Power steering issue SCREW Gm and it's electric power steering

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2022, 06:26 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Power steering issue SCREW Gm and it's electric power steering

as you know my PS started having an issue do you guys think it's the POWER supply or the rack it self it only goes off for a second or two randomly while making a turn... is there any real way to know that it's a power supply issue?

it's only doing it once per drive cycle

I found a used Power supply for $110 +175 to put it in from 2013 model... i'm guessing it has to be reprogrammed correct?..
made by Denso 42v+ made in japan

let me know before i take it to the scrap yard... would it be worth a shot replacing it?

Last edited by Tahoe_08; 02-12-2022 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-18-2022, 07:57 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Power steering issue SCREW Gm and it's electric power steering

Been playing with by PSCM/Rack EPS as well as you know...have you read any codes from the PSCM? Does it lose power while you are turning the wheel or only "in a turn"?

It could be a number of things...first I would start with is checking the 42V connections/reseating them to make sure they aren't loose. Then the 3-phase motor connector to ensure that's good. If your 42V system is acting screwy, I would think you'd get a power supply fault coming from the PSCM.

Old 02-19-2022, 12:33 AM

while in a turn no CEL it does message service power steering then went away when it works a second later

it did not do it last time drove 40 miles i did have to swerve out of the way as i had gotten cut off

Last edited by Tahoe_08; 02-19-2022 at 01:30 AM.
Old 02-19-2022, 03:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tahoe_08
while in a turn no CEL it does message service power steering then went away when it works a second later

it did not do it last time drove 40 miles i did have to swerve out of the way as i had gotten cut off
There should be a PSCM code in history - when mine failed, if I held it with the torque wound up through the steering wheel, just before the wheels would break loose it would flash the message. Then the message went away. Most typically I’d see a C0460 (sensor) and C0895 (power supply) in history. I wonder if you are losing power to the motor or 42V intermittently and the code only pops up when you are putting a lot of torque into the steering wheel.

Old 02-19-2022, 02:57 PM

the first time it happened the steering wheel turned it self all the way to the right 50% almost crashing into 2 other vehicles( a red Cadillac SUV and honda) and off into the desert .....

YES i did get friction burn aka rug burn on my palms,

while I was making a left turn on a round about and the steering angle was almost 100% turned to the left in less then a quarter of a second it was forcing me right
see:
youtube com/watch?v=7lUqZUsOLEk It would not have made sense to go north as that would have wasted additional fuel as it adds 3-4 miles to where i was going....

Last edited by Tahoe_08; 02-19-2022 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-30-2022, 10:49 PM

I figured out the issue
damaged battery posts apparently the quick release cables crushes the battery posts I was able to get it working correctly by using battery terminal shims/sleeves... 100% now .... this is something to look into if a issue is present