General EV Discussion Discuss electric only vehicles (Tesla, Volt etc.)

Volt battery testing started

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Volt battery testing started

Originally Posted by pagemap

Why are people upset with GM? Because, as an American company, GM is an Ambassador of America to the World. At this point in history we have a poor image abroad as a nation of individuals who don't care about the environment and enjoy their gas-guzzlers at any expense. Fortunately, this image is incorrect, most Americans do care about the environment, but GM helps spread this image when they continue to proudly produce vehicles with horrible mileage.
What do you mean? GM is pouring tons of money into the "green" effort.

In their ad campaigns. lol!

Have you seen the one with the cute kids around the big SUV? "Green car of the year" Just shoot me now...

Old 04-23-2008, 06:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Last edited by pagemap; 04-24-2008 at 06:58 AM. Reason: removed stupid comment
Old 04-23-2008, 07:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

[quote=valerieannt;169604]
Originally Posted by Billyk

Hmmm I guess you do not pay attention while you are on this site - read how hybrid owners of the Toyota Prius and the Honda Insight get more like 80mpg not 50. How many Hummer owners are posting to this site that get 20mpg, maybe by coasting in neutral all of the time. You totally missed the point of my post - FACT- GM currently does not have anything on the market that gets near 40mpg never mind 50. FACT - the Japanese currently do!!

I do pay attention while I am on this site . I am fully aware that individual drivers of hybrid and non-hybrid vehicles can best the EPA ratings. I frequently read and anaylze the posts from an individual who has two hybrids including one that is a Honda Insight. Your posts make interesting readings for my students who point out they are not really about bashing GM.

Last edited by Billyk; 04-23-2008 at 07:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by pagemap
Point is, a lot of people are upset with GM because of their unwillingness to produce a high-mileage car. They could do it now with their brilliantly engineered 2-mode system, but they don't. This is a huge hole in their line-up.
True they don't have anything on the market, yet, but check this out:

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2005...eils_two_.html
GM Unveils Two Two-Mode Hybrids: SUV and Diesel Sedan

The Opel Astra diesel hybrid front-wheel drive concept is based on the production-version Opel Astra GTC. The hybrid combines a 1.7-liter turbo diesel engine that delivers 125 hp of power and 206 lb-ft torque with two electric motors, rated at 30 kw and 40 kw, respectively. GM expects the Astra Diesel Hybrid to deliver zippy 0-62 mph acceleration of less than 8 seconds. Fuel consumption of the Astra hybrid is 58.8 mpg

Pretty cool, eh? I think as demand shifts to higher mpg vehicles GM will respond with better offerings (I hope).

Last edited by BigTuna; 04-23-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:54 PM

Hi Martinjlm:
Thank you for your contribution to this thread.
The battery technology in the EV-1 is primitive compared to where it is today.
This is exactly my rub with virtually all car companies today. No major auto MFG is offering one.
I consider the EV1 as a technical marvel, well ahead of its time. Heating, AC, great range, style etc. Who's to know what may have developed if GM would have kept the project going. Perhaps EV generation 3 or so?
Instead we were promised a fuel cell car.
Well we have one.
Too bad it's useless thanks to the lack of hydrogen production.
So GM continues with it's pipe dream of a practical fuel cell vehicle.
Chemical batteries ready now, right when we need it.
Hydrogen "Someday".

GM might as well be researching anti-matter vehicles.
This extends the range of the vehicle to 640 miles, compared to 200 for the EV-1
That would still be 440 miles contributing to the solid gold walkway to some Arab's platinum hot tub.
This would mean that the vehicle would be of limited or no value in the other 46 states
Even here in Georgia they had charging stations at many malls. The garage where I park my car at work is wired for charging stations.
Sadly, the mall stations were removed and converted to handicap parking about 10 years ago. No EV's to use them. I can't speak for other areas, but Georgia, at least at one time was installing infrastructure for EV's.
Customers knew on the day that they signed the lease that they were going to have to give the vehicle back.
Isn't that what is expected for all leases?
Here's my rub:

(Customer) I love my EV1. It's a great car and want to renew the lease.
(GM) Sorry, we are required to take the car back now.
(Customer) Why? I'm happy to renew my lease ... I'm enjoying the vehicle and want to lease again!
(GM) Sorry we can't let you renew your lease.
(Customer) For god's sake, why?
(GM) I don't know. We can't tell you. They don't tell us anything. Give me your keys.

Why couldn't they renew their lease?
Was it (a) to test real-life performance?
Was it to (b) check whether the batteries were good enough for another lease?
Perhaps to (c) find ways to further improve on future projects.

No. It was (d). Destroy them, and make darn sure none "get away"

(Is that a nose guard on the top left one? LOL)

So GM (might) want to sell me a 40 mile range (EV mode) car for almost $50,000?

How about something like an Aptera for well under $30K?

Average charge 2-4 hours, cost $2 to charge overnight, 0-60MPH under 10 seconds, uses practically any standard 120 volt outlet. Fully loaded. Heck, the automatic climate control keeps the interior at perfect temperature 24 hours a day, even when parked! http://www.aptera.com

Even if it needs battery replacement after a few years I still come out ahead of the Volt. Yes it surely looks weird but I'd strongly consider this, or similar as my next commuter.

-Steve

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 04-23-2008 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Replaced wording with hydrogen
Old 04-23-2008, 08:01 PM

Ok, I'm off my EV1 soap box now.
It's just an old has-been 20 year old technology.

But myself, and many many others are ready for an EV.
We don't want to pay for gasoline or diesel anymore.
We don't want to change oil, replace filters and all the other expensive routine maintenance associated with petro.

Hello GM, Ford or Chrysler. IS ANYONE LISTENING TO US?

NO MORE PETRO. 100% PLUG IT IN

This is the basis of the frustration.

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 04-23-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigTuna
True they don't have anything on the market, yet, but check this out:

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2005...eils_two_.html

Pretty cool, eh? I think as demand shifts to higher mpg vehicles GM will respond with better offerings (I hope).
Wow, the Astra Diesel hybrid's 4-liters/100km is impressive. Hopefully they will sell it over here.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:53 AM
Enthusiast

[quote=Billyk;169625]
Originally Posted by valerieannt

I do pay attention while I am on this site . I am fully aware that individual drivers of hybrid and non-hybrid vehicles can best the EPA ratings. I frequently read and anaylze the posts from an individual who has two hybrids including one that is a Honda Insight. Your posts make interesting readings for my students who point out they are not really about bashing GM.
Billy, I do my research and report FACTS! I am not bashing GM. I AM stating the FACTS! We are the customer here! They are NOT listening to our needs. Just look at the majority of the cars they produce- ALL UNDER 15mpg. Look at the latest commercials- they are STILL TODAY focusing on promoting GAS GUZZLERS (look at all of the latest BUMMER commercials). I guess we should be saying GM TRUELY stands for..... GAS MONEY- you certainly will need gobs of it if you own any of their vehicles.

BTW, ANOTHER FACT---Toyota pushed GM from the number one sales slot yesterday- GM is now number 2. Quite frankly, I do not feel a bit sorry for them. They DO have the $$$ and the resources to make gas economy vehicles but instead, they choose not TO! SHAME ON GM!!!!

Old 04-24-2008, 04:06 AM
Enthusiast
Thumbs down Re: Volt battery testing started

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
Ok, I'm off my EV1 soap box now.
It's just an old has-been 20 year old technology.

But myself, and many many others are ready for an EV.
We don't want to pay for gasoline or diesel anymore.
We don't want to change oil, replace filters and all the other expensive routine maintenance associated with petro.

Hello GM, Ford or Chrysler. IS ANYONE LISTENING TO US?

NO MORE PETRO. 100% PLUG IT IN

This is the basis of the frustration.

ALLELUIA Steve!!! We are ready for EVs. I am just as upset about the EV1- what a horrible shame (thanks for posting those pics- I think that says it all)! And to top it off, they sold the battery rights to BIG OIL- now, that was real smart! Oh and try to get an EV95 AMP hour battery- Ovonic tore the assembly facility down that made battery- they decided to dismantle the factory that makes the battery so it cannot be used in EVs. People will not have a choice but to stay with PETRO!

The American car companies just don't get it! We are the CUSTOMERS here. WE are sick of being prisoners to BIG OIL and sick of funding their countries. How about the US? As AMERICAN car companies, they should have been the first to market with EVs/hybrids/gas efficiency vehicles.

SHAME ON YOU-----GM, FORD, CHRYSLER!!!!

Old 04-24-2008, 04:56 AM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by valerieannt
.....Mr. Satisified GM employee, ....
Valeriannt,

Please refer to me by my screenname or Martin. You be respectful and I'll do the same. If you'd prefer to rant at me, I have a PM box.

Peace,

Martin

Quick Reply: Volt battery testing started

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands