HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Battery refurbish in process - IMAX B6

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 03:17 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery refurbish in process - IMAX B6

Went to the inlaws this weekend and counted the number of recals. 187 miles to get there and 22 recals. I was too depressed to count the number on the way back.

My power supply gets here Wednesday. Hopefully grid charging fixes my battery. I will update with results once I have them.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Owl - if you have 2-3 days to spare for restoring your battery, here is what I would recommend:

1) Connect the grid charger and set to 190V, 0.350A and let it sit for 6-8 hours. Run a small fan through the battery pack. It should end up over 180V
2) Disconnect grid charger and let the battery settle for 2 hours
3) Connect a 60W light bulb and drain the battery down to 108V. This may take 2-3 hours depending on your battery capacity. You may burn out a bulb or two (I haven't yet but the higher voltage might)
4) Do another grid charge but let it sit for 10 hours or so, then the battery should be ready.

It wouldn't hurt to do another set of steps 3 and 4 if you have time. Your battery sounds pretty bad!

Old 11-14-2011, 01:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

The diodes are backwards in your diagram. You want the diodes to allow current from the charger but not allow current to return from the battery.]
Ross, hope my diagram is correct now. Please check V2.1 attached.

Ross, thanks for the parts list and part numbers. I have found all of them now on the digikey site.

I also added another attachment to confirm where one taps into the battery for charging and discharging.

Thanks

Mike

Attached Thumbnails Battery refurbish in process - IMAX B6-diagram-onto-p1180021-v2.1.jpg   Battery refurbish in process - IMAX B6-dsc00044.jpg  
Old 11-15-2011, 02:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

Nav,

That looks great. All correct.

Hunter, I suggest a slightly different charge routine...

As this is trickle charging and not likely to create a permanent fix I would connect the wires as I mentioned before, running them between the seats and out to some obscure spot where they can be tucked when not in use. Then I would leave the battery in the car and put the seats back in. Now you can trickle charge once every few weeks or so as needed to rebalance the pack.

The charger will set the voltage for you... you can't set it. It changes it's voltage to feed a constant 310ma of current into the battery.

Unless this is done in a really hot climate, the fan should not be necessary. None of my batteries got hot charging them with five amps of current on the table. They started to warm up as they approached full. We're using a magnitude less current.

I would connect the trickle charger and give it a full twenty-four hours. I wouldn't bother to discharge the battery as that would require removing it from the car or wiring it without the diodes which are there for safety.

Charge it long and slow, then drive it and see what it does.

Cheers!

Ross

Old 11-16-2011, 07:44 PM

My Power supply is here! I had a 14 hour work day today so ate dinner and going to bed now. Maybe I can get started tomorrow.

Not to get you two (ross and hunter) into an argument, but how did each of you decide what current to use? I have read websites talking about recommended charging currents, most say C/10 is recommended for a trickle charge.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:14 PM
Tight Wad

Originally Posted by owlmaster08
My Power supply is here! I had a 14 hour work day today so ate dinner and going to bed now. Maybe I can get started tomorrow.

Not to get you two (ross and hunter) into an argument, but how did each of you decide what current to use? I have read websites talking about recommended charging currents, most say C/10 is recommended for a trickle charge.
What does C/10 mean? Greek to me...

Old 11-17-2011, 12:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

Owl,

I would set the supply at 310 miliamps (like the grid charger) and trickle charge for about twenty or so hours. At that current you should barely start to warm things up.

Best of luck!

Ross

Last edited by rossfree; 11-17-2011 at 12:41 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

I agree with Ross.. 310mA should work fine. I went by the 'ecomodder' info that used 350mA:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...vic-13610.html

This should answer all your questions about C/10 pretty quickly:
http://www.dream-models.com/eco/electrics-charging.html

Old 11-17-2011, 06:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

Owl,

That's a screaming power supply you got there off of ebay. Let us know how that thing works! I looked it up on the internet... looks like a winner... and for fifty bucks?!! Wow! I'll have to keep that in mind for the future.

Ross

Old 11-17-2011, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by rossfree
Owl,

That's a screaming power supply you got there off of ebay. Let us know how that thing works! I looked it up on the internet... looks like a winner... and for fifty bucks?!! Wow! I'll have to keep that in mind for the future.

Ross
Yeah, supposed to be able to 500 V and 500mA, I think. I'll try not to kill my self. Yeah, $50 + $20 shipping, got lucky on a bid! Unit powered up fine last night and was able to light a lamp I hooked up to so I suppose it works.

One hold up on me starting still. My wife has a sonata hybrid and it's having issues so it's at the dealer and we need to keep at least one car around the house functional (I live close enough to work I usual bike)...One difference though between Hyundai and Honda: Hyundai acknowledges the problems and is trying to fix them and has promised to mail me a $50 gift card for my troubles! I should be able to pick it up tomorrow and then commence work!

Quick Reply: Battery refurbish in process - IMAX B6

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands