08 Tahoe misfire

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2022, 04:27 AM
???
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 08 Tahoe misfire

if I'm reading the format correctly, the o2 sensors look pretty normal.

I don't know if you can read the attachments, but some fixes that popped up for that p0300 code for random missfires for hybrid says throttle body or coil. since you changed the coils, I'll try to upload the tb ones. one says they cleaned the carbon, the other said the throttle position sensor was giving bad readings and it's built in, so replaced throttle body, might be something to try. watching for smooth voltage in the scanner data. load throttle peddle % and throttle body % or voltage and see if they both go up smoothly at the same rate.

Old 05-21-2022, 04:28 AM
???
Active Enthusiast

other is to big to load. I need to resize. but you get the idea.

little more back ground I see here for that code. so p0300 is the over all misfire bad enough cat damage may occur. says you may see a flashing check engine light during really bad misfire. it also has 8 more codes for each individual cylinder misfire too. (301-308) which it kinda weird since you seems to have a 2 cyl doing it more than others you'd think it would set those individual cyl codes. but that's what it says.

for common repair procedures lists the number of reported fixes as
34 times spark plugs
12 times plug wires
7times head gaskets replaced
7 times engine valve lifters
6 times replaced intake manifold gaskets
6 times replaced valve lifter oil filter

that's just what I see in pro demand. I don't have any hands on experience with these trucks. but seems like you've covered most of those already. at least if the major engine work was done right.

Last edited by ???; 05-21-2022 at 05:06 AM.
Old 05-21-2022, 04:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ???
if I'm reading the format correctly, the o2 sensors look pretty normal.

I don't know if you can read the attachments, but some fixes that popped up for that p0300 code for random missfires for hybrid says throttle body or coil. since you changed the coils, I'll try to upload the tb ones. one says they cleaned the carbon, the other said the throttle position sensor was giving bad readings and it's built in, so replaced throttle body, might be something to try. watching for smooth voltage in the scanner data. load throttle peddle % and throttle body % or voltage and see if they both go up smoothly at the same rate.

That doesn't seem right.. How could cylinder 4 be consistently misfiring as well as cylinder 5 if it was a throttle body.

Old 05-22-2022, 06:44 PM
???
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dustinlint
That doesn't seem right.. How could cylinder 4 be consistently misfiring as well as cylinder 5 if it was a throttle body.

no clue really. there's a specific code for those cyl misfiring that's not being set either.

Old 05-22-2022, 09:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ???
no clue really. there's a specific code for those cyl misfiring that's not being set either.
yeah it's very frustrating.... the check engine will flash sometimes but during the flashing it doesn't seem to be running any harder than any other time... I'm thinking I did have the valve cover gasket off on the driver's side. And all the rockers were tight. I didn't feel any play. I'm wondering if maybe with all that sludge that was in there it did some damage.. I'm half tempted to run another few qts of Trans fluid thru the motor oil to flush it out one last time. Change oil sending filter again and fill with w thick non synthetic oil. Just to see..Ill do a compression test while I'm at it.

Old 05-24-2022, 01:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ???
Yeah today the truck was running better than usual... the check engine light was even off. (Didn't reset it or anything) was like that for a good half the day. Then the light started to flash... THEN TURNED OFF COMPLETELY again. I honestly am starting to think it doesn't even know what it wants lol. Bad computer? After the light flashed and then went out again it did eventually return to a solid luminated state a good 20 min later.... I'm so confused.

Old 07-02-2022, 07:41 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

#1 cylinder on mine fouls the plug every 6 months or so it is a high mileage engine at 261k so for whatever reason #1 cylinder seems to pull a little more oil in than the spark plug can burn off. I keep a spare spark plug in the glove box and a ratchet socket in my tool bag LOL. Takes about 2 minutes to pull the spark plug on #1cylinder. Pull it out and take a good pic and post it.
Oh watch out for that cylinder head bolt that sticks out right at #1 spark plug it WILL DRAW BLOOD!