09 Tahoe Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 01:40 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 09 Tahoe Problem

What would the best fix be? Replace or rebuild and how hard would it be to do either? I just wonder shouldn't I have something? Have no gears except neutral even in manual.

Old 11-29-2020, 06:07 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

That is good news that there are no metal shavings you might have a rebuildable unit.
there is a lot of diagnostic info put on the internet here is a link to one https://www.trnw.net/z-search/2ML70.php
None of the codes you pulled seem to relate to a transmission problem???
The last regular auto transmission I had rebuilt at a local shop was $1,800.00 but on a transmission this complex i would guess that it would be about double that, if you can find someone locally that can do it properly?
What do you think the value of your 09 unit is with 250k after repairs? A lot of people that drive these older high mileage units use a formula to decide what to do if a major repair comes up.
If a repair is going to cost more than 50% of the after repaired value it gets sold for whatever price they can get in its present state and they go buy something else, if less than 50% they fix it and keep driving.

Last edited by dnt1010; 11-29-2020 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:09 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dnt1010
That is good news that there are no metal shavings you might have a rebuildable unit.
there is a lot of diagnostic info put on the internet here is a link to one https://www.trnw.net/z-search/2ML70.php
None of the codes you pulled seem to relate to a transmission problem???
The last regular auto transmission I had rebuilt at a local shop was $1,800.00 but on a transmission this complex i would guess that it would be about double that, if you can find someone locally that can do it properly?
What do you think the value of your 09 unit is with 250k after repairs? A lot of people that drive these older high mileage units use a formula to decide what to do if a major repair comes up.
If a repair is going to cost more than 50% of the after repaired value it gets sold for whatever price they can get in its present state and they go buy something else, if less than 50% they fix it and keep driving.
Actually there were some metal chunks and what looked like a strip of thin metal in there. hard to see in the picture but they are there. the metal strip is left side center in the darker area. pulled part of it out from up above the filter connection it actually looks like leftover from machining. saw it sitting there when I looked up to see if it was tight and some of the chunks are sitting towards the back. my camera sucks for stuff like this. Is there any reason why I wouldn't have ANY gears or are these all or nothing?

Last edited by dconrad246; 11-29-2020 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:51 PM

If you have metal in there the transmission is definitely toast. At least now you know and you can figure out your next move.
I would probably be looking for a good used 2ML70 on the cheap if this were mine. looks like there are several in the recycling yards, I guess these two modes are getting older and once wrecked the insurance companies are totaling them out. The transmission is pretty well protected in its location so should be a pretty safe bet to be undamaged if it is a lower mileage unit.
Shoot you might find one for less than 1000 bucks if you you look hard enough. Surely your old truck is worth 5k? so maybe 1000 bucks for a used tranny and maybe 4 to 500 to have someone swap it in is a good investment?
As complicated as the internals are if it gets trash in the fluid it could stop up solenoids/pumps/valve body or anything in there and cause major problems and no gears.

Old 11-30-2020, 07:18 AM
Enthusiast

Nothing around my area. everything I can find is around 4000 rebuilt 6500 new. scrap yards don't seem to have them. Love this truck just wish it was easier to work on.

Old 11-30-2020, 02:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

If you can get someone to take it apart to inspect for damage, here's a source for replacement parts.

Old 11-30-2020, 04:11 PM

There are a lot of internet salvage yard parts locator sites. I found a ABS assembly through one earlier this year at a reasonable price and it came off of a low mileage unit out West in Texas.
That worked out well for me. I cannot remember the name of the salvage yard right now but they shipped it right to me and it worked out great.
Get that internet search engine busy sending out inquiries and you will run across one soon.
It took me a few days to find a suitable ABS assembly, a transmission should not be much harder but of course will be a bit pricey and then the shipping will probably cost a good bit.
i jus did a 10 second search and found one that sold earlier this year for $720.00 !!!.