Hybrid battery replacement questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2023, 04:25 AM
???
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid battery replacement questions

Originally Posted by Jeeplife78
I

Once we’re at the next place for a bit, I’ll do the entire DoD/AFM delete to get rid of that cam, I will be doing like you said, and just disable it for now though. It sucks they put that whole system in for so long, everything else is so reliable.
I've wondered about then full delete kits, but the cam has a late intake closing grind to it, I've not seen a delete cam listed for these. you could probably for a custom grind thou.

I believe this cam gives better fuel mileage at an expense of tq off idle. I forget what it's called, Miller cycle or something like that? which the electric covers for. it's how you can get 24mpg highway when a normal 6.2 gets 15 on a good day. I've wondered what it would be like with a normal truck grind, but while hptuners does some stuff, there's nothing defineded that you would normally adjust for a new cam. the guys on the boards over there tell me there's no VE table or even virtual ve table in this ecm, being hybrid they went with a completely different control strategy. I have no idea if there's enough self adjustment in there to run right on a standard truck cam. I'd love to know if works but a lot of work to find out. you can adjust wot air fuel and a few things. it's been a while since I looked. I used it to disable afm stuff and left everything else alone. then did the block off that Crazed Performance sells. once you turn it off in the tune, there's a oil passage block off that goes in where the oil pressure sensor goes, then you open the pathway on the vlom itself. the idea is you block the oil pressure going to the lifter and vent any pressure build up between the lifter on the back side. so now it can never disengage and get stuck down. once done it should be 99.9% reliable as a full delete. he's got a good YouTube channel too

https://www.crazedperformancerepair.com/afm

yes there's a small rc looking balanced board inside each cell to balance the 5 cells, but nothing from cell to cell. oddly there was a 0.01 volt difference at install, (1 of 20 cells was a tenth lower, I marked it before install) and still a 0.01v difference now. it's only been about 9k miles. I thought forsure they would drift by now. but he lists a charging cable on his site. so I'm sure at some point they will need balanced., we shall see if I'm popping the cover and doing a manual balance within 2 year warranty or not.

it's good that you don't mind working on it and find it interesting. it's kinda the type of owner needed, because you won't get support from a chevy dealer. they bleed you of money till your trade it in. so fixing them yourself is critical to ownership lol. if you don't have a high end scanner, I would. suggest picking up one of the clone tech 2's. just have it before you need it type of thing. for 300$ mine already paid for itself just in being able to access the air ride pressures while loading the trailer. getting the tongue weight right without over loading and blowing out the air level system 1000miles from home. you. might not have them, but unloaded is 21psi, max shock is 80 max compresor is 120psi. guys have blown lines off at 150 psi lol. I set the tongue weight at 80psi and all was good. 90mph at some parts and zero sway. even my 2k$ work scanner doesn't access as much as the tech 2 does. hell you need it just to jump start the truck. I joke it should have came with one in the glove box from the factory haha. enjoy the old girl, there's a few around with 300k+ without much hassle, I'm hoping to be one of those. but horror stories of them leaving you stranded far from home without a shop willing to touch it.