General EV Discussion Discuss electric only vehicles (Tesla, Volt etc.)

Volt battery testing started

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Volt battery testing started

Martin

Thanks for the insider info. I'm very excited about the Volt (or whatever it is going to be called). The 2-mode transmission is exciting too. Got big hopes for GM high MPG/alternate fuel products. Good luck!

Old 04-23-2008, 05:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

martinjlm-
Thanks for your posts, I enjoy reading how a GM employee sees things.

GM seems to be moving in the right direction with hybrids. The 2-mode system is brilliant, I just wish GM would put it inside a compact car, and produce a valid competitor to the Civic Hybrid and Prius in terms of mileage. I think GM could beat the Prius and Civic Hybrid if they put their 2-mode inside a compact.

Many commuters are looking to replace their vehicles that get 20-25MPG with ones that get 40+, but GM doesn't offer these buyers anything at the moment. Where are they forced to look? Foreign competition.

Last edited by pagemap; 04-23-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:09 PM
ELECPWR

The 2008 Toyota Prius averages 48 mpg. That is a lot closer to 50 mpg. than 15 mpg for a Hummer. Most people achieve far better that 50 mpg. anyway. just look around the sight that you are currently on. On the other hand I know people that have Hummers that get far worse the 15 mpg. on average not better. Pretty sad that the Chevy Aveo can only do roughly 10 mpg. better in the city that the Hummer. You people must love supporting OPEC Countries.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:21 PM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: Volt battery testing started

[quote=Billyk;169587]
Originally Posted by valerieannt
Just how many cars does GM have on the market getting 50mpg or more? quote]

Can you point out any new vehicle sold in this country (USA) that has a 2008 EPA rating of 50mpg or better?
Hmmm I guess you do not pay attention while you are on this site - read how hybrid owners of the Toyota Prius and the Honda Insight get more like 80mpg not 50. How many Hummer owners are posting to this site that get 20mpg, maybe by coasting in neutral all of the time. You totally missed the point of my post - FACT- GM currently does not have anything on the market that gets near 40mpg never mind 50. FACT - the Japanese currently do!!

Old 04-23-2008, 05:25 PM
ELECPWR

BRAVO...BRAVO...

Old 04-23-2008, 05:29 PM
ELECPWR

I am feeling alittle thristy... anybody got a big old icy cold gallon of gasoline... I can go about 70 miles in my car with it.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:39 PM
ELECPWR

I think I will take the electric trolly (Laurel Line) to work tomorrow...for Green Week OH!!! wait it was replaced with the BUS.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Point is, a lot of people are upset with GM because of their unwillingness to produce a high-mileage car. They could do it now with their brilliantly engineered 2-mode system, but they don't. This is a huge hole in their line-up. No one cares about hybrid SUVs that get 22 MPG..

Why are people upset with GM? Because, as an American company, GM is an Ambassador of America to the World. At this point in history we have a poor image abroad as a nation of individuals who don't care about the environment and enjoy their gas-guzzlers at any expense. Fortunately, this image is incorrect, most Americans do care about the environment, but GM helps spread this image when they continue to proudly produce vehicles with horrible mileage.

GM is bringing this criticism down upon themselves. GM procrastinated too long in getting into the high-mileage market, and now they're seeing the results. I don't think it's too late for them to recover by any means, but GM needs to put a renewed focus on fuel economy, not just in their SUVs. They need to release a real competitor to Japanese hybrids.

I wish an American company had an offering for me when I was looking for a fuel-efficient car to replace my American-made SUV. I ended up buying a Honda Civic Hybrid.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:43 PM
ELECPWR

BRAVO...BRAVO...

Old 04-23-2008, 05:47 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pagemap
Point is, a lot of people are upset with GM because of their unwillingness to produce a high-mileage car. They could do it now with their brilliantly engineered 2-mode system, but they don't. This is a huge hole in their line-up. No one cares about hybrid SUVs that get 22 MPG..

Why are people upset with GM? Because, as an American company, GM is an Ambassador of America to the World. At this point in history we have a poor image abroad as a nation of individuals who don't care about the environment and enjoy their gas-guzzlers at any expense. Fortunately, this image is incorrect, most Americans do care about the environment, but GM helps spread this image when they continue to proudly produce vehicles with horrible mileage.

GM is bringing this criticism down upon themselves. GM procrastinated too long in getting into the high-mileage market, and now they're seeing the results. I don't think it's too late for them to recover by any means, but GM needs to put a renewed focus on fuel economy, not just in their SUVs. They need to release a real competitor to Japanese hybrids.

I wish an American company had an offering for me when I was looking for a fuel-efficient car to replace my American-made SUV. I ended up buying a Honda Civic Hybrid.
THANK YOU BRIAN- SOMEONE HAS FINALLY VOICED THE SAD FACT about GM and other American car makers so slow to release a gas economical car! I think American car companies need to better define "hybrid" too. The new American hybrids that are on the market or coming to market only get between 25-30mpg- they call that a hybrid. I certainly don't. You are so RIGHT- the Japanese (Honda and Toyota) are the companies with 45+MPG as hybrids. GOOD LUCK with your Honda!

Quick Reply: Volt battery testing started

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands