Traded the tahoe hybrid in

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 12:28 PM
'08 Yukon Hybrid
Default Re: Traded the tahoe hybrid in

Ha Ha, Thanks!

I actually came back to this forum to see what else might go wrong! lol

Glad to know you are having good luck with yours!

Old 05-13-2010, 04:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

What was wrong with the gas cap?

Old 05-13-2010, 07:06 PM
'08 Yukon Hybrid

According to OnStar my gas cap was missing or not on properly but it had been a week since I’d bought gas so that wasn’t it. Also, I double checked just to be sure! I would have been beyond embarrassed if I’d left it off myself.

According to the dealership it stopped sealing properly and they replaced it. I actually think they replaced it and crossed their fingers so far it’s fine.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:30 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Two batteries, fuse box, mystery lights, etc...
Me thinks you have a gremlin in the electrics.
Seriously, seems too coincidental. I would bet there is a single failure causing these issues. Something like a voltage spike. There was another poster that seem to have an issue that fit the profile of random voltage spikes.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

I think fjungman nailed it.

Amazing that On Star can tell if your gas cap is not on!

Old 05-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

There is a small pressure transducer mounted on the gas tank. All new gasoline vehicles like these have them. The engine computer runs evaporative emission tests periodically. There are some tubes and solenoids so that engine vacuum can be applied through the evaporative canister etc.

So with the sensory input the system can diagnose a small leak or a big leak. Big leaks usually trigger a nagging message on the DIC about the gas cap.

Since the large or small leak have different codes, On Star can read the code.

I was lazy one morning and ignored the gas cap message. Stopped at Tim Hortons and got an engine light the next nagging time. Tightened it up and it went away.

I have driven many of these and just the other day came across a lazy door lock motor. So they know about this.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

"lazy door lock motor" Perfectly stated. They work, but only 1/2 way.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:45 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Interesting a lot of these problem items are from tier two and three manufactures for GM who have poor quality control standards after making several hundred thousand of this items to spec they relax there QC and move on to another area. To Our Florida girl, my Newf likes to chase the rear wiper from inside LOL and if the sunroof is open he parks his butt on the consule and sticks his head out. Jet 1 Now I do have a spare car seat as you are never to old to have kids besides who are you going to leave your hybrid and L-39 too. Every dad wants a Naval Aviator as a son, OHHH! yes I do have a spare crib and accessories.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fjungman
Yep, absolutely. Had two of mine replaced. They go bad (at least this is how mine went) when you unlock while someone is pulling on the door handle. It seems only when the handle is actually moving when the servo attempts to unlock, not if they are holding it open. I did not have a relapse on either one that was replaced, and my wife is notoriously impatient when waiting for her door to be unlocked, so maybe they have a new design.
Same problem with wife Tahoe, rear door actuators left the building at 9K miles. Now my Silvy driver door actuator is starting to die slowly.
Wife Tahoe Steering wheel is start peeling on the airbag side, so is my Silverado steering wheel, but appears that she put her thumbs in the center part of the wheel, I just grab the circle all the time.
Her driver seat squeaks more than ridding a leather horse sit on leather pants !!!!
My Silverado doors squeaks the hell out my ears, had to put a 3M anti squeak tape and problem was solved.
Silverado Fog lights are **** lose, and can’t secure them, might put some 2ton on them for the sake of good not jumpy fogs.
The 2 center dash 12 volt outlet caps are gone for good in both truck and suv.
Also my Silverado had an issue with the steering rack, thought it was an Isolated case, but have seen 10 besides mine with the same problem, looks like the boot is not as flexible as it should be, and cracks open with lock to lock action, and you add the fact that the steering racked is non hydraulic, so GM have not make it good seals to it, so water can get in easily and bye bye rollers....new steering racked for $1400.00 no warranty cause GM Techs said to me is Impossible.
So that is for now, my Sil have 12K miles, and wife Tahoe has 16K miles.
Still love the hybrid system, to date is flawless. I was born in a chevy truck, raise in one, and been so loyal to them my entire life. All I ask is a little more quality, no Bentley, but just a little more so I can defend the brand with my chin up.
Hope this comments fall in the hands of people that can do something about it, and don't divert customers faith on GM