HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Am I paranoid, or did they lie?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 09:48 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Am I paranoid, or did they lie?

Well, I think my question's answered now. I just had my car serviced again 2 days ago, and this time, I put a note in the car saying "Use only 0 Weight Oil". I also wrote that on the key-envelope's instructions. I put it everywhere.

Guess what, I went from not being able to get any higher than 51-53mpg, to 71mpg on a short regular trip. And that's without even checking my tire pressures yet.

So, now I'm convinced they just lied. I'm not too happy about that.
Oh well. I haven't actually been logging my mpgs lately, but I'm starting again. This time, I'm including temperatures too, since I did notice that winter dropped me down substantially (hopefully I won't be down around mid-30s again like last winter with the non-0W oil).
At least this way, if I feel concerned that they lie again next time, I'll have a daily log of mpg numbers to compare to, and confront them with.

-Mo

Old 09-09-2007, 04:54 PM
Part Time Hybrids

More CT owners!

What honda dealer was it if you don't mind my asking?

I purchased my civic thru Manchester Honda and I'd safely say they have no knowledge of hybrids at all. I've had one major service since the recall behind the seats, and I suspect they just "fixed" a problem that didn't exist because they could not understand what I wanted. I went to see if I could get the software update many users here talked about. They basically said yah sure, and I got a tachometer replasement instead, car was kept overngiht without first calling and informing me the service would be over night. Not sure they have a full deck of cards on their hybrid service.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:59 AM
Enthusiast

For what it's worth, I think the owner's manual notes that if 0W-20 oil is not available, 5W-20 can be used.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:17 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Yup... they lied

Hi sparksongs, I noticed it said that in the manual too. The point was, that I said I wanted specifically 0W oil, they went on to say that yes, they put in 0W oil, and it was a bold-faced lie. Directly afterwards I was noticing a much lower mpg.
I'm pretty certain they used 0W this time, and since Saturday, I've been driving at an average of 5-15 mpg better than I have since the last oil change (bringing me up to about the same mileage as I was originally getting).
So, average 10 mpg over 10,000 miles, at a conservatively low price of $2.60 a gallon, and we're talking an overall cost to me of $260.
At that rate, it's worth having the very specific 0W oil to me.

Sungod, I don't really want to point fingers, so, I'll just say it was in Groton. I'm hoping the previous time was just a fluke. I was very surprised (and impressed) that they went ahead and did the battery cover recall without me telling them (I had actually forgot about it.) Unfortunately, I had also forgot to mention the window roll-up problem I've had, like some other people.

Here's the other thing that annoyed me- I always give my cars a once over before leaving a dealership after any work. I'm glad I did- my passenger tire was flat.
They got a nail in it when they test drove it. They repaired it, but I can't help but think that if I made it out of the lot, and halfway down Rt 12 before noticing, that they'd have charged me for the repair, or said that they'd have to replace it.

Thanks for the heads up on Manchester- it's the next closest, and was going to be my next choice for a service center.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:39 PM
Opec Nightmare

We always change our oil when the meter reads approx. 40%, use 0w-20 Mobil 1, a Mobil 1 oil filter, and only use 3 qts. instead of the 3.4 qts recommended leaving the dip stick showing just below the full oil line. This seems to work very well for us.

Old 09-14-2007, 05:46 PM
Enthusiast

In my opinion, the difference between 0W20 and 5W20 would only effect someone living in an arctic climate. Both are 20 meet API specs for 20 weight oil. Likewise, the magic of the Honda factory fill oil is a figment of someones imagination. I'm sure that Honda contracts for bulk oils on a price for spec oil and buys the lowest cost. It probably changes from time to time as well.

I plan on using Pennzoil Platinum 5W20 because I can't find any other 0W20 besides Mobil 1 in town. Nothing wrong with M1 but I want to try the Pennzoil. Both are Group III oils and both have quality additive packages.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:03 PM
Opec Nightmare

Hi, Gary-- Just curious....what are you averaging for MPG?

Originally Posted by gfcrane
In my opinion, the difference between 0W20 and 5W20 would only effect someone living in an arctic climate. Both are 20 meet API specs for 20 weight oil. Likewise, the magic of the Honda factory fill oil is a figment of someones imagination. I'm sure that Honda contracts for bulk oils on a price for spec oil and buys the lowest cost. It probably changes from time to time as well.

I plan on using Pennzoil Platinum 5W20 because I can't find any other 0W20 besides Mobil 1 in town. Nothing wrong with M1 but I want to try the Pennzoil. Both are Group III oils and both have quality additive packages.

Old 09-16-2007, 05:15 PM
Enthusiast

I have something like 900 miles on the vehicle. I have filled it up twice, plus the dealer tank. So far it has averaged just over 38 mpg in 100 plus temperatures every day, all in city driving, air conditioner always on, and recommended tire pressure.(32 psig) I never expected 50 so am not disappointed at all. It beats 14 mpg on premium.

In my opinion, which could be disputed, these hybrids are a technological wonder but a commercial dead end. I bought one to try it since the next possible long term solution is a few years away. A more economically sound purchase would have been a standard Civic in my view, but I like different cars and could afford it.

The next vehicle I like in concept is the Chevy Volt, with a 110V plug-in battery and a small engine. If it's a diesel I'll probably buy one to try. I think the real short term solution is small. turbocharged diesel engines in small cars. (think Europe)

Old 09-17-2007, 10:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gfcrane
A more economically sound purchase would have been a standard Civic in my view
Agreed... Unless of course you do a lot of driving.

I did a quick analysis before purchasing an HCH II and determined that you need to drive 600-700 miles per week to reach the point where the Hybrid starts to meet or exceed the cost per mile in a conventional gas powered Civic. So if you drive less than 30,000 miles/year you are paying a premium to own a Honda Civic Hybrid.

I am on a pace to drive 40,000 miles per year so assuming I don't hit some major repairs after my 120K warranty goes out I might come out slightly better after 5 years and 200K with the Hybrid.

Eventhough it will be fiscally unsound, I am contemplating buying a second one and will be well below the break even point for Hybrid vs Gas. But the Hybrid makes me feel so good inside I may just do it anyway.