XM Roadie Location

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 06:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default XM Roadie Location

I'm trying to install my XM Roadie into my new 06 HCH. I did not opt for the EXPENSIVE XM option to integrate with the NAVI system... the voice integration features for XM aren't worth the $800 extra it would have cost me... and my Roadie works just fine.

Problem is, I'd like to find a nice place to install it. Has anyone completed this task yet? Perhaps you've got some suggestions on where to best mount the device and how you strung your cords.

As I see it, there are three viable places... the upper left pocket (left of the steering wheel), the lower storage area in the center of the dash, or above the cup holder in the center console. None are ideal, but they could work. The left pocket isn't large enough to house the Roadie, but I could mount it to that area (it'll stick out the width of the Roadie device).

Next problem is wiring. Mounting the antenna on the roof means stringing wires over a long distance of exposed sheet metal (since the roof is set in a few inches from the closest door entry area). Trunk lid also has it's problems. Wondering if it might be best to mount it inside on the rear shelf area by the rear glass. No metal for the magnet to stick to there, but I could glue it (hate doing anything that will mar the interior finish!!).

Other wires (power and AUX feed) are no big deal... easy to hide.

Any help from someone with experience in this would be helpful... even more so if you could post a photo or two! Thanks!!!

Old 04-15-2006, 06:50 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast
Default Re: XM Roadie Location

I have my antenna on the roof right right next to the upper left corner of the rear window (BTW, it's an 03, so I don't know if all this will work on yours). I run the wire down the seal of the rear window along the left edge - for me there's even some room to tuck in in a bit. Goes into the trunk from there. I had to drill a small hole in the plastic cover of the left-rear seat belt (from the trunk), and ran the wire up through it, tucked it behind the rear seat and up into the moulding of the left-rear passenter window. Then across to the driver window, again tucked into the moulding, and then down to the dash. I don't know what a Roadie is (I have Sirius), but if it's like mine, I have the cradle suction-cupped to the lower left front window just above the left vent.

Works well - there's only 6" of exposed antenna wire inside the car, and almost none outside.

Old 04-15-2006, 10:19 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: XM Roadie Location

I actually just installed my Pioneer XM Airware in my 06 HCH. I wasn't entirely comfortable with attaching the antenna to the exterior of the car. I actually ran the antenna cable under the glove box, down the passenger side of the car, up the passenger side of the rear seats. I used the magnetic piece I got (it had sticky on one side) to hold the antenna in place. I know my explanation is terrible, but I had the antenna as close as to where the rear window meats the plastic.

I haven't had any skipping/static when going under bridges and I usually have full reception.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,

Dan