Just Got a used HYBRID BATTERY: now what?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2021, 11:35 AM
Enthusiast
Default Just Got a used HYBRID BATTERY: now what?

I've owned a 2009 Tahoe hybrid for 2 years, bought it with a bad battery and my truck jerked and jumped for 2 years.
I've never driven it with a good, normal battery.

Green bean installed a reconditioned battery 4 days ago for $2545.
(My old battery finally gave the POBBD code, which should have come 2 years earlier imho)

Now what, what should I expect from this 2009 tahoe?

Day 1 the truck ran great and went into Auto Stop a lot, but now I notice it's not going into Autostop as often, after just 2 days.

It runs great but I thought it would get more Autostop and its getting about 18MPG in the city, up from 13 with the bad battery.

For sure, all the issues are resolved - the weird noises, the jumping, the jerking, the high RPMS at 20 MPH....all that has stoppped and the truck runs great.

QUESTION: What's normal for this truck? I've never driven it with a good battery - and wonder if this green bean battery is just weak rebuild or if it's normal
for the truck to not go into autostop until you've driven it for a while each day.

Thoughts?

Old 02-20-2021, 02:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Just Got a used HYBRID BATTERY: now what?

NiMH batteries can't be charged optimally below 50°F. They discharge just fine, and it helps them warm up, but they don't have that much juice and deplete quickly, and cold battery charging is much slower than normal.

The ONLY source of cabin heat is the ICE. If you are using cabin heat, the engine must run to supply demand.

So limited auto-stop until the battery warms up and the heat demand goes down.

Old 02-20-2021, 08:43 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
NiMH batteries can't be charged optimally below 50°F. They discharge just fine, and it helps them warm up, but they don't have that much juice and deplete quickly, and cold battery charging is much slower than normal.

The ONLY source of cabin heat is the ICE. If you are using cabin heat, the engine must run to supply demand.

So limited auto-stop until the battery warms up and the heat demand goes down.
Thank you Keith ! Great to know! By the way green bean Battery seemed like the best option - I looked around - and new battery was $$. should these reconditioned batteries run just like new for a couple years? Thoughts?

These Tahoe hybrid trucks are so fun

Old 02-20-2021, 09:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

According to GreenBean's warranty, they should last for the remainder of the life of the car. Realistically? 2-3 years. Usage and climate play a key role.

Old 03-21-2021, 07:30 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

ElectricDragon I have a 2009 Tahoe also and I put a Best Hybrid battery in it about 2 years ago at approx. 200k miles. I put up with the buck and jump BS for about 5k miles after I bought it before I went with a reman battery. Just no way to justify spending 5000 for a brand new battery for a 6000 dollar vehicle with over 200k on the odometer when you can get one for around 2500.
I have driven it approx. 40k miles since the battery replacement with no hybrid issues. However it does have its share of other stuff going on LOL.
Over that approx 40k miles I am averaging 18.6 but my Tahoe is lifted with oversize wheels and knobby Nitto Grapplers tires and I drive pretty aggressively. If you are still utilizing a stock Hybrid with low rolling resistance tires etc you should be over 20mpg easily.
On the autostop I typically start it and drive the kids about 1/2 mile to the bus stop and while we are waiting for the bus I leave it running (less than 10 mins) it drops into autostop within 10 mins every time.
There does seem to be some system programming that prevents it from going into autostop before it reaches a certain temp probably the trans temp or engine coolant temp? Definitely something there that delays it. a ggogle search would probably turn something up if you wanted to look.

Old 03-26-2021, 06:37 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

you only got 13 mpg with a bad battery? must be the way you drive I have been running M4 only and refined my driving to the point where i get 20.9mpg on average in the city... are you running 93 octane or at lest 91??

(in order to verify that you actually got 93 octane you need to see the computer timing advacement) with the 91 octane it should be in the middle 30 to upper 30s a few times i have seen 40 to 44 advancement ... this is very important to get MAX POWER and MAX fuel economy out of the engine....

i only bought this for safety as we have much higher speed limits SUV's are more likely to win in a 40-60mph accident (this is the speed limits in my area)

I think if I had access to the EVT gearing i would see about 23 with v8 mode only with the AFM disabled (chipped disabled)
it's the original battery btw... 104K

Last edited by Tahoe_08; 03-26-2021 at 06:48 PM.