HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

No cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 11:07 AM
Enthusiast
Default No cruise control

I have a 2005 Civic hybrid. I went thru a Buch of battery issues and now have a new hybrid battery. When I got the car back on the road the cruise control is dead. No light on the switch and no indicator on the dash. I check the owners manual for a Cruise control fuse, but did see one. Anyone have any good hints for trouble shooting.

Thanks in advance

Scott
2005 Civic Hybrid
2017 Accord Hybrid Touring

Old 09-28-2018, 01:06 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: No cruise control

Does the horn work? On some era civics the cruise control and horn were on the same fuse. Don't know specifically about this model.

There are several threads and other articles on this. See for instance:

https://honda-tech.com/how-tos/a/hon...working-374941

Old 09-28-2018, 05:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Issue for sure on the '06+. The cruise on/off switch on the wheel would fail, but it was a mechanical thing. You could hold it down and make it work.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

Fuse 7 under the hood controls horn, brake lights, and Cruise control.
Fuse 4 under the dashboard also affects the cruise control, but also so many other things, so it would be odd if the car ran well with this out.

Let's hope you just have a blown Fuse 7.

There are a bunch of switches involved:

1. Cruise control switch on the dash
2. Controls on steering wheel
3. Brake pedal position switch
4. clutch pedal position switch
5. CVT transmission range switch

The cruise control unit itself is under the dash more or less above the brake pedal. There is a 14 wire cable that plugs into it.

To test the switch (1) remove the little pocket that drops down from the dash on that side. Unplug the 5 wire connector from the switch. Release the clips on the top and bottom which hold it in place. It looks like you just need to squeeze these in towards the middle of the switch and you will then be able to push it through the dash. There are two bulbs in the switch, pop them out and make sure they are not open. Pins/sockets on the switch are numbered 1 to 5 left to right with the little clip facing up. Connections in the two states are:

OFF 2-B1-5 3-B2-4
ON 2-B1-5-1 3-B2-4

Where B1 and B2 are the bulbs.

The control set/resume/cancel switch on the steering wheel is held in by two screws. Remove them and it just pulls out. There is a 4 wire connector which is exposed. Pins are numbered 1->4 left to right when viewed with the little clip facing up.
Shorted pin in the various states are:

Set (ON) 1-3
Resume (ON) 1-2
Cancel (ON) 1-|>|-3
AND 1-|>|-2

Where |>| is a diode.