would think!
Ross purchased a used pack and checked out all the cells before installing it in his car and he has had good luck with it. I cant remember ,but I think Hunter purchased a used pack for his car as well. I wish you all good luck with your experiments. H

Old 11-20-2011, 05:12 PM
Tight Wad

I did some looking for a used pack with very little luck. I only found one place that has one and they want an arm and a leg for it with only a 30 warranty. They can't even say how many miles on the car and it was on the other side of the country.

If any of you guys knows of a good deal on a used pack please let me know.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Jeep - there is a difference between all those batteries you mentioned. This Honda battery is only used from 20 to 80% capacity, which should make it last 10,000 cycles or more, instead of 500 cycles from 0 to 100%. So unless you allowed your Honda to sit for months at 0%, there is no way you could have killed your battery just driving it for 4 years or so. However, heat is a big enemy, and with earlier software, Honda had more aggressive charge/discharge which is not good as lower current charges/discharges (unless you have some serious liquid cooling like the Ford escape hybrid). Its possible that with Stop/Go driving in heat, you could have done damage. I have done some of that driving with the old software.

Jeep I bought mine from a listing on Carpart.com - Just put in Honda civic hybrid and 2006-2008 battery and you will get a hundred results from different recyclers and junk yards.

I would ignore any re-cals that happen in the first 2 days after doing a Power re-set. You would EXPECT a re-cal or two because the computer has no idea what the charge state is. My newer battery had one re-cal the day of install, and another the next day, but I have not had a single one since in over 2 months. We'll see if this is true with the other battery. I should be able to do it this coming Friday or Saturday

Old 11-21-2011, 02:04 PM

Ok, so I spent several more hours trying to get that bolt out and no success. Out of frustration I just bent back the metal shield and was able to pull the battery out that way. It's all warped now but I did what I had to do?

Trying now to charge...I flipped the big black switch on the battery back to "ON" after hooking up my power supply as shown in the diagram. Once I flip the switch to on the voltage drops to 125 V and there's no current flowing according to the power supply... Not sure what's going on. I've tried starting the power supply first, turning the battery switch to on first, tried both those options with "constant voltage" and "constant current."

Last edited by owlmaster08; 11-21-2011 at 02:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Battery refurbish in process - IMAX B6

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands