Paranoid?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 06:26 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Paranoid?????

O.K.

Maybe I am just being paranoid, but I could use some insight from other owners, especially if this has happened.

My decide that she would back the car out of the garage and drive way today with the parking brake on!!!! We have a longer driveway that goes from the rear to the front of the house.

I am worried that she damaged the electric motors. My understanding is that in reverse, the vehicle only operates under the electric motors. I still can't believe she did this!!!!

As soon as I saw what she did I took the car for about a 20 minute spin and everything drives o.k. I wasn't able to get as good of mileage as normal on the route I drove, but I am not sure this is fair. Of course my mind now is running through all kinds of bad scenarios. I also noticed that when the car is on but the ICE is off, that I am hearing a high pitched sound coming from the engine compartment. I never noticed this before, but maybe it's because I never listened for something so critically.

Am I just being overly paranoid?

Thanks

Old 02-05-2006, 07:03 PM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: Paranoid?????

Originally Posted by Chilly
O.K.

Maybe I am just being paranoid, but I could use some insight from other owners, especially if this has happened.

My decide that she would back the car out of the garage and drive way today with the parking brake on!!!! We have a longer driveway that goes from the rear to the front of the house.

I am worried that she damaged the electric motors. My understanding is that in reverse, the vehicle only operates under the electric motors. I still can't believe she did this!!!!

As soon as I saw what she did I took the car for about a 20 minute spin and everything drives o.k. I wasn't able to get as good of mileage as normal on the route I drove, but I am not sure this is fair. Of course my mind now is running through all kinds of bad scenarios. I also noticed that when the car is on but the ICE is off, that I am hearing a high pitched sound coming from the engine compartment. I never noticed this before, but maybe it's because I never listened for something so critically.

Thanks
Hey Chilly;

I'll step up here and give you some (Dealership-Advise) that if I were you I would pay Very Close attention to.

If this vehicle has alot of Warranty left on it and it seems to be operating correctly, FORGET-IT.

Drive the vehicle and don't drive yourself Crazy.

Now the important thing is this. If the vehicle starts doing something wrong, take it to your dealer and tell them it is doing whatever your concern is.

DON'T TELL THEM WHAT YOU JUST TOLD US ON THIS FORUM:

Reason, they may just turn around at that point and charge you for the complete Repair of the vehicle and anything else that comes up that is Related to the same Condition. Because you told them your wife Burned Up The Electric Motors.

So, Calm down and just drive the vehicle like always and enjoy it and whatever you do if it would happen to mess up, do-not tell the Complete Story as to why you think it is not acting Right. Your comment should be that you have noticed that (Something-Seems) to be not right with whatever and you would like it repaired.

HTH;

Terry

BTW; I work for a dealer so appreciate what I am sharing with you here.

Old 02-05-2006, 10:47 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Paranoid?????

I would not be overly concerned either.

Moving with the brake on just means your motor had to work a little harder to overcome the friction of the brakes.

It also sounds like it was a really short distance, less than a tenth of a mile, right?

Manufacturers know stuff like this happens all the time. If the cars couldn't take it, they wouldn't sell many cars, now would they?

This is probably not even your case, but in the case of the Ford Escape, if the parking brake is applied firmly, it does not always release 100% when the hand brake is released.

If you think your brake is dragging slightly, apply the hand brake only part way and release it... and then drive a little forward and reverse to make sure the parking brake is totally "loose".

I'm 99.9% sure no damage could be done during such a short distance, and at such slow speeds.

Take Care, and what kind of mileage are you getting?
-John

Old 02-06-2006, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Chilly
O.K.

Thanks
Oh no, I wouldn't let her drive the car anymore! she was trying to break the new toy!!

No really Im sure if she did this all the time it may cause a problem to two, But just one time? I have done this in the prius once maybe twice and have had no problems. I would not worry about it.. (just GUILT the wife for driving with the brake on & let it go).

Old 02-06-2006, 08:23 AM

Feeling much better this morning. Drove it to work and everything went just fine. Gas mileage was normal, no weird noise when starting out under battery power.

I just had a bad case of "New Toy" syndrome.

No harm No foul.

Thanks for all the insight.

Last edited by Chilly; 02-06-2006 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:48 AM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS

The advice from tigerhonecker is excellent.Automakers are aware that folks are going to drive with the emergency brake on-happens all the time.If it were a big problem because of the electric motor they would have put an "owner proofing" device on it to prevent motor engagement with the EB on.
I once drove a Dodge Minivan-a rental-about 70 miles-at 70 mph- with the EB on.When I noticed it-I got out,and there was a funny burnt smell(no kidding),but I drove it another 1100 miles-no problems.Luck,Charlie
PS-I was glad it was a rental!!