HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Battery refurbish in process - IMAX B6

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 09:01 PM
Tight Wad
Default Re: Battery refurbish in process - IMAX B6

Well, I got mine on eBay but it's only 200vdc and 2A but paid $30 +$20 shipping. But the guy refunded $10 because the shipping only cost him $10. So, I got mine for $40 total.

Originally Posted by owlmaster08
Yeah, supposed to be able to 500 V and 500mA, I think. I'll try not to kill my self. Yeah, $50 + $20 shipping, got lucky on a bid! Unit powered up fine last night and was able to light a lamp I hooked up to so I suppose it works.

One hold up on me starting still. My wife has a sonata hybrid and it's having issues so it's at the dealer and we need to keep at least one car around the house functional (I live close enough to work I usual bike)...One difference though between Hyundai and Honda: Hyundai acknowledges the problems and is trying to fix them and has promised to mail me a $50 gift card for my troubles! I should be able to pick it up tomorrow and then commence work!

Old 11-18-2011, 01:30 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Argh! So I didn't have the right tools (10 mm socket and 6" extension) to get the back seat cushion out. Had to make a trip out to wally world to get them. I finally got the back seat cushion out and now I can't get the panel off. My largest bit for torx is T25, looks like I need a T27? Looks like another trip to walmart.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:18 PM
Tight Wad

Yup, it takes a 10 and 12 mm socket to do the job - not to mention the torx bit.

I just finished R&R my battery and installing the leads with diodes so I can charge it when ever I want. It's charging now. I suggest you try charging before you get it all back together. I put the diodes in the wrong way the first time - of course it didn't work.

I overtighted one of the short seat bolts and broke it off. Tried to get it out with an EZ out with no success. It looks like some of the seat bolts are not the originals. First off, one of the long bolts was completely missing. One of the short bolts had a phillips and 10mm cap. I'll fix it later when I get over to my Honda buddies house. He's got a selection of metric bolts and I'll probably have to completely drill it out and tap it the next size up. When I first bought my Honda, it had a bit of a squeak coming from the back seat area. I found out it was because one of the long seat bolts was missing.

My battery is charged up to 185vdc now. I don't feel like staying home all day and night so I think I'll take a drive and when I'm done for the night I'll charge it all night. I'll probably start charging around 6pm and quit around 10am Saturday. That's 16 hours.

Argh! So I didn't have the right tools (10 mm socket and 6" extension) to get the back seat cushion out. Had to make a trip out to wally world to get them. I finally got the back seat cushion out and now I can't get the panel off. My largest bit for torx is T25, looks like I need a T27? Looks like another trip to walmart.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

cool Jeep I wish your battery lots of luck with the long charge.

You won't believe how nice the car will feel when the re-cals are gone. no more loss of power.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:37 PM

This is getting pretty frustrating. I got myself a torx set. It looks like T30 is actually the right size...I was able to get 2 out. The rest are stripped and don't want to come out.

Currently googling for the best way to get out stripped screws...

Old 11-18-2011, 08:54 PM

Looks like I need to get a screw extractor (and a drill!) This is getting a lot more expensive than originally thought. It's late, so trip to the hardware store will have to happen tomorrow. I can't believe I'm going through all this trouble and my battery is still under warranty.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:14 PM
Tight Wad

You didn't strip them out using the wrong (T27) torx bit did you? You have to use a lot of inward pressure as you turn them out. I hate torx screws. They are useless in my opinion.

Well, my battery has been charging now for 6 hours and this time it didn't charge up as high as before. It's holding steady at 178vdc. Earlier today it charged up to 184vdc. I wonder why the difference.

By 8am tomorrow it will be charging for 16 hours. I think that is enough. If not, I'll charge it again later this weekend when it's raining.

This is getting pretty frustrating. I got myself a torx set. It looks like T30 is actually the right size...I was able to get 2 out. The rest are stripped and don't want to come out.

Currently googling for the best way to get out stripped screws...

Old 11-19-2011, 12:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

Owl - let me know how many Torx screws you need. I have a whole extra set when I bought the 'junkyard' battery they sent me the entire IMA Box

Jeep - when I was conditioning my current battery (which has no re-cals) I remember it stopping around 179 sometimes. If you do a partial discharge and then charge it again it will probably go back into the 180's again

Old 11-19-2011, 12:15 AM
Tight Wad

It's been charging for 7.5 hours now and the voltage dropped more - to 176vdc. I don't feel comfortable letting it charge all night without checking on it every hour or so. I smell weird smells, the voltage keeps dropping - I just don't want my garage with everything in it to burn down. (car too).

I disconnected it for the night and when I get up in the morning I will start it up again. It only takes 1 minute to disconnect it and it's ready to drive so it's no big deal to start it up again in the morning.

I did charge it for 3 hours when I first connected the new leads and it ran great with no recals. But, it ran great last time too (for one day). Keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Boy, this thread keeps getting more interesting all the time. I'm wondering if the damage cells[or weak cells] will restore? I would be looking for a good used pack just to be on the safe side! H

Quick Reply: Battery refurbish in process - IMAX B6

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands