Capacitor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 01:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Capacitor?

I don't know what happened to that positive terminal. Now how about some definitions and descriptions that I'm hoping you can understand.

Inverter converts DC from the HV battery to AC for motors and back. The Accessory Power module APM converts HV DC to run the 14V system AND the 42V DC for your power steering.

Any time the propulsion system is active... the APM is going to do its best to provide 14V and 42V. Engine on and in Auto-Stop!

Once you get a good command of the proper terms, maybe I will explain Regulated Voltage Control to you and why the APM goes as low as 12.8V and as high as 15V

Cut into that cable and try to tell me it's aluminum!

Yes aluminum is lower conductivity than copper. More like 82% of copper. Get your facts straight.

Your claim about the engine block is what I take exception to. The spaghetti grounds? You actually have a point there. Not the way I would do it.

But! But! you still ignore the other ground paths provided by the shields in ALL those orange cables.

Old 01-23-2020, 12:43 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

HV system is Isolated from the low voltage system....

the engine block is an aluminum alloy ( 85.8% to 91.5% aluminum)

it's less then 81% due to the mix with silicon (an insulator) and blah blah blah

unless they took the time to the detail each cable

the spaghetti cables are aluminium both of them there is some damaged on one of the cables i'll snip a piece off of it if its silver color only then is aluminum and not tinned copper.
i don't see any brown copper or green

its been running good since I soldered the connections at the battery (the bad one) the thing that caused the damage was a prior accident (further weaking of the connections from the battery moving around it's missing the cage for it or the fender support bar) that **** dealer hid from me they drilled a hole to pull the dents out and using the door ..

Nothing was working when it started messing up no regeneration and the engine was running rough. mileage dropped to 13.7mpg which is about right without the hybrid module for a 6.0L engine in one of these SUVs

Last edited by Tahoe_08; 01-23-2020 at 01:13 AM.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

Maybe I am missing something: The engine starts from the 300 v battery using the drive motor, the trans aux pump is powered the same way. Why the worry about adding a capacitor to the 12 volt battery? As far as the aluminum block, the lower conductivity of aluminum would only come into play if the wire or conductor size was the same. the block is huge so there is not going to be a voltage loss thru it if the connections are good and have the proper aluminum antioxidation paste on them. For instance in the NEC, National Electrical code, if aluminum wire is used you must upsize the wire gauge to compensate for the lesser conductivity. It is also recommended to use the "Noalox" (IDEAL Brand for instance) to reduce oxidation at connections with aluminum conductors.

Old 01-23-2020, 10:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The aux pump is 12V.

Old 01-23-2020, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Hillbilly_Hybrid
The aux pump is 12V.
yes 12v AC 3 Phase motor...its ran by the AFPCM which is ran off the 12vDC60A system i i doubt they would have a step down, as like you said it would get blown out by the voltage spikes

Last edited by Tahoe_08; 01-23-2020 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:23 PM

yep pulled a strain it's 32 or 34awg aluminum wire silver color in the core= aluminium