2013 Sierra Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2024, 05:32 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2013 Sierra Hybrid

Old 09-12-2024, 07:17 PM
Enthusiast

Ok so I have a question, on a standard engine it will run with the battery disconnected as long as the alternator is good. On these hybrid would they run in theory with out the battery after being started as long as the charging system was good?

Old 09-12-2024, 07:55 PM
???
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I honestly have no idea if it would run without the 12v battery. you'd think so? what are thinking of testing?

I have a thought that maybe the flap was making the knocking noise because of a exhaust pulse out of wack.

if you look on your scanner can you find a test that will spin the engine over for a short time? so you can run a old school compression test? Just to rule out mechanical issues like a burnt intake valve or something? if that's good, I still feel like that map code is telling you something important. either bad sensor, or the intake vacuum is so out of sorts, it's throwing a code like it's bad. that compression test might help. back in the day the old mechanics would hold their hand over the exhaust pipe and if they felt like a puff puff vacuum puff puff. they would say it was a bad intake valve. that vacuum would also be why the exhaust flap was knocking.

Old 09-12-2024, 08:15 PM
Enthusiast

I think the timing is off the MAP gives readings, the Cam position sensor give any pulses to the motor control and the cam actuator never adjusts. There is 5v at both the cam pos sensor and MAP. I couldn’t get the connector off the ecu to check continuity for the signal lines and I don’t have an Oscope to check to see if the Cam pos is sending. I plan to move the truck to some concrete so I can lift it a little and get underneath were I can get to connectors easier this weekend. I’m thinking (or more hoping) those to are just wiring harness patches and not the ECU.

But as far as the battery it seems like it’s stalling when the battery dies. I can charge and drive it till the voltages and charge get low then it stalls. The battery is weak but I don’t think it’s getting a charge when the engine is running. So anyways that is were I thought about how an alternator can keep a car running without a battery and had the thought that maybe the reason it dies is because it isn’t charging

Old 09-12-2024, 08:35 PM
???

in my scanner I can find under data, I don't remember where but I have seen the 12v amp draw, that might let you know if it's charging. usually a +voltage is charging and - is running off the battery, but depends on the scanner math too. also what's the battery voltage while running? mine shows 14s when running and 11s when just key on because of all the pump loads and stuff. the inverter is supposed to be able to put out something like 175amps to the 12v system. if that's dead, that sounds bad.

only other thing that comes to mind is these fuse boxes are 2 pieces. I have seen the threads about both hybrid and none hybrid have electrical issues, pull the fuse box apart and there's corrosion. once you lift the lid there 2 handles on the side that flip up and the top have comes off.

might me something to check.

I will say, from what I read these things are picky about their 12v battery. I see a lot of threads about odd issues being resolved with a new battery. I didn't experience that thou, mine worked till it died like a normal car, replaced with new and was fine.

Old 09-12-2024, 08:44 PM
Enthusiast

This is just before it stalls, the picture with high 13v and low 14v says it’s to big

This is while it is running amp pull

Old 09-12-2024, 08:48 PM
Enthusiast

Old 09-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Enthusiast

Cam pos sensor while running

Old 09-12-2024, 08:53 PM
???

I was thinking the voltage and current of your 12v battery side. you're thinking the 12v battery is running down and stalling right?

but man those hybrid cell voltage are very low. like lower than I've seen. I'm not sure how that effects the whole thing. not sure if our scanners are the same but that seems to be putting out 29amps from the hybrid battery? mine never does that while running, mine is almost always putting a amp or 2 into the hybrid pack while the engine is running.

I'm just now sure why it's doing that. could be everything from that's normal for a hurting battery to the electric motor is the tranny ain't being used as a generator right. or even an inverter issue

Old 09-12-2024, 08:56 PM
???

Originally Posted by Pestis2013

Cam pos sensor while running

the one highlighted is your maf flow. but the top showing 0 deg. I'm not sure what it should idle at. I can look at mine tomorrow while it's idling and see what it shows.

Quick Reply: 2013 Sierra Hybrid

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands