Capacitor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 09:17 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Capacitor?

is it safe for the Inverter to have a Capacitor installed.. I plan to be increasing my electrical demands soon.. I found a 1500 farad unit in my budget High quality cells.. from OEM used

it would be in parallel with the 12v+battery... looks like i could Wedge it inbetween the battery and fuse housing

I would get some Maxwells but too much counterfeit units out there... thanks in advance

also is it possible to upgrade to lithium batteries?? LiFePO4 but same size of 1.85kw.. the computer might be unhappy with a larger size?

Last edited by Tahoe_08; 01-13-2020 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Capacitor?

A 1500 farad capacitor will do little for sustained increased demands. For intermittent surge demands, it will reduce voltage sag, but for sustained demands, you're only adding about 0.5Ah of capacity to the 12V system, so a 1000W load will deplete it to ZERO volts in about 20 seconds. It will fail to provide any benefit much sooner than that as its voltage decreases, the 12V battery is loaded more.

If you're talking about upgrading your HV battery to Lithium, sure, it's possible if you have a professional level of expertise, can spoof all 20 block voltages, can limit charge and discharge power in accordance with the limit of the LiFe battery and change those levels based on the battery SoC and temperature. Piece of cake. It's why there are so many DIY NiMH to Lithium battery conversions out there. It's also why all the companies who offer "bolt on" plug-in or upgrade kits for hybrids are growing at exponential rates and making money hand over fist.

Old 01-04-2020, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by S Keith
A 1500 farad capacitor will do little for sustained increased demands. For intermittent surge demands, it will reduce voltage sag, but for sustained demands, you're only adding about 0.5Ah of capacity to the 12V system, so a 1000W load will deplete it to ZERO volts in about 20 seconds. It will fail to provide any benefit much sooner than that as its voltage decreases, the 12V battery is loaded more.

If you're talking about upgrading your HV battery to Lithium, sure, it's possible if you have a professional level of expertise, can spoof all 20 block voltages, can limit charge and discharge power in accordance with the limit of the LiFe battery and change those levels based on the battery SoC and temperature. Piece of cake. It's why there are so many DIY NiMH to Lithium battery conversions out there. It's also why all the companies who offer "bolt on" plug-in or upgrade kits for hybrids are growing at exponential rates and making money hand over fist.

I figured it could help shore up the moment when the system resumes.... it has a large draw from the battery just like a normal car starting

yeah I just need auto stop to last longer a tiny bit longer when stopped there is a few traffic lights that are upto 3-4 min long because of left turns get a green light as well.. that is the whole reason ...

the draw from that transmission Aux pump is pretty high about 50 amps upon a start and about 40 amps running ... that is why when i had the weak battery it crumbled under the light load of an "auto start"... that tiny 12v 3 phase motor is hungry for power

Last edited by Tahoe_08; 01-05-2020 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:17 PM

so it will work without damaging the inverter system?
it's only 40$ each so it's not very expensive... i'll upgrade the wires as well cause i know mine are bad

Last edited by Tahoe_08; 01-10-2020 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:31 PM

I can't say for certain, but there's no reason to think it should. If you're willing to go "battery size" and spend $160, buy a second battery. WAY more useful and WAY more bang for the buck. All for naught if your connections are garbage.

Old 01-11-2020, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by S Keith
I can't say for certain, but there's no reason to think it should. If you're willing to go "battery size" and spend $160, buy a second battery. WAY more useful and WAY more bang for the buck. All for naught if your connections are garbage.
where could i put a second battery ?? the second spot is occupied by the inverter..

I was messing with the Cables tonight as the SUV did not want to cooperate... turns out my positive cable is damaged
well right where it connects on the battery terminals
you can see the insulation crimp coming undone.. for that to happen the cable has to be yanked pretty hard, cough cough accident..

looks like when it was in the accident (before i bought it) it has stress damage from the battery moving 50pound object at 20mph that is 300-500 pounds of weight in said accident..

it still has a pending buy back as they lied about the accident(air bag deployment)... have to call back the bond issuer on Monday... i have no faith that the air bags are genuine.. might just be confetti for all I know.

Last edited by Tahoe_08; 01-11-2020 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:16 AM

A capacitor will not cause harm on the 14V system. How many Joules of energy do you think you can store? Are the Maxwells you are looking at the 2.7V units?

That APM can spike to just over 15V. Were you planning on six of them in series?

Old 01-13-2020, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Hillbilly_Hybrid
A capacitor will not cause harm on the 14V system. How many Joules of energy do you think you can store? Are the Maxwells you are looking at the 2.7V units?

That APM can spike to just over 15V. Were you planning on six of them in series?
Prefabricated in Automotive grade package/housing , based on the number of cells it's a 6 cell system at 2.5v possibly 2.6v with many strings in parallel to get the
1,500 farads at 12v.. in a nice compact design..

Old 01-13-2020, 06:48 PM

80% of the capacitor is unusable.

Again, 0.5Ah of added capacity to a system is worthless. There is no benefit associated with the expense. Zero. It's a waste of time, space and money.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:20 PM

so a battery where would i put a second one?

Quick Reply: Capacitor?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands