HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Empty Gas Gauge makes me Paranoid!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Efficiency Nut
Default Empty Gas Gauge makes me Paranoid!

Even if I JUST saw the last bar go out, with the electronic gauge I can't see the "below empty" part of the fuel tank that always told me HOW empty I was. So I immediately feel like I'm about to RUN OUT! And with the fairly rough behavior of the HCH II motor, who KNOWS if its really choking to a halt!
That said, I at last got a 602 mile tank, and made it to the gas station. I put in 11.2 gallons. So I reckon I had .4 gallons left, correct? That's 20 or 30 miles!
Oh well, more Excitement from the HCH II ! Peter

Old 07-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Empty Gas Gauge makes me Paranoid!

Our HCH II has a 12.4 gallon tank so you had more than you think. And I feel the same way when running on empty.

Old 07-13-2006, 05:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

I believe the manual states that there are approximately 1.7 gallons remaining when the low fuel light goes on and that there is a small reserve (whatever that is) remaining when no bars remain.

Still, I agree that it's easier to determine the exact amount of gas with the old analog gauges.

Old 07-13-2006, 09:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

I let one tank get down to 1 bar and I was panicking as I had a good 15 miles to go yet. I guess I needn't have worried so much. Still.. seeing one bar really gets me nervous. I typically get down to 2 and fill up anyway. I made it to the station just fine and filled up with around 10.6 gals as I recall.

-G

Old 07-13-2006, 12:06 PM
rgx
Active Enthusiast

When I filled up my first tank, the low fuel indicator had lit some 20 km ago. Filled 42 l, so there was probably more than 8 l left. I too think it is a mistake by Honda not to use the bar range for all the 50 l, rather than only the top 42 l. Especially since the last 8 l are way more interesting.

I am also missing a range calculation in the trip computer. Most other cars has it, why not the HCH?

Old 07-13-2006, 12:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rgx
When I filled up my first tank, the low fuel indicator had lit some 20 km ago. Filled 42 l, so there was probably more than 8 l left. I too think it is a mistake by Honda not to use the bar range for all the 50 l, rather than only the top 42 l. Especially since the last 8 l are way more interesting.

I am also missing a range calculation in the trip computer. Most other cars has it, why not the HCH?
I agree on both points. The range calculation is on my other Honda (06 Ody Touring). And as far as the electronic gas guage, I can't remeber which vehicle I drove that had a feature (for some reason I seem to think it's a late 80s to early 90s GM or Nissan model) that when you are below an 1/8th of a tank the guage expands to show the one 1/8th as the entire graph... ie, expands to 8 times it's normal size, allowing the driver to much more accurately guage the remaining fuel.

Old 07-13-2006, 03:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

There has been a discussion on this about 4 months ago. After all bars disappear you have approximately 1.5 gallons remaining. I've driven 70 miles and filled up with 11.2 or so.

Old 07-13-2006, 04:33 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chesleyn
There has been a discussion on this about 4 months ago. After all bars disappear you have approximately 1.5 gallons remaining. I've driven 70 miles and filled up with 11.2 or so.
Originally Posted by jonmatt4nr
I believe the manual states that there are approximately 1.7 gallons remaining when the low fuel light goes on and that there is a small reserve (whatever that is) remaining when no bars remain.
I am a bit confused, if the manual says there is 1.7 Gal remaining when the warning light comes on and it was determined there is 1.5 Gal remaining when all the lights turn off, are we only burning .2 Gal from when the reserve light comes on to all lights off?

I really do wish the HCH II had all the features to show fuel remaining like all the suggestions on this thread. Our 2005 Jetta has both a digital instantaneous MPG, a digital range to empty as well as two average MPG computer settings.

I would love to take the HCH II as far as possible without running out of gas (and all the problems it would cause). I guess I am going to have to do like my wife and fill up within a few miles after only a single bar is lit. I'll never get to the 600 or 700 mile club that way but I'll have piece of mind.

Old 07-13-2006, 09:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

As a safety precaution, just know you have aproximately 70 miles after all bars disappear. I left Pasadena, CA and drove to Norco, CA. Upon leaving Pasadena, my last fuel bar disappeared. I then drove 50 miles and got nervous, so I stopped in Norco to fill up. My tank took 11.3 gallons. If I'm right, that leaves ~ 1.1 gallons remaining. Now, I try to push my FE as much possible.

70 miles is a safe number, but I usually fill up after about 15-25 miles. No sense in damaging my baby.

Previous post:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...l?page=5&pp=10

Last edited by chesleyn; 07-13-2006 at 09:40 PM.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

Not every gauge will read the same, so others may have less or more fuel when that last bar disappears.

I get fuel when I have two bars left. Running out of gas wastes a lot of time and can damage the car. Why take a chance?

Quick Reply: Empty Gas Gauge makes me Paranoid!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands