AC recharge location

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2022, 01:47 PM
Enthusiast
Default AC recharge location

Does anyone know where the AC r134 recharge port is located on our Hybrids?

Old 09-20-2022, 02:14 PM
???
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: AC recharge location

Originally Posted by lvflyer
Does anyone know where the AC r134 recharge port is located on our Hybrids?

left side top, can't miss them. once pokes out of the plastic cover over the hybrid control box. the other just straight back from there by the fire wall.

just remembered these electric compressors can't use normal oil, they take POE and don't add the dye you would. it's bad too, pro damand says the factory drier has dye pack in it. so might be worth using an oem one of you're changing that. but there's also a note that says you must use a sniffer to find leaks.

if you have a leak and it's not an obvious one somewhere, replace the high side valve core, they are horrible about failing, and use some poe oil going in, they cut the sealing o ring very easily haha. listen really closely when you unscrew the high side cap, you might hear a tiny bit of air it so.
​​​

Old 09-20-2022, 05:31 PM
Enthusiast

So the one sticking up I assume is high side? My hose adapter won't fit on it. Didn't see any other. Will have to look closer. I know about oil. Just putting a squirt of pure r134 in it. Just started getting warmer. Seems when it's humid it isn't working too well. No problems for years.

Old 09-20-2022, 05:40 PM
???
Active Enthusiast

So the one sticking up I assume is high side? My hose adapter won't fit on it. Didn't see any other. Will have to look closer. I know about oil. Just putting a squirt of pure r134 in it. Just started getting warmer. Seems when it's humid it isn't working too well. No problems for years.

​​​​​​mines a 2011, unless they changed it along the way, the low side it back near the firewall straight back behind the high side.

hopefully it works. I've always thought it was weird some times mine takes a bit longer on a quick restart to kick in than I expected. looking at the high side pressure in torque app data, it just doesn't click on for a good 10 seconds or so. it was enough that I hooked it up and evacuated the system to see if it was low, but it measured within a tenth of a oz of what is called for. so I charged it back up and just deal with it. it's a bit odd, I need to find the scanner pids for ac request at some point and see if there's a delay in the request, or something else. feels kinda like your home ac, where there's a delay timer to keep from turning the compressor back on to quickly after shutting it off to avoid damage. I know the newer electric cars don't do that, but maybe these older gens they worried more about it?

Old 09-20-2022, 06:10 PM
Enthusiast

Hmm mine was normally instant. Would set on auto and it cooled right away. For the past week it got a lot less efficient. I still get Service Hybrid System on DTC and my 12 volt battery is shot, but I keep plugged into charger to top off. Since AC is on high voltage I don't think that has anything to do with it. Have you seen the lithium battery update for the high voltage. One guy told me it gave him much more time on battery alone. Too bad we can't disable the 30mph threshold to start engine or increase the trip point on torque to start engine.

Old 09-20-2022, 06:26 PM
???
Active Enthusiast

Hmm mine was normally instant. Would set on auto and it cooled right away. For the past week it got a lot less efficient. I still get Service Hybrid System on DTC and my 12 volt battery is shot, but I keep plugged into charger to top off. Since AC is on high voltage I don't think that has anything to do with it. Have you seen the lithium battery update for the high voltage. One guy told me it gave him much more time on battery alone. Too bad we can't disable the 30mph threshold to start engine or increase the trip point on torque to start engine.

huh, now I really wonder about mine. it's quick the first time or after it sits a while, but say stop for gas on a 100deg day, hop back in and it takes a little longer than expected for the compressor to kick in. the blower blows instantly though. could just be mine. at least I know the charge is right thou haha. blows nice and cold

I just received my shipment of the lithium batteries today. will see how the do.

​​​​​​gotta change that 12v battery man. I've seen threads about the ecm kicking in the vehicle shutdown because of a crash code over hooking up a charger at the wrong time and the ecm freaking out. the 12v battery is very important. that code can't be cleared without a tech 2 type of scanner mostly only dealers have. when you do get a battery, don't cheap out, gm changed the battery spec during the run, to one with more reserve. you don't need a high amp draw battery, you need more of a deep cycle type battery that can handle a long term draw. I put an optima in mine, but doesn't need to be agm, just good reserve. bad part is reserve mins is a hard treating to find since CCA sells batteries. I can't remember the spec off the top of my head.
seems these things are picky about voltage spikes and the canbus communication lines, one guy had is brake module throwing codes because he had some shop wire in a aftermarket heads up display thing that plugged into the obd2 port. picky things haha

Old 10-03-2022, 04:46 PM
Enthusiast

Yep just needed a top off. Thx for the direction

Old 10-11-2022, 07:02 PM
Enthusiast

I am also facing this problem